Will the Golden Donut destroy creator-sponsored contests?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
rurouni_trelane
Org Profile

Will the Golden Donut destroy creator-sponsored contests?

Post by rurouni_trelane » Sat Jul 27, 2002 10:59 am

With the coming of the holy and almighty Golden Donut, webspace will be provided for a more than nominal fee. This begs the question, though...
What will be the prizes for creator-sponsored AMV contests? Since webspace is currently what's "hip" for giving away as prizes, what can be given away instead?
I believe in equality of the sexes and all, but hey, I likes boobs.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:06 pm

Webspace can still be given im sure. A hell of a lot of people are too damn cheap to spend a single penny on hosting.

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:08 pm

I try my best to host the winners when it comes down to the MindWarp Contest.

Unfortunatly, I do pay for hosting and my provider gets pissed off and threatens to shut me down any time I host too many videos.

I'm heading to college in abuot a month so the new campus server should help out with the winners of the last mindwarp contest

rurouni_trelane
Org Profile

Post by rurouni_trelane » Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:35 pm

Machine wrote:I'm heading to college in abuot a month so the new campus server should help out with the winners of the last mindwarp contest
Hmm not likely. Colleges typically don't allow more than 50 MB of space, and that's damn generous. My college doesn't grant more than 10 or 15 MB.

Besides, everyone, Phade's offering about $2 a month per video. That's a hell of a lot cheaper than actual webspace. So really, if the prize for contests is being hosted for, say 3 months, that prize is worth 6 bucks. 6 lousy bucks. Pardon my french, but whoop dee shit. There has to be a better alternative.
I believe in equality of the sexes and all, but hey, I likes boobs.

Zarxrax
Org Profile

Post by Zarxrax » Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:41 pm

I believe he means hosting from his own pc at college, not using their servers.

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:20 pm

Yeah, if your college gives you acess to a T1 line, then screw their petty hosting plans.

And most people particpate in online contests just for the fun of it, prizes are only a happy sideffect.

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:34 pm

alternatefutures wrote:Yeah, if your college gives you acess to a T1 line, then screw their petty hosting plans.

And most people particpate in online contests just for the fun of it, prizes are only a happy sideffect.
Agreed, the prestige is more of a reward than the hosting I would think. The RVP Review doesn't give any hosting yet I hope people enjoy the recognition of just being selected. ^_^ At the end of the year though, the RVP Review winners might be up for an award of actual substance. :D

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Sat Jul 27, 2002 5:50 pm

Now, would my"secret RVP winner" vid be considered then? ^_^

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Sun Jul 28, 2002 10:45 am

alternatefutures wrote:Now, would my"secret RVP winner" vid be considered then? ^_^
As much as I'd like to, it's just gonna be a showdown of the main winners. Sorry :oops: , you still get title of best video using original CGI footage. =P

Marlex
Org Profile

Post by Marlex » Sun Jul 28, 2002 11:28 am

Zarxrax wrote:I believe he means hosting from his own pc at college, not using their servers.
I'd be careful doing that, too. I know my college gets very cranky if they see someone uploading large amounts of data.

And I'd also agree with the others in saying that winning is more important to most people that the actual hosting.

Return to “AMV Contests”