Here is a stupid or maybe smart question...

The old Video Software Help forum, left visible as an archive.

Here is a stupid or maybe smart question...

Postby Pwolf » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:19 pm

OK i don't want any flame, i just want a short and sweat answer (or maybe a long one. BUT NO FLAME PLS!!!).

OK I don't have the disk space to edit footage from .VOB i would nee at least an other 10gb and i can't spare that much. Now if i convert to HuffYUV, wow much would the file size compress? about 50% file size reduction and no or very little loss to quality? i am going to experiment on my own but i would like to know what people know.

Pwolf

PS: ok i had to say it some time... Klinky... That darn Avatar of Misato makes me laugh for some reason. everytime i see it ^_^
Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle

Postby TokyoU15 » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:35 pm

First off, how much space do you have to work with? How many episodes is the anime you're using? Converting whole episdoes into huffYUV would take up waaaaayyyyyyy too much space. I suggest you just go though the video with DVD2AVI andexport the clips that you'll need. It'll save some space.
<a href="http://www.senpaiproductions.net">Image</a>
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members/members_myprofile.php?user_id=326">View My Profile</a>
The Thrill of The Kill Is Alive and Well!
TokyoU15

well

Postby Pwolf » Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:59 pm

I am working with the whole Trigun box set. 8 dvds. i only have around 13gb free so that'll only hold about half if even that. here is an other question. what would be the file size difference?

Pwolf
Pwolf

Postby Zarxrax » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:08 pm

Huffyuv would probably be about 3 or 4 times larger than the vobs. Heck, maybe even more than that. Try splitting the vobs up into chunks of like 100mb, and delete the ones that you dont need.
Zarxrax

Postby klinky » Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:57 pm

You're SOL.

You *CAN* make D2V files of DVDs and edit off a DVD. If you did this I'd use VirtualDub to slice out portions into lossless MJPEG or HuffYUV and then import those into Premiere. Just switch DVDs when you needed a clip from a different disc. HuffYUV can take up ALOT of space very quickly, so Iam not sure if that'll help much.

~klinky
klinky

Postby The Wired Knight » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:03 pm

You'll never compress 50% with little loss of quality, it will make a HUGE diffference in pixelation. The best you can compress at optimum output with marginal distortion would be about 80% but even still I think you'll have to do more than that with the hard drive space left. When was the last time you defraged?
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
The Wired Knight

Postby Pwolf » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:03 pm

I could always wait until i get a 120gb Hd but i don't want to wait so i'll try just finding the clips i need. how well does XviD work with AP, editing wise?? does it have the same problems as with using Divx? not saying i'll edit using it, just want to know if anyone tested it?

Pwolf
Pwolf

Postby Pwolf » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:05 pm

i defraged last week
Pwolf

Postby Zarxrax » Sat Jul 27, 2002 4:48 pm

I tested xvid in Premiere. Crash and burn. Divx 3.11a works fine for me most of the time...
Zarxrax

Postby mofisto » Sat Jul 27, 2002 9:02 pm

If you are worried about space. I would also forget ripping audio. You will save some space, nothing dramatic but hey if your hard drive is a small as you say. Then forget the audio. You can always capture audio clips later if the need be.
mofisto

Postby Pwolf » Tue Jul 30, 2002 9:10 am

Lossless MPEG??? that mpeg2? i need to read Ermac's guide again.

Pwolf
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf

Re: Here is a stupid or maybe smart question...

Postby klinky » Tue Jul 30, 2002 11:57 am

Pwolf wrote:PS: ok i had to say it some time... Klinky... That darn Avatar of Misato makes me laugh for some reason. everytime i see it ^_^

Now I feel bad for being so mean :oops:

Lossy = it drops information, say it removes certain types of color information that your eyes won't notice. Things like MPEG, reg MJPEG,MPEG2, DivX.

Lossless = no information is dropped. Things like Zip compression, programs you download off the infternet CANNOT have information missing from them, so you have to compress them, but preserve the data so that when you decompress it, it's a exact copy of the original.

HuffYUV uses that type of compression. So there is NO data loss to the original image.

Now if you have MPEG2 .vob files, those are lossy and have already had a lot of data thrown out of them(data you probably won't notice is missing when you view it). How digital video conversion works is that it takes that compressed data, uses the codec to decompress it into a uncompressed bitmap frame, then takes that uncompressed bitmap and then sends it to another codec so that it can be compressed again.

So going from mpeg2 to huffyuv will not save you space, since it will be compressing, what your mpeg2 codec has already decompressed.

It's basically acts like it was never compressed at all once it comes out of the codec.

Now lossless MJPEG is alot like regular MJPEG except it doesn't drop any/as much video data as regular MJPEG.

You can pick up a lossless mjpeg codec <a href="http://www.jpg.com/video/">here</a>. Tho you have to pay for it.

~klinky
klinky

Postby Pwolf » Wed Jul 31, 2002 5:25 am

You were being mean O_o? I allready got the lossy and lossless part down, i just don't know too much about mpeg2. Thanks for the help, i turned the 4gb dvd into 1gb buy cutting the vobs.

Pwolf
ImageImage
ImageImage
Like the AMV .Org App? Think about donating to help me make it better.
Pwolf

Return to Video Software Help Archive