Sakura-Con Entry Deadline Coming Up!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
CArnesen
Org Profile

Sakura-Con Entry Deadline Coming Up!

Post by CArnesen » Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:39 pm

Hmm... Deadline is February 7th... Not many entries have been received though... so either:

1) Nobody knows about the contest and I will be stuck with screening 5 AMVs...

or, the most obvious:

2) Millions of people are working so hard on their AMVs to get them in on-time that nobody has been able to talk about enterting the contest and it will be the best of the best, the cream of the crop, the one, the only, it could only be referred as THE BEST AMV CONTEST EVER!

:shock: :shock:

But seriously, I know that a lot a people are still working on their AMVs and this is just a reminder that the deadline for receiving the entries is February 7th.

If you are unable to submit an entry this year, please consider attending the event. Sakura-Con 2003 will be from April 4th-8th at the Seattle Airport Hilton Convention Center. The AMV contest will be the night of the 4th and is scheduled to start at 8pm (so seating will probably start at 7:30pm).

There are lots of hotel rooms still available and it should be a blast enjoing the weekend with 3,200+ of my closest friends!
--Chris ^_^

jal0021
Org Profile

Post by jal0021 » Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:47 pm

I'll be doing a remaster of "Sakura no Yume" this weekend to clean up the video quality some (want it to look nice on the big screen), and drop it in the mail next week.

I figure a Cardcaptor Sakura video is best for Sakura-Con. :D

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Thu Jan 09, 2003 6:28 pm

I think people aren't submitting yet because last year's Sakura con was around April 26 or so. I remember the deadline being March 30 last year as well. Probably the new early start of the con is having editors cram at the last minute.

I wish I could enter but there's no way I can finish by that Feb 7 deadline. Good luck to all who's participating.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:29 pm

Castor Troy wrote:I think people aren't submitting yet because last year's Sakura con was around April 26 or so. I remember the deadline being March 30 last year as well. Probably the new early start of the con is having editors cram at the last minute.

I wish I could enter but there's no way I can finish by that Feb 7 deadline. Good luck to all who's participating.
Originally I was worried about the entry date, but when setting the entry date I took into account other anime convention contests and 8 weeks prior to the convention seemed to be the average. Also, promotion of the contest entry deadline was first announced in October so I do apologize if creators didn't get enough notice.

--Chris ^^

Hakura
Org Profile

Post by Hakura » Thu Jan 09, 2003 8:43 pm

You should recieve ours before the deadline ^^ XD

RichLather
Location: Lancaster, OH Position: One of the Elder Statesmen of the .org
Org Profile

Post by RichLather » Thu Jan 09, 2003 9:43 pm

I missed the Ohayocon deadline for my first new one of the year; I'm gonna try to get it done for Sakura.

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Fri Jan 10, 2003 10:15 am

I did make a video expressly for this contest, and I'm holding off sending the entry until I can get a second new one finished.

However, those acceptable-media rules are a pain. I *should* be able to do SVCD, but I'm not crazy about the inherent resolution distortion. I know what a hassle accepting straight data CDs can be, but if you publish specs and stick with 'em, you'll probably have fewer problems. The Otakon ruleset* (720x480, MPEG2 or DV, bad picture quality rejected) seems to be popular: I've seen it attached to Ohayocon and Tekkoshocon so far this year.

--K

*disclaimer: the author of this post had no difficulties meeting this set of specs. He had great difficulty meeting the Katsucon digital specs (Quicktime, DV, or Final Cut-importable .avi), another good example of well-defined specifications and a perfectly fine alternative, and is thus prejudiced against them.
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

CArnesen
Org Profile

Post by CArnesen » Fri Jan 10, 2003 12:23 pm

Kai Stromler wrote:However, those acceptable-media rules are a pain. I *should* be able to do SVCD, but I'm not crazy about the inherent resolution distortion. I know what a hassle accepting straight data CDs can be, but if you publish specs and stick with 'em, you'll probably have fewer problems.
Gomen! Next year I plan on having an entry deadline for digital submissions (probably in January) and a deadline for authored submissions (in February).

BUT, if I get the promotion at work that I applied for, and save some money to get some better video production equipment ($5,000+), I'll have the final deadline for entries 4 weeks before the convention :D.

Also, I've had very few problems with SVCD. I use the TMPGEnc and set the MPEG encoding for CG/Animation and set the Motion Search to Highest Quality. I've burned the output to CDRs and played it in my DVD player on a projector and have asked people about the quality and they believe that it almost looks as good as DVD. I like to think of it as the "Poor Man's DVD." :wink:
--Chris ^_^

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:22 pm

CArnesen wrote:
Castor Troy wrote:I think people aren't submitting yet because last year's Sakura con was around April 26 or so. I remember the deadline being March 30 last year as well. Probably the new early start of the con is having editors cram at the last minute.

Originally I was worried about the entry date, but when setting the entry date I took into account other anime convention contests and 8 weeks prior to the convention seemed to be the average. Also, promotion of the contest entry deadline was first announced in October so I do apologize if creators didn't get enough notice.

--Chris ^^
Everyone was probably getting ready to cosplay for candy in October. The March 30 deadline helped out alot since barely anything exciting happens in March.
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

I'll be sending in two of my videos soon.

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Sat Jan 11, 2003 8:46 pm

Yeah that's right. I'll have two videos to send in. I've been delayed by darn audio trouble. Anyway I'm kind of new to this could you explain how your contest work and how many videos you'll show?
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

Return to “AMV Contests”