Katsucon Winners!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Fungie½
Org Profile

Katsucon Winners!

Post by Fungie½ » Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:49 pm

The Katsucon AMV contest winners were as follows:

Best Comedy:

Gendo, Son of God
Glenn Fitzpatrick
Neon Genesis Evangelion
“Kiss Me, Son of God”
They Might Be Giants

Best Action:

Dark Metropolis
Robert Babcock
Metropolis
“Dark City Theatrical Trailer”
Trevor Jones

Best Drama:

Self Titled
Kusoyaro Productions
Various Miyazaki
“Various Beatles Songs”
The Beatles

Best Technical:

Sappy Self Indulgence
Kusoyaro Productions
Various
“Elephant Love Medley”
Ewan MacGregor, Nicole Kidman

Chairman’s Award:

Cowboy Bebop 007
VicBond 007
Cowboy BeBop
“James Bond Theme (remix)”
Moby

Best of Show:

Cowboy Bebop 007
VicBond 007
Cowboy BeBop
Moby

Viewers Choice Award (3rd place):

Super Smash Bros.
Christopher LaBianca
Various
“Metal Gear Sold 2 Main Theme”
Harry Gregson - Williams

Viewers Choice Award (2nd place):

Cowboy Bebop 007
VicBond 007
Cowboy BeBop
Moby

Viewers Choice Award (1st place):

Sappy Self Indulgence
Kusoyaro Productions
Various
“Elephant Love Medley”
Ewan MacGregor, Nicole Kidman

Congragulations to all the winners!

--Daniel

TnAdct1
Org Profile

Post by TnAdct1 » Sun Feb 16, 2003 2:20 am

My opinions on the three genre categories:

Comedy: Gendo, Son of God was a surprise IMO because I thought the the comedy category was going to go to either Bravo Drano or AMO. Still, Gendo, Son of God was an fun video, and I would definitely like to download that video.

Action: When Dark Metropolis was announced the winner, I had a feeling that Cowboy Bebop 007 was being saved up for the major awards (i.e. Best in Show), considering how Cowboy Bebop 007 was the best video in the action category (besides, when it comes to excellent videos, the Best in Show category in the Mindwarp contests are very accurate). Back to the action category, while I personally would have gone with either Do the Evolution, the Super Smash Bros. Melee video, or one of the Hellsing videos, Dark Metropolis is defintely an early contender for the Best Anime Trailer category in next year's VCA Awards (if there is an Anime Trailer category next year).

Drama: This was definitely Hsien's category with Sappy Self-Indulgence, which received a huge round of applause in the Friday night showing, and the Studio Ghibli tribute Self-Titled.

Joe Klemm

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Sun Feb 16, 2003 5:39 pm

I wish they would have spread the awards around a little more :? It was pre-judged (heck, the trophies were engraved with our names), so they could have easily made it so that more people got awards.

The awards ceremony was a nice (but cheesy :D) touch...they treated it like the Oscars, with different presenters (dressed in tuxes, no less) and triumphant background music.
But I wish they hadn't shown the winning video EVERY time an award was presented...I like Vic's Bond video and all, but watching it 3 times during one awards ceremony hurt my eyes.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

jasper-isis
P. Y. T.
Org Profile

Post by jasper-isis » Sun Feb 16, 2003 6:29 pm

Congrats to the winners.

I hope all of you had fun... I live about 20 minutes from the place and looking out the window, the weather and traffic must've been pretty damn tough. There's already over a foot of snow on the ground, and I just heard that we're getting twice that amount in the next 24 hours. :shock:

Drive safely, people.

Kusoyaro
LEGENDARY!!!
Org Profile

Post by Kusoyaro » Sun Feb 16, 2003 8:17 pm

Jasper-Isis wrote:Congrats to the winners.

I hope all of you had fun... I live about 20 minutes from the place and looking out the window, the weather and traffic must've been pretty damn tough. There's already over a foot of snow on the ground, and I just heard that we're getting twice that amount in the next 24 hours. :shock:
You know what that means, right? Surprise vacation day for Hsien! :lol: Too bad I don't have any booze to keep me warm at night :cry: And my car's stuck in a 4-foot snow drift, so I can't go out to buy any.
I have no idea how to use this new forum.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:22 pm

Kusoyaro wrote:
Jasper-Isis wrote:Congrats to the winners.

