VCA votes ???

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
WilLoW :--)
Org Profile

VCA votes ???

Post by WilLoW :--) » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:26 am

Best Artistic

This award goes to the video whose clips artistically portray the music. The flow and sequence is spectacular, with little or no reliance on effects. You go away actually thinking about it and its meaning.

Nominees : Arima Shinjikun, Shameless Rock Video, Transcending love

No reliance on effects, uh ? :?

And this in only an example

People should read the text before voting.

Some votes are completely nonsense. There are video that, even if they are REALLY good and should be elected in many categories, don't fit the one they're in.

I hope people will read again the description of each categorie before voting, and before one single video gets all the awards.

Huhu, now I understand why GWB is US' president :D

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:43 am

Although I'm biased in saying this... but perhaps people didn't agree with the description and think that artisticness and effects actually go hand in hand?

Org Profile

Post by WilLoW :--) » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:56 am

You may be right (my votes would've looked like these ones if I hadn't read the text).

But because of that, there is a kind of redundancy between "Best effects" and "most artistic"..

and between "best concept" and "most innovative" and...

Anyway, the videos that are nominees and that I've seen deserve some awards, but I'm not sure they will get the right ones...

AD, I can't vote for you in each category !!!
:D

Uhoh, what about Alone in the world ? it has a risk not to be elected only because it has two creators...

Corran
Org Profile

Post by Corran » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:56 am

dilemma,
if someone wants to vote for co-authored videos listed twice, how do we do so, so we do not get split votes... Or is that video just screwed...

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:05 am

Regarding Alone in the World, I think Phade will just concatenate the votes on this one - it was more difficult with the nominations but for the finals it shouldn't be too bad.

The only final problem I see is that there is a 5th video that isn't in the selection because Alone in the World is in twice - not that that is anyone's fault.

As for redundancy with certain categories, I agree but I think that wouldn't always be the case. It just happens that this year we have more effects-based artistic videos. That doesn't mean, however, the one with the best effects will win - this is the difference between the categories.

Regarding innovation and copcept - although a good concept would be innovative it is possible to have an innovative video which isn't anything new in terms of concept. They are tough to detach but they *are* different and the fact that they have different videos nominated is proof, I think.

Org Profile

Post by WilLoW :--) » Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:13 am

AbsoluteDestiny wrote: As for redundancy with certain categories, I agree but I think that wouldn't always be the case. It just happens that this year we have more effects-based artistic videos. That doesn't mean, however, the one with the best effects will win - this is the difference between the categories.

Regarding innovation and copcept - although a good concept would be innovative it is possible to have an innovative video which isn't anything new in terms of concept. They are tough to detach but they *are* different and the fact that they have different videos nominated is proof, I think.
I hope voters will think about that.
Good luck for your vids !

OmniStrata
Org Profile

Post by OmniStrata » Tue Feb 25, 2003 3:27 pm

The art of fx, what's NOT artistic about it?

[believe me special fx is BOTH an art and way of expression, the nominations speak for themselves]
"Strength lies in action. Let the weak react to me..." - Kamahl, Pit Fighter from Magic: the Gathering
"That is a mistake many of my enemies make. They think before they act. I act before I think!" - Vortigern from Merlin ('98)
"I AM REBORN!" - Dark Schneider Bastard!! OAV

MeriC
Org Profile

Post by MeriC » Tue Feb 25, 2003 10:59 pm

Re: co-authored videos:

God, I hope Phade does combine the votes for Alone In the World, cuz things would get confusing. I really, really, REALLY feel bad that BOTH mine and VegettoEX's entries were listed in "Best Character Profile." I can't stand to think we may have cheated some one else out of being in the running for that category. Arggg!! I shouldn't feel guilty for having made a collaborative video, but in this case, it's insanely awkward. :oops: But... unless a true system gets made for collabortive videos in the video, I dunno how this can be fixed. It would be great if both entries in each user's profile simply pointed to ONE link, instead of the two of us having to do it seperately.

And now I've gone and talked too much. *scampers off*
New AMVs: DQCF+P (various Street Fighter) | One Guitar (BECK) | Please Don't Make Me Cry (Paradise Kiss)

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Wed Feb 26, 2003 2:05 am

Artistic impression is a hard concept to peg down to a simple definition. A video can have special effects to create an artisitc feel or use effects that work together with the artisitc feel of the video. Hence A video can have great special effects and still be a work or art or be considered artistic...

Vlad

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:55 pm

Artistic impression is a hard concept to peg down to a simple definition. A video can have special effects to create an artisitc feel or use effects that work together with the artisitc feel of the video. Hence A video can have great special effects and still be a work or art or be considered artistic...
(nod nod). To be honest, for some of the categories, I went with my own interpretations/definitions. For me, I thought artistic was just the general feel of the video and not at all effects based. I think you can have a great video that flows beautifully with the music and has great imagery without being fancy. In fact, I think digital effects some times subtracts for artistic merit (but obviously adds to technical). I mean an invert is nice an effect, but not as artistic as "flowing" to a violin or capturing an emotion for example.

Daniel ^_^
Ninja Gaijin Productions

Return to “AMV Contests”