Losing Weight So far so good (any tips)

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Re: Losing Weight So far so good (any tips)

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Jul 21, 2014 12:33 pm

Pikapwn wrote:It seems like your doing everything perfectly.

When I switched from cutting to maintaining, I had one cheat day a week, where I'd eat whatever I wanted, as Castor Troy said. When I was losing weight I was told to drink a large cup of water before every meal. For years I thought this was good for burning calories or digestion, but I recently realized this might have just been to fill my stomach up so that I eat less. Either way, it worked pretty well.
Yeah, drink TONS of water.

If you need to pee every 30 minutes, you're doing things right. :beer:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

meleechampion
Org Profile

Post by meleechampion » Mon Jul 21, 2014 5:49 pm

If you're worried about losing too much weight, you could always go back to eating more (carbs) but to avoid the "skinny" look you could start weightlifting. If for whatever reason you're also afraid to look muscle-y, trust me, you won't. Unless you're on roids you won't get that without serious years of training.

Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

Post by Pikapwn » Mon Jul 21, 2014 6:10 pm

Castor Troy wrote:
If you need to pee every 30 minutes, you're doing things right. :beer:
And if your pee's clear as water.

I also forgot to mention, you can make exercise more fun by picking up a sport. I personally recommend jiu-jitsu! Weight-lifting is a good idea too. Although, it is a lot less convenient then jogging and push-ups.

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:15 pm

Yeah...that's true. I actually may be hitting the gym soon. I've been exercising 2 days on and one day off. So far I'm actually down to 172 now. Got a couple of more weeks until the convention. However I'm keeping this up for the long term.

Thanks again for the advice.

As far as sports goes. I actually kayak once or twice a week in the summer just in calm water. I also do bowl as well, it does require form and put strain on legs and shoulders and back.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:01 am

You seem to be doing quite well with what you're doing.

For me the big thing is diet. Not exactly dieting, but messing with my diet. Eating regular meals (I eat 2 moderately sized meals a day and rarely snack in-between), portion control, and cutting down on grain while increasing protein/fat (I LOVE pasta and Pizza, so I add more meat to each of these to offset the carbs.) Also part of my deal was cutting out stress and eating out less and making my own meals, even for lunch, more regularly. All in all, since I started thing last year I've dropped from 320 to 275 on diet alone. I had set a goal at the beginning of the year to be down to my college weight of 225~250 (I started college at 250 and dropped to 225 my freshman year due to biking 12 miles a day going to and from campus) by starting exercise but an injury bowling and surgery on my leg had put a stop to that. However, I got a Y membership that begins in August and plan to start swimming again due to being low impact and something I love doing (I used to be on a swim team for our local Y back in the day) so maybe I'll hit that magic number by the time I head to Florida for my xmas vacation. Either way, the upside of everything so far for me is I've dropped down a few sizes and need to make new holes in my belts.
ImageImageImageImage

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:46 am

Wow that's really great ngsilver. Only if I could convience one of my friends it's not impossible to drop weight like that. He complains about it and doesn't do anything. He says he tries for a month and does not get anywhere. I told him he has to stick with it.

hasteroth
lost the bet
Org Profile

Post by hasteroth » Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:49 pm

ngsilver wrote:You seem to be doing quite well with what you're doing.

For me the big thing is diet. Not exactly dieting, but messing with my diet. Eating regular meals (I eat 2 moderately sized meals a day and rarely snack in-between), portion control, and cutting down on grain while increasing protein/fat (I LOVE pasta and Pizza, so I add more meat to each of these to offset the carbs.) Also part of my deal was cutting out stress and eating out less and making my own meals, even for lunch, more regularly. All in all, since I started thing last year I've dropped from 320 to 275 on diet alone. I had set a goal at the beginning of the year to be down to my college weight of 225~250 (I started college at 250 and dropped to 225 my freshman year due to biking 12 miles a day going to and from campus) by starting exercise but an injury bowling and surgery on my leg had put a stop to that. However, I got a Y membership that begins in August and plan to start swimming again due to being low impact and something I love doing (I used to be on a swim team for our local Y back in the day) so maybe I'll hit that magic number by the time I head to Florida for my xmas vacation. Either way, the upside of everything so far for me is I've dropped down a few sizes and need to make new holes in my belts.
I've dropped from 206lbs to 172lbs in a few months, I may as well buy a new belt as I've already put 6 new holes in this one...
<Hacchinya> Stirspeare: ambassador of gaysex
<Stirspeare> Hacchinya: God's own ambassador.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:06 pm

Gene Starwind 21122 wrote:Wow that's really great ngsilver. Only if I could convience one of my friends it's not impossible to drop weight like that. He complains about it and doesn't do anything. He says he tries for a month and does not get anywhere. I told him he has to stick with it.
The big thing is to stick with it. It took me a while to really begin loosing weight as I put on lbs at first. Honestly, I'm sure most doctors would be surprised with the weight loss I've had considering my diet consists of little to no fruits or veggies (fries are about the only form of veggies I eat, and what comes in my pasta and pizza sauce and salsa is the rest) but it works for me. I think a lot of it is the lack of Red Meat in my diet, but I've never really eaten red meat even as a kid.
hasteroth wrote:I've dropped from 206lbs to 172lbs in a few months, I may as well buy a new belt as I've already put 6 new holes in this one...
I may need to do that eventually. But even when I was in high school I wore a size 36~40 (depending on the brand), so dropping from a 44 down to 38 isn't that big of a deal. I can't say I'm big boned, but I've always been built like a line backer. I don't ever expect to drop below 200 lbs and I'm pretty sure I'd look anemic if I did.
ImageImageImageImage

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:34 am

So far I've stuck with it. I haven't been able to run the past couple of days. I've been moving furniture and getting the house ready. So I'll be running again tonight. For the first time in 6 years I'm below 170. I'm down to 169 now. It amazing what happens when you cut out all the fast food and soda how much weight you can lose.

Gene

Mr. Fuzzyflippers
Lets Positive Thinking
Org Profile

Post by Mr. Fuzzyflippers » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:15 am

Sounds like you're doing good. I started at 255 in January and am currently 200lbs. My biggest tip would be to eat whole foods, rather than foods with a lot of "fake" ingredients; it's also fine to have a "cheat day" once-per-week where you can eat anything you want in order to keep you from losing control of your diet. Also, like it was mentioned before, drink a LOT of water. Coffee is an appetite suppressant that you can drink as well, but avoid cream because it's loaded with fat

Return to “General Discussion”