You know what that means, right? Surprise vacation day for Hsien! :lol: Too bad I don't have any booze to keep me warm at night :cry: And my car's stuck in a 4-foot snow drift, so I can't go out to buy any.
You guys are just too spoiled! Try living up here in Alberta, Canada and you'll know the definition of too much snow!
Mind you, in the last few years it must all be going down south :P by the sounds of it... Anyway, winter driving is fun!!!
Vlad

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Mon Feb 17, 2003 2:30 am

Kusoyaro wrote:I wish they would have spread the awards around a little more :? It was pre-judged (heck, the trophies were engraved with our names), so they could have easily made it so that more people got awards.

Well, one of yours and Vic's three awards were from the Fan Favorite awards, which were voted on and decided by the attendees, so they only knew that you would each get two (though they had to figure they would also be fan favorites...). I'd also say that I would figure the primary reason Vic didn't also win best action (I have nothing resembling an illusion that Dark Metropolis was a better anything than Cowboy Bebop 007... well, it's probably a better trailer...) was that they decided they didn't want to give him all the awards and decided to judge best action out of the remaining.

I'm still shocked that DM won best action. Whatever the judges were smoking when they gave the award to me, I'd like to buy their supplier a few drinks...
Kusoyaro wrote:The awards ceremony was a nice (but cheesy :D) touch...they treated it like the Oscars, with different presenters (dressed in tuxes, no less) and triumphant background music.
But I wish they hadn't shown the winning video EVERY time an award was presented...I like Vic's Bond video and all, but watching it 3 times during one awards ceremony hurt my eyes.

Heh. You weren't sitting right next to Vic... by the third time, it was hurting his eyes too. Other than it taking them until the 3rd or 4th award to put up some stairs, so we had to jump up onto the stage and the aforementioned repeat viewings of videos, I thought the awards ceremony was nice. It was also somewhat bizarre, as there were like 3 to 4 times as many people who came in for the AMV awards than for the Japanese GoH panel immediately preceeding it for Hiroaki Inoue :?
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

katrabond0037
Org Profile

congrats

Post by katrabond0037 » Mon Feb 17, 2003 10:08 am

Congratulations to all the winners. I was just happy that mine was played in the main contest:) I just wish I could have gotten there sooner to the contest. Oh well...but congrats to all of you anyway!!
Lesson number four: If you see a stranger follow him-Ed ^_^

iserlohn
Org Profile

Post by iserlohn » Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:54 pm

TnAdct1 wrote:My opinions on the three genre categories:

Comedy: Gendo, Son of God was a surprise IMO because I thought the the comedy category was going to go to either Bravo Drano or AMO. Still, Gendo, Son of God was an fun video, and I would definitely like to download that video.
^^

Wow, thanks. Gendo, Son of God was fun, and I'll probably watch it a few times here and there when I get my replacement DVDs from Vic, but yeah, I also thought AMO was going to take the award...definately not that hideous thing I made.

Ashyukun: DM totally rocked. I was thinking they were going to give the award to Smash Brothers, but I'm glad to see that they went for the more stimulating choice.

Con report will be posted in my journal once I finish making phone calls to people wondering if I'm safe and make something resembling real food. Living for the last 36 hours on chex mix, goldfish, soda, and the little things here and there that were put into the artists room is making me feel kinda lightheaded...
"I'm recording an album tonight. Funny material and laughter will be dubbed in later."
--Bill Hicks

dwchang
Sad Boy on Site
Org Profile

Post by dwchang » Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:06 pm

I wish they would have spread the awards around a little more It was pre-judged (heck, the trophies were engraved with our names), so they could have easily made it so that more people got awards.
Someone's complaining that they got multiple awards? :D Then again, I somewhat agree. I remember being at ACen '02 and they gave Joe Croasedaile Best of Show, but it was also the Best Drama (IMHO). So, I guess I agree and just wanted to give you crap.
The awards ceremony was a nice (but cheesy ) touch...they treated it like the Oscars, with different presenters (dressed in tuxes, no less) and triumphant background music.
Geez! They treated you guys REAL well at that con. I mean a ceremony and even trophies with your names on it? Wow! The best I've seen ACen ever got was awards during cosplay. So, all the ppl at cosplay (like everybody) got to see your video. Then again, it's nice enough that Quu and Michelle have a contest for us.

Then again, AnimeFEST did a very nice job too. I mean there were like no entries, but they had trophies and the video person even introduced every video and what he liked about it. Gave MJ and Wonka a lot to gloat about :-P Ushicon also let the creators stand up and introduce their videos. I give my random plug to send videos to these cons. They don't get many entries, but they treat you with respect (like Katsucon seems to).

Daniel who just now realized how off-topic he just got ^_^
Ninja Gaijin Productions

Return to “AMV Contests”