Proposal for Contest structure for AnimeExpo or other cons.

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Proposal for Contest structure for AnimeExpo or other cons.

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Fri Jan 03, 2003 11:36 pm

I have been working on a system that I feel would work the best for AnimeExpo or any other convention contest since I am looking at possibly doing one or two contests at a few small conventions this year. The following is strictly my opinion based on my experience and observations and by all means does not mean this is the best or only solution or that is will work or is meant to at every convention. I also realize that many elements are already done at many contests as well.

It is my belief, that an AMV contest should have A combination of Judge and audience determine the winners. This makes the audience part of the process as well as has certain categories judges by experts.

My concept would be as follows:

I feel they should show the entire judges award during the event and give away the same trophies and prizes for all winners. That way the awards are all equal! I feel the fans should judge maybe 4 categories (Best Action, Drama, Comedy and Parody maybe) I really feel overall best should be a category itself that the top ones are selected by the judges (top 5) and then one of those are selected by the audience. A grand prize for that category can also be done. That way it makes it fairer to the broad selection of videos.

That way, the contest could be divided up as follows:

5 videos chosen by Judges and played and awards are presented (Best Artistic, Technical, Concept, Judges Favorite, etc)
(to not give way who wins here prior, each category can have nominations of 5 announced prior and the winner is announced at the contest and only his video is played)

5 finalist videos chosen by judges in each of the four categories (Action, Drama, Comedy & Parody)- Audience chooses winner (Ballot is the most fairest, but would have to be done in a way to be counted fast! - otherwise, a system like the sound meter may be the only way for a huge audience if the results are to be known right way – This part is still up for any other suggestions).

5 finalists for best overall as selected by judges (This way, it's not restricted to a category and thus the best videos regardless of category can compete). The audience then votes for the best one as the winner!!

This way, 30 videos are played like in all the years and both the audience and the judges play a part in the contest. This I think
would be the fairest system. Third Party (Sponsored) awards can be offered as well as at AnimeExpo.

Since I am looking at possibly a few AMV contest at some smaller cons this year, so any feedback about the above would be appreciated

Vlad

anneke
Org Profile

Best Overall

Post by anneke » Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:47 pm

Having the judges just choose the finalist for best overall is not right. The audience have their own opinions on what would be the finalist for the contest, and there are far more of them. You don't want them to think the contest is rigged, or unfair.

The best overall has always been the 'fan favorite', so the best of each category by the audience is the best way. Perhaps the judgest awards can be then voted on by the audience and a different overall award could be given from the judge's awards but I don't know what it would be called. Maybe the judges could choose it, but I don't know.

Anneke
http://www.bakadeshiproductions.com
(Stop by for a different Video each month...)

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Re: Best Overall

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jan 04, 2003 12:54 pm

anneke wrote:The best overall has always been the 'fan favorite',
Unless you have a Fan Favourite category as well.

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Sat Jan 04, 2003 1:38 pm

Here's the way to do it! Take a vote based on audience applause. Place the 5 or so finalists in a large cage. Give each on of then a crude weapon. (IE: 2x4 w/ a nail through it, rusty chain wrapped in barbed wire, sub-machinegun.) And who ever dies first looses.

Quu
Org Profile

Post by Quu » Sat Jan 04, 2003 2:18 pm

i actually don't like every convention running the contest the exact same way...

one of the main reasons I never run any of the contests i help... i oly help...

I like how the different contests do things... bnecasue then you get varaty....
Lead me not to temptation, for I have deadlines

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:15 pm

Quu wrote:i actually don't like every convention running the contest the exact same way...

one of the main reasons I never run any of the contests i help... i oly help...

I like how the different contests do things... bnecasue then you get varaty....
Yes, I agree, my suggestion really is for AnimeExpo and possible a different variation for a con or two that I get involved in. Otherwise I like to see many different things anyway....

Vlad

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Re: Best Overall

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Jan 04, 2003 3:21 pm

anneke wrote:Having the judges just choose the finalist for best overall is not right. The audience have their own opinions on what would be the finalist for the contest, and there are far more of them. You don't want them to think the contest is rigged, or unfair.

The best overall has always been the 'fan favorite', so the best of each category by the audience is the best way. Perhaps the judgest awards can be then voted on by the audience and a different overall award could be given from the judge's awards but I don't know what it would be called. Maybe the judges could choose it, but I don't know.

Anneke
I agree about having fan favorate. Just a comment, But Best overall will only be chosen by the audiance from what made it into the contest anyway so the fans are being a bit "cheated" from selecting from everthing that was sent!

I would then maybe modify this to have a fan favorate from all the videos shown (not one from every catagory as AnimeExpo now does which I fell is not right) and then leave have the judges have a best overall pic as well. This would have 5 videos selected by the audiance and 5 selections by the Judges and that I think would now make it more fair and accomidating...

Thanks for the comments

Vlad

Machine
Org Profile

Post by Machine » Sat Jan 04, 2003 4:33 pm

Ushicon is a small con that won't even touch the AMV Contest scene.

Its sad too because local TX AMV creators like: MJ, Wonka, Beowulf, and myself have yet to send them any of our new videos for thei so called "showcase".

If its one thing the 4 of us love is to compete against each other. I remember when we were at AnimeFEST! Wonka has a picture of me bowing to him in defeat since his video beat mine in Best Action. Hahah Good Times. Then we all went to party.

I tried to ask them if I could run the contest for their con....its like talking to brick walls. Wonka, Beowulf, and I have all met the ushicon staff. I can't say they were too friendly with us.

Plus, they have yet to tell me if I'm running the AMV panel or not. Ugg, Damn this lack of communication. Damn the internet! :D

AbsoluteDestiny
Org Profile

Post by AbsoluteDestiny » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:03 pm

Well, in all honesty I dont care what format the AX contest is provided they stick to that format.

If you are going to have certain categories, make sure you have them and dont invent new ones because you feel like it.

If you say you are going to have prizes, then have prizes. If you award trophies and promise to post them, then post them. Don't make empty promises.

Basically do everything as advertised - that's all I'd want... no special treatment just DO THINGS RIGHT.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Jan 04, 2003 7:11 pm

AbsoluteDestiny wrote:Well, in all honesty I dont care what format the AX contest is provided they stick to that format.

If you are going to have certain categories, make sure you have them and dont invent new ones because you feel like it.

If you say you are going to have prizes, then have prizes. If you award trophies and promise to post them, then post them. Don't make empty promises.

Basically do everything as advertised - that's all I'd want... no special treatment just DO THINGS RIGHT.
Yes, I agree that' the most important thing here. My suggestions are basically on the similar lines to what AX has done but with a bit more imporvements. I've gone as far as to send them to James, the Coordinator this year and have also been talking to Brain (last years Coordinator) who this year is heading up all of Programming....

Vlad

Return to “AMV Contests”