Video descriptions.

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
ShonenDizzyCow
Org Profile

Video descriptions.

Post by ShonenDizzyCow » Fri Jul 26, 2002 4:35 am

What do people want/need/prefer?

I’ve always wondered what’s the best thing to write for the video descriptions, often playing it safe and ending up with longish descriptions, from concept, making-of, audio background, technical information, etc.

How many of you really read the descriptions that are put up, even if it’s over 1000 words? Is there a preferred size? Too little information is bad of course but would there be cases of too much information until people just skip the whole thing?

Do people want the lyrics posted (where applicable)? Do they read it?

Do people want to know a detailed second-by-second breakdown highlight of the video from the creator’s perspective so that all the highlights/references created by the creator is not lost/go over their head? Overkill? Or should it be more interesting to both the creator and the viewer to discover them by themselves at the risk that certain elements might be missed by the audience?

Feel free to post some examples (links) of video description pages that you’ve might have liked or thought was well written.

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:19 am

i like to be vague.

that's the ticket.

ZeWrestler
The Big Ragu
Org Profile

Post by ZeWrestler » Fri Jul 26, 2002 5:37 am

i like it when people put a lot in the discription. it helps me get a better understanding of where they are coming from wit their video and shows that they care enough to put the time into their discription.
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean, if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all run around in a darkened room, munching pills, and listening to repetitive music~Kristian Wilson, CEO, Nintendo Gaming Corporation

turboneko
Org Profile

Post by turboneko » Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:14 am

Description is important for a video. I avoid vids without it, or that just say "this vid rox", like the plague.

If you are not able to spent 10 minutes to describe your video at least at a minimal level, then you probably are not going to put that much effort in your work.

My 2 cents in...
You should never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Beef
Org Profile

Post by Beef » Fri Jul 26, 2002 8:44 am

I always read the descriptions because there may be things that are explained better just incase you miss it with your eyes. Also it is good to know where your video wat thought of.
http://www.sakkakustudios.com - Witness the Illusion
<a href="http://www.animemusicvideos.org/members ... r_id=16354" target="_blank" class="postlink">ORG Profile</a>

TobinHood
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by TobinHood » Fri Jul 26, 2002 10:57 am

I always enjoy reading long descriptions, every word. It really helps me understand how someone saw certain parts in my video and if they saw them the same way I saw them when I created it. As for posting lyrics, well, it's ok to post lyrics to the song so the creator knows what part you are talking about or to post the lyrics to a part so you can tell how it matched or didn't match. If someone just posted the entire lyrics to the song though I think that'd be stupid and not help the creator at all.
http://sakkaku.icedomain.netImageImage
I've got to stop procrasturbating.

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Sat Jul 27, 2002 3:48 am

I like to put a little story behind the video and a description of basically what it is while not giving away the highlihgts of the video. Interesting stories behind the video are always fun to leave.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

post-it
Org Profile

Post by post-it » Sat Jul 27, 2002 6:19 am

when i'm looking for an AMV, I like to see three things right up front:

1) the Song and who does it.
2) the Anime's involved.
3) format and size.

everything else tends to useless unless it defines the meaning of "why" it was done.

SpPANDA
Org Profile

Post by SpPANDA » Sat Jul 27, 2002 8:13 am

i try describing the video in full, but no one ever considers that info.

so i stopped and started being vague.

FirestormXIII
Org Profile

Post by FirestormXIII » Sat Jul 27, 2002 11:34 pm

I've noticed that non-creators almost always seem to not read the video descriptions. It's annoying as hell, especially when you have important information in the description.
As for me though, I always read the descriptions, it helps give a better understanding of the video. I don't want a day-by-day account of all your editing, but I don't mind descriptions over a thousand words.
I also believe though, that while there are some things you may want to let your audience know, that the best vids don't really need a description in order to have people understand; there's just a certain amount of explaining that your vid has to do for itself.
Everyone is not the same as you.
Get over it.
And lighten up.

Return to “General AMV”