Rap AMV's

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
pmfRyuu
Org Profile

Rap AMV's

Post by pmfRyuu » Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:52 pm

I got a quick question. Does the general public of a-m-v.org like rap amvs? I've always heard that rap editors aren't as popular as other music genre editors. Idk if there's any truth to that or what, and I was just looking for some feedback.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Re: Rap AMV's

Post by pacotacoshell » Wed Jun 18, 2014 11:29 pm

I don't care what kind of music is used as long as it's a good video.

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:05 am

Hey! Skittles is rap.. technically. But yeah you don't see stuff like this very often. That's just because it isn't a mainstream music taste.
Still raps amvs aren't disliked. Tainted Donuts is rap too.

If you're talking about amvs with the modern hip-hop pop thing it's because most people here are over the age of 16.
Who would enjoy watching an amv that makes your ears bleed?
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:38 am

pacotacoshell wrote:I don't care what kind of music is used as long as it's a good video.
What this man said.

but lets face it, generally speaking for every popular rap amv, there are 100s of popular rock amvs, instrumental amvs, dubstep amvs etc. So it's pretty obvious that rap is not popular within amvs.

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:22 pm

I think in general, rap is less popular because its lyrical content is in general just not conducive to making interesting videos, especially since in most rap songs, one of the main focuses of the music is the lyrics. With other genres, often the lyrics can be ignored or made a secondary focus when editing a video, but that's really, REALLY hard to do with most rap. The "music" side of rap is usually sonically sparse, and the lyrics tend to be very self-centered, self-referential, and tend to make a lot of pop culture references. None of these things work well in AMVs except in very specific (usually parody- or comedy-centric) situations.

Pikapwn
Getting Pikapwn'd
Org Profile

Post by Pikapwn » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:56 pm

Hot Commodity is a great and relatively new video that uses a rap song. From what I understand, it was very well received by editors from this community, as well. So while rap might not be as popular (because of the reasons stated above by others), if the video's well made it'll get it's recognition. But it definitely reinforces CrackTheSky's point that good rap videos will focus on the lyrics, since that's what this one did.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:58 pm

x2 on what the boys already said about good videos and music and such. ^

Two of my favorite videos use rap music <3

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Thu Jun 19, 2014 4:16 pm

Radical_Yue wrote:x2 on what the boys already said about good videos and music and such. ^

Two of my favorite videos use rap music <3
Rice is one of the few editors out there who consistently makes incredible videos with rap songs. Another one worth mentioning, because it's just amazing:

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:36 pm

ReggieSmalls and I make rap videos quite often. DZ in general is pretty well known for using hiphop and doing it well.

There's nothing wrong with it and it's certainly very doable, but you also have to accept that there's just not as big of a fanbase for hiphop in the AMV scene.

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:12 pm

A little shameless self promotion. :3

Return to “General AMV”