MPG compression

CaTaClYsM
Org Profile

MPG compression

Post by CaTaClYsM » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:44 pm

anyone have any good compressin settings for TMPGEC?

TobinHood
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by TobinHood » Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:58 pm

Read ErMaC'sgiude, I think he mentions it somewhere in there. Me I just use the VCD settings.
http://sakkaku.icedomain.netImageImage
I've got to stop procrasturbating.

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Sun Jul 28, 2002 9:17 pm

is that really the best thing though?

i set it to ErMaC's guide and i cant help but feel the video just looks not as good as it should be....

maybe it's just me...? :?
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:09 pm

Completely disregarding MPEG encoding for a second, the first thing to keep in mind is that regardless of what you're going to end up doing with your video...

The footage can't get any better that what you're originally providing the encoder with. If your video doesn't look so hot, MPEG-ing it won't help.

As long as your video looks good, the final result can be anywhere from crap to great.

Personally, my final AVI encodes have been 720x480 HuffyUV exports from working with VOBs. Quality can't get any better. Therefore, the MPEG encodes have been just about as good as they're going to get.

Previously, I simply used to make 320x240, 29.7 fps, 192 kbps stereo sound, 1500 kbps constant quality MPEG encodes. They looked decent.

Lately, I've been doing 352x240, 29.7 fps, 192 kbps stereo sound, variable bitrate (3000 max, 300 min, 2000 average) kbps MPEG encodes.

Check out Meri's Utena and Ceres videos, and our Bebop / "The Professional" trailer. That's what our MPEG encodes are coming out like.

Granted, we could do some more with them, more closely following along with ErMaC's guides, but at that point, I guess it's almost irrelevant. Someone's going to be viewing them on a computer, anyway, and at that point, they're pretty darn good looking.

Always be sure to put the motion precision setting thingie at slowest / best quality :D
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:35 pm

Another great way to increase quality is to both edit and encode your footage at 24fps. Most (note: MOST, not ALL) anime series run at 24fps (often dropping down to 12fps) so when you encode at 29.7 fps you're actually wasting space on 5.7 repeated frames (which counts against your bitrate, of course).

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:44 pm

NTSC runs at 29.97fps, <I>not</I> 29.7

FILM runs at 23.976fps, <I>not</I> 24

These differences in number may seem small enough to be insignificant, but they're actually very important.

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Jul 29, 2002 2:55 pm

Forgot the 9.. heh.. my bad :P.
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Mon Jul 29, 2002 3:18 pm

Yes, but you try getting Premiere to drop that extra .004 fps.

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Mon Jul 29, 2002 4:18 pm

Fortunately, the difference between 23.976fps and 23.98fps is not <I>nearly</I> as significant as the difference between 29.97fps and 30fps. :-)

alternatefutures
Org Profile

Post by alternatefutures » Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:14 pm

See, the interesting thing is that I've been editing solely at 24 FPS with 23.973 source and yet have had absolutely no problems. I even find myself with less chop than the majority of AMVs on pan shots (go figure). I just use 24 fps 'cause I don't know what will happen when I encode it in TMPEG with that .004 frame difference. Plus, integers are easier to deal with when doing frame by frame editing, that and Bryce doesn't grasp partial frames.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”