Katsucon: Who entered?

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
iserlohn
Org Profile

Katsucon: Who entered?

Post by iserlohn » Wed Jan 01, 2003 9:06 pm

Now that the deadline's passed, it's safe to ask this question =) So, did you enter, and if so how many vids (1 or 2) and what category (drama/action/comedy)? And what did you think of the labelling rules and submission form?

I sent in 1 comedy video...first one too.
"I'm recording an album tonight. Funny material and laughter will be dubbed in later."
--Bill Hicks

Scott A Melzer
Org Profile

Post by Scott A Melzer » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:37 am

Not I...
I was pretty disgusted with how badly it was run last year. I just didn't care to push myself to make a new video for Katsucon. I don't even know if I'm going this year, even though I'm supposed to have a free pass from last year's AMV contest.

I had a ton of fun at the con. Meeting other AMV creators, the cosplay, our "This Is Otakudom" showings. That was all awesome. But almost none of what was good was because of how the convention was run. I've only been to two Katsucons, and both of them were the WORST run conventions that I've been to. Even worse than Ohayocon, where they changed about 90% of the video schedule.

I would like to note that the major exception in both cases was Big Danny T, who was just awesome. But even he couldn't fix the awfulness that was Katsucon last year.

Best of luck to those who go and enter. I hope that this year is 100x better than last year. Maybe I'll even see you there...

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Thu Jan 02, 2003 9:48 am

I sent two videos....Sword knows if they'll actually be counted as entries. One for comedy, and one for drama I believe.

The labeling rules were a pain, but fortunately I had some spare stickies from VHS labels lying around, and a fine-point enough marker to cover the CD end. The submission form was kinda bizarre: why does Katsucon need to know what recording label the bands you use are on? Do they have some deal with equipment makers to feature people using certain gear, or are they just doing market research? What does time to completion have to do with anything?

Weird, man.

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

VegettoEX
Org Profile

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:03 pm

Combine all that inane crap with the fact that the entry form had no place to write THE ANIME USED IN THE VIDEO...

And you've got another promising Katsucon.
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Website: Kanzenshuu |] ::
:: [| AMVs: Profile |] ::
:: [| Latest Video: Flashback (July 2022) |] ::

dokidoki
c0d3 m0nk3y
Org Profile

Post by dokidoki » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:25 pm

I entered! I used Linking in the Park!

Well, no. Not really...
Image Image Image
"Comedy is a dying breed." -- kisanzi // "Comedy. Serious business." -- dokidoki

Ashyukun
Medicinal Leech
Org Profile

Post by Ashyukun » Thu Jan 02, 2003 2:20 pm

I sent in my new vid, but I don't expect anyone to have to worry about it in competition. :p Something about it being a trailer and there not being a good category to have entered it into....
Bob 'Ash' Babcock
Electric Leech Productions

MeriC
Org Profile

Post by MeriC » Thu Jan 02, 2003 5:49 pm

Ugh. Worst entry form EVER! Yeah, how come it didn't ask what anime we used? O_o

VegettoEX and I sent in an action video we made a few weeks ago. Hopefully it plays nicely, not like last year, when... yuck!
New AMVs: DQCF+P (various Street Fighter) | One Guitar (BECK) | Please Don't Make Me Cry (Paradise Kiss)

iserlohn
Org Profile

Post by iserlohn » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:05 pm

They didn't ask for anime on the entry form? I could've sworn they did...they didn't ask for alias either, but Steve (the guy in charge) told me the form got remade last minute. At least the deadline was early, so the compilation issues should be OK.

The one part of the form that I loved was the "How does your video tand out/What is special about what you did?" question. Poor saps, they had no idea what was coming to them. I sent in what must be the longest liner note I've ever done - 11 pages worth. Well, they were dumb enough to ask...if they actually read it I'll be surprised.

At least there's one good thing about this video: I only had access to decent footage for 2 of the 4 segments, which meant fancy technical crap got thrown out the window. At least there's some good fun in here amongst the pompous intellectual comedy that I threw in on the side...here's to hoping the judges appreciate it and it makes the finals.
"I'm recording an album tonight. Funny material and laughter will be dubbed in later."
--Bill Hicks

Kai Stromler
Org Profile

Post by Kai Stromler » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:26 pm

I didn't initially notice a place to note video source title on the entry form, but then I just decided to write it in the 'Video(s) TITLE:' box, seeing as each column was associated with either 'submission 1' or 'submission 2'. Especially since the titles of the AMVs themselves were requested above on the lines for "Submission Title 1:>>>>>" and such. Another clue was that multiple 'videos' were allowed for under each submission column

Regardless, it was hella confusing. If I didn't use 'title' myself to describe anime properties without having to put movies under 'series' when they didn't need to be, I might have taken even longer than I did to figure it out.

--K
Shin Hatsubai is a Premiere-free studio. Insomni-Ack is habitually worthless.
CHOPWORK - abominations of maceration
skywide, armspread : forward, upward
Coelem - Tenebral Presence single now freely available

Fungie½
Org Profile

Post by Fungie½ » Thu Jan 02, 2003 6:31 pm

I entered 2 videos. My first entry is a Battle Athletes Victory video that I did for my mom, and my second entry is my Gravitation OVA video "Gravity."

I thought the entry form had everything on it. The section which said: "Video(s) Title" meant anime. Otherwise they wouldn't have asked for the title again ^^;; I found the entry form actually quite easy to fill out.

This year will be my first Katsucon, and my third convention overall. I haven't been to many, but I'm looking forward to meeting all of you and hoping that the convention goes well this year! There may have been previous faults but hopefully they can look it over and make sure the con is well run and secure.

Scott: Hope you can make it to the con! Long time no see. I wonder if Jon can make it.

Can't wait to see you all!

--Daniel

Return to “AMV Contests”