Proposal for Contest structure for AnimeExpo or other cons.

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Ashton
Org Profile

Post by Ashton » Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:39 am

I agree with all of that with one acception: having an individual category for best overall means that whether a video does well or poorly is based on a decision made after the video is pressed, which is something I dont believe in. I think a better modification of this rule, and something that I have wanted to see for quit some time, is making the rules so that the winner is selected, and then removed from competition in any of the other categories. That way there would be 3-4 winners of the sub categories, and one seperate overall winner.
The anime Channel Petition Sign it if you like anime.
My member profile on the org.
オタク同士やろう! Ashton

Beowulf
Org Profile

Post by Beowulf » Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:21 pm

Ashton wrote:I agree with all of that with one acception: having an individual category for best overall means that whether a video does well or poorly is based on a decision made after the video is pressed, which is something I dont believe in. I think a better modification of this rule, and something that I have wanted to see for quit some time, is making the rules so that the winner is selected, and then removed from competition in any of the other categories. That way there would be 3-4 winners of the sub categories, and one seperate overall winner.
Absolutely. The Grand Prize winner should always be exempt from any other award. If it gets the grand prize, we already know it has the best editing and is the best in its catagory so theres no need to exclude other videos from it.

I think this is especially true with Cons like Akon that only have 3 or 4 total awards to give out. If theres 4 total awards, 500 entries, and one video winning 2-3 awards, you will have a fucking riot on your hands. I sure as hell would be pissed.

anneke
Org Profile

Post by anneke » Sun Jan 05, 2003 4:51 pm

I think it would be better to try and get Anime Expo to actually spend some time and have an exhibition showing of AMVs, showing those that don't make the contest. Instead of worrying so much about the contest.

Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Re: ...

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sun Jan 05, 2003 6:12 pm

anneke wrote:I think it would be better to try and get Anime Expo to actually spend some time and have an exhibition showing of AMVs, showing those that don't make the contest. Instead of worrying so much about the contest.

Anneke
Actually have talked with then and so has Troy...It still seems to be a uphill battle in having anthing outside the contest....We'll see, I'm going to keep pussing for changes myself. An overflow contest showing like Otakon does is what would be a great start

Vlad

The Wired Knight
Org Profile

Post by The Wired Knight » Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:29 pm

Well I alreadey stated my opinion on the list but I'm now catching up on the board. Like I said I like this structure better than what AX did last year, it's effective and scrutiny should decrease (after discussing the changes Vlad made to what is posted above). I think this would work out and hopefully AX pays these suggestions some notice.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.

Gander
Org Profile

Post by Gander » Sun Jan 12, 2003 3:29 am

In defense of Ushicon staff, I'd like to make it clear why we are not running a contest. As you may already have seen in the cosplay contest arena many cons are being scrutinize of the manner in which they judge. Having just recently come on to the con circuit we have the foreknowledge of these problems and have elected not to make our "showcases" contests. We want to nurture the fact that people want to watch anime videos and that creator want their videos watched, but we want to discourage the political side. Contests have a way of creating disappoint for a good portion of the artist while awarding few. We don't feel it is our place to pass judgment in this way. We'd rather have an open format where everyone can be happy.

anneke
Org Profile

Yeah

Post by anneke » Sun Jan 12, 2003 2:18 pm

Yeah! Good way to be!

Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

TaranT
Org Profile

Post by TaranT » Sun Jan 12, 2003 11:19 pm

Gander wrote:In defense of Ushicon staff, I'd like to make it clear why we are not running a contest....Contests have a way of creating disappoint for a good portion of the artist while awarding few. We don't feel it is our place to pass judgment in this way. We'd rather have an open format where everyone can be happy.
So, are you saying that Ushicon will show every single AMV that gets sent in? Even if there are 50 of them? 100? 200?

Even if there are no awards, just getting into the showcase (i.e. on-screen) means that there is some kind of selection process. There are limits to the amount of time and equipment - not to mention motivation - that you have to work with.

Maybe you'll get only 10-20 entries, but it is still risky making promises like this ("everyone can be happy").

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Mon Jan 13, 2003 1:56 am

Yep, I agree with that. As soon as you decide to screen AMVs, you always run the risk of being scrutinized for something. Whether it's the sound system, projector, order videos are played in or as mentioned having to pick a "selected" list due to time restraints :roll:

Each con I think just has to decide what it feels works the best for them and what they feel they can handle...

Vlad

Return to “AMV Contests”