How important is the soundtrack to you?

Rozard
Org Profile

Post by Rozard » Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:23 am

Chaos Angel wrote:
MistyCaldwell wrote:Maybe it's because I am a girl, but when music is getting beautiful and sad or I see someone on screen crying...it gets to me.
-Hey! I'm a guy, and it gets to me too. It's not just girls who are affected by emotional music and scenes, it's just that most guys would never admit to it.
It's because you're gay. JK!!! Music is very important to me, and thus influences my opinion on an anime series. Cowboy Bebop was a great series on it's own, but the music took it to a whole new level. I'm currently watching Hellsing, and I'm loving the music. It perfectly highlights emotions and characters. I love when an anime's music is diverse as well (Trigun). Not only does it sound cool, but music can be used as a story telling device. I don't think "Tank!" would have been appropriate at the end of Session 24 of Cowboyt Bebop, would it?
RichLather: We are guests of this forum, and as such we do not make the rules.
BishounenStalker The freedom to suck is what makes the Internet rock.

TheG-Man
Org Profile

Post by TheG-Man » Mon Jul 22, 2002 2:03 pm

Music is defnitly an important part of any serise. Heck i dont think any of us would relly be here if we didnt think music was important :) When i watch a serise that i like, i have to go find the soundtrack music afterwords. and in some case, im drawn to the sreise not becase of the stroy line wich can be so-soo, but becase of the music.
"I never get to have a coherent train of thought, so why should any one else?" Milly, http://www.ozyandmillie.org/

Bushido Philosopher
Org Profile

Post by Bushido Philosopher » Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:27 pm

of course it is. anyone who doesnt think so should get flamed. :twisted:

anyway, the music is half of the whole video. why do you think they call it a MUSIC video? if the song just sucks i mmediately delete the video, no matter how good the series or the video quality.

many people take the sound for granted, which is sad but true. they only notice when it really stinks.
"Many people want to change the world, but very few even consider changing themselves."
<<A>My Member Profile</a>> <<A>Read my Xanga</a>>

FirestormXIII
Org Profile

Post by FirestormXIII » Mon Jul 22, 2002 6:54 pm

Music is very important, very very important. In fact, IMO, it can make or break a series. Sure Cowboy Bebop is great, but the soundtrack pushed it to my number one anime because it was so good. Someone mentioned Trigun's music being diverse, and I must agree. It's diverse but still good, and it fits Vash's nature as well.
Ko Oh Yoku wrote:if the song just sucks i immediately delete the video, no matter how good the series or the video quality.
Just one question: Who decides which songs 'suck'?
I've seen a lot of people dismiss a video because they thought a song sucked, when in fact they were dismissing the song because of the type of music it fell under, not the song itself. I just happen to think discarding an entire genre of music (especially based on only a few examples) is a waste. People need to broaden their tastes, not pigeonhole them.
I'm not trying to say you do that, I was just asking.
If you're saying "if the song sucks to me I immediately delete it..." then that's different, because it's your choice.

Flint the Dwarf
Org Profile

Post by Flint the Dwarf » Mon Jul 22, 2002 8:41 pm

Who decides which songs 'suck'?

Well... that's entirely your opinion. I'd never dismiss a song because of its genre. It's not set in stone whether a song sucks or not, because someone is going to like it. And then, some songs are better if there is video set to it... or the other way around.

Unless you mean something else by your question...
Kusoyaro: We don't need a leader. We need to SHUT UP. Make what you want to make, don't make you what you don't want to make. If neither of those applies to you, then you need to SHUT UP MORE.

FirestormXIII
Org Profile

Post by FirestormXIII » Tue Jul 23, 2002 6:34 pm

flint_the_dwarf wrote: Well... that's entirely your opinion. I'd never dismiss a song because of its genre. It's not set in stone whether a song sucks or not, because someone is going to like it.
Unless you mean something else by your question...
Nope, that was exactly what I was asking. I was just thinking that a lot of people are so influenced by what's on TV (like TRL) or by other people's opinions, that they would never listen to something different, or even think for themselves whether or not they like a song on the basis of the song itself, not what someone else says about it.

Princess Garnet
Org Profile

Post by Princess Garnet » Wed Jul 24, 2002 12:53 am

Music is very important to me, music always has to fit the mood, wether it's changing from sad to a huge fight scene. There are a lot of instremental music that's important to me that plays in very sad/ importan parts of anime they are-

1)For Fruits Basket(Instremental Version)- This plays during an important part in the last episode...I don't want to give away any spoilers so I won't say anything.
2) Suichi's Theme(Gravitation)- This didn't play very often in the series although it was the main charactors theme, it always plays in a sad moment in an episode(or when something is happening between him and Yuki)
3)Sunlit Garden(Utena)- This doesn't only play when Miki's playing the piano, bnut other important parts of the shows, like when showing Utena's memories, it's always been one of my favorite intremental anime songs.
4)Aeris's Theme(Final Fantasy VII)- I REALLY don't want to give any spoilers about this song.
5)Sleepless Beauty,Intremental Version(Gravitation)- Again, I don't want to give any spoilers...

Music has always been an important part of anything, to me it's one of the music important part of an anime.

I wish my computer wasn't so stupid...then I could finish making my AMV...
-Princess Garnