looking at sound cards and vgas

ZeWrestler
The Big Ragu
Org Profile

looking at sound cards and vgas

Post by ZeWrestler » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:06 pm

hey guys,

im looking into parts for my new computer im building and i can't decide what to get for sound cards and vgas.

For vga's im thinking of going with an ATI card, but i can't decide on which one.

Sound Cards I don't know much about so I'm willing to look at any kind.

Here is the site I am purchasing all my stuff off of. http://www.computergate.com I'm willing to spend about $150 give or take a few dollars each. What do you guys recommend??

ZeWrestler
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music~Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:12 pm

I recommend you use newegg.com, they're the bestest li'l e-tailer on the whole gosh-dern inter-web. :-)

I suggest a <A HREF=http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproduct.a ... -148>Sound Blaster Audigy</A> as it comes with a Firewire port, and it's a good-quality sound card with nice sound and a good hardware feature set.

As far as the video card goes, it depends on what you want in a card. ATi cards have excellent DVD decooding and are good all-around cards, but nVisia cards blow many of them away in terms of game performance.

ZeWrestler
The Big Ragu
Org Profile

Post by ZeWrestler » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:15 pm

how about when it comes to making amvs?
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music~Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation

FurryCurry
Org Profile

Post by FurryCurry » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:30 pm

As an alternative to the Audigy, I'l reccomend the Hercules Game Theater XP. comes with a breakout box with pretty much the same stuff on it that the Audigy has, except for the Firewire ports.

Videocards: any modern videocard from ATI or nVidia will work fine, its mostly a matter of what you're willing to spend, and what you want to do with it.

*ATI's TV output, if you get a card so equipped, blows away the nVidia cards I've seen. Likewise, their RGB 2d quality seems better.

*Nvidia had better 3d gaming, in anything other than their MX line. Even the MX 440/460 do pretty well.

Both have Dual monitor support if the card is so equipped.

The nVidia drivers I find to be a little more stable and easy to work with than ATI's.

If you just want decent 2d, for web browsing, AMV making, DVD playing, etc. and are only a casual 3d gamer, you can get away with a cheap Radeon card and be a happy camper. I picked up a Radeon 7000 with TV out (its fanless, because I like it quiet) for $60 a few weeks ago in CA while I was down there for AX. Works great in my Home theater PC.
My Eyes Are The Victim's Eyes.
My Hands Are The Assailant's Hands.

afleetinghope
Org Profile

Post by afleetinghope » Mon Jul 29, 2002 10:38 pm

Pretty much anything by Sound Blaster for your sound card, and the ATI Radeon 7000 32mb is a good card for pretty much everyone.

trythil
is
Org Profile

Post by trythil » Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:05 am

You may want to check out the Matrox Parhelia. Though I know somebody here is going to argue that it's an underpowered card, Matrox has traditionally been known for the color fidelity and overall picture quality that its cards are capable of pumping out -- both of which are important factors if you edit video. (And whoop-de-doo, you get 120 frames in Quake 3 rather than 140 -- or some sort of still ludicrously high number. Big loss.)

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:18 am

I wouldn't say that the parhelia's an underpowered card, but it's not really useful unless you plan to work with multiple monitors. For the vast majority of users, an ATi or an nVidia is a better choice.

Besides, the Parhelia is new and sells for like $400 - well above this guy's budget. :-)

klinky
Org Profile

Post by klinky » Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:30 pm

Firstly your video card is NOT going play a major factor in your video editing, unless you have some crap 1MB card from 6 -7 years back.

ANY new video card out there will work basically the same when it comes to video editing, same goes for sound cards.

If you want something really cheap a Nvidia Geforce 2 Mx can be had for around $35 and a Sound Blaster Live Value can be had for around $50. Both are decent cards, both would work well for video/audio editing.

Now if you want to play 3D games that's another story. You'd probably want a Geforce3 or Radeon 8500.

that computergate.com place looks like a ripoff.

Check out newegg.com

I'd grab the Sound Blaster Live 5.1 OEM for $32
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 137&DEPA=1

and then get the Chaintech Geforce3 card for $105 or the 128MB verison for $125
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduct.a ... 487&DEPA=1

That'll get you ALOT farther then that computergate place and I've ordered over $1,000 worth of parts from NewEgg with no problems, so they won't rip your off.

~klinky

Return to “Hardware Discussion”