AMV database and opinion exchange questions

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

AMV database and opinion exchange questions

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:51 pm

as I understand it, you can't post a video in the opinion exchange section unless it's cataloged in the a-m-v.org database. Understandable. My concern is that I honestly feel even though my video is technically complete, clips have been compiled to the entire song, no blank moments without footage, but since I intend to send this video to a convention next year, I don't feel comfortable having it up somewhere permanently if I still feel it's not ready
So, my question is, can I put a video on the database without putting the actually video up, put it on youtube instead to show and ask for criteria, and then take it down from youtube?
Sorry if I'm over complicating this. I've made videos before, but this is my very first contest entry, and my very first time dealing with an AMV community and I'm paranoid of making sure I get this right. I also really would like to know what experienced AMV editors think of this before I send it off to a con

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Re: AMV database and opinion exchange questions

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:01 pm

oh, and if I do add it to the database, what about the premier date? I haven't even sent this to the convention let alone know if it's even going to play there so I don't want to claim a date that might not actually happen. I'm sorry, I'm just painfully paranoid about everything involving this.

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:23 am

Dragonrider1227 wrote:So, my question is, can I put a video on the database without putting the actually video up, put it on youtube instead to show and ask for criteria, and then take it down from youtube?
Yes, that's perfectly fine. The database content is the primary thing, the upload is optional after that. It's a bit doubtful whether this is considered finished AMV or beta - in case you feel it's more of the latter case (you will still edit it after feedback), you should just post it in the feedback section without catalogue entry - beta threads are allowed there!
Dragonrider1227 wrote:oh, and if I do add it to the database, what about the premier date? I haven't even sent this to the convention let alone know if it's even going to play there so I don't want to claim a date that might not actually happen. I'm sorry, I'm just painfully paranoid about everything involving this.
Up to you - it should be the date the first public screening is available - so either Youtube publishing date, if it's not a private video, or the convention date or shortly after when you publish it at con/on web. You can set date available and premiered just a day after the convention, it's not like anybody checks it and within five years nobody will probably remember whether it was a day early or late ^^

I usually date my videos for when they get screened at con (this is the most preferable option for most of our editors, I guess, even if they don't make the finals), shortly after con or when I upload them (in case it's shortly after con) - whichever of these is fine as long as they don't differ by a large margin (week or longer is below my standard, usually)

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:03 pm

oh, so if I plan to go back and make more changes after feedback, I don't need to catalog it? Thanks helpful to know. I was really torn on understanding that

Nya-chan Production
The :< point of view
Org Profile

Post by Nya-chan Production » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:54 am

Dragonrider1227 wrote:oh, so if I plan to go back and make more changes after feedback, I don't need to catalog it? Thanks helpful to know. I was really torn on understanding that
Yeah, the database is supposed to catalog "finished" AMVs only ^^

Dragonrider1227
Org Profile

Post by Dragonrider1227 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:49 pm

That's a relief XD Thanks a lot

Return to “Site Help & Feedback”