Video capturing stops?

phantom_112
Org Profile

Video capturing stops?

Post by phantom_112 » Sat Jun 29, 2002 10:34 pm

Ok I got a delema here... The only capture card I have at the moment is an old ATi Rage Pro card with VIVO.... Now my problem is that whenever i go to capture something it only captures like 30 seconds, then at playback it doesnt even play, plays the first frame and skips. So I dont know if my card is fried, I have tried new drivers and everything, so could it just be that its an agp 2x card while im running my agp at 4x?

Any thoughts anyone? Help would be appreciated...
supersai45: -makes a fist with hands-
phant112: what else do you make fists with?

thejugglinman23: it doesnt cost me anything to play with myself

Declan_Vee
Mr. Poopy Pants
Org Profile

Post by Declan_Vee » Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:31 pm

I assume you're talking about the vivo codec... well last time I checked vivo was a piece of shit, but there may have been advances... (very doubtful)
First thing to do is take off your case and make sure it isn't fired.
-I ran my Capture card w/o a heetsink for 5 weeks before I noticed it had fallen of, but it still worked.
Well the great thing about hardware it that it should come with some kind of tech support. Unless you got pirated hardware... (I wonder if anyone here has...) Otherwise use Virtualdub and try some captures in there... but from what I gather it's probably just vivo stuffing up.
And as for AGP... I can't really help you out there, sorry.
AMV Search | AMV Guides
AMV Live. "It's like Iron Chef, only too many cooks will spoil the broth"

phantom_112
Org Profile

Post by phantom_112 » Sat Jun 29, 2002 11:49 pm

I dont mean the VIVO codec i mean Video In, Video Out...

Ive used all the codecs on my computer.. mpeg 1 mepg 2, divx, mjeg etc

jbone
Org Profile

I used to have a Rage Fury Pro. I replaced it.....last month

Post by jbone » Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:47 am

Rage Fury Pro cards are old, from before the days of l33tc00ling, so there likely isn't any heatsink to worry about ('cause it doesn't need one). :)

How fast is/are your hard drive(s)? (RPM and ATA rate) Older, slow hard drives don't work well for capturing, as capturing requires a steady flow of a large amount of data to the hard drive.

Defragment your hard drive before you attempt to capture, as the data will be written more easily if all your free space is contiguous - it takes too much effort to write the video data if your free space is scattered all over the drive, and you'll lose frames.

VirtualDub probably won't recognize the Rage Pro as a capture device, so use the ATi capture software - make sure you're running the latest drivers and the latest software available for the card.

Remember that capturing at 640x480 or 720x480 is <I>four times</I> as intensive as capturing at 320x240 or 360x240. If your computer is on the old side, it may not be able to handle capturing at high resolutions. If so, see if the lower reslutions work satisfactorily for you.

Remember, you need to have a f$kton of free disk space if you expect to capture anything...and if you capture into a loosless format (such as Huffy), your final video product will look better than if you capture with an uber-compressed format.[/i]

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:48 am

Why did the forum put an "[/i]" at the end of my post? I never put that there. :-D

mexicanjunior
Org Profile

Post by mexicanjunior » Sun Jun 30, 2002 11:51 am

jbone wrote:Why did the forum put an "[/i]" at the end of my post? I never put that there. :-D
Dude! Do you have your preferences set to add a smiley after_every_post? Guess we will know when you really get upset. =P

jbone
Org Profile

Post by jbone » Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:09 pm

I do it out of habit, MJ.

Although it does take a conscious effort to make the switch from "^_^" to ":-)"

phantom_112
Org Profile

Post by phantom_112 » Sun Jun 30, 2002 3:05 pm

My computer isnt on the old side 1800 XP + 60 gig HD, sadly 5400 rpm... 40 gigs free... Its weird it says its capturing, but when i go to play the file the video just skips between the first 2 frames during the whole video..

Could be just because im trying to capture directly from my PS2 to capture card...

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:02 am

It sounds like it could be a Macrovision problem. What are you trying to capture?

phantom_112
Org Profile

Post by phantom_112 » Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:24 pm

Trying to capture Perfect Blue so that I can have way better footage than the downloaded crap im using right now... Id rather have a DVD-ROM though.... Damn money

Return to “Hardware Discussion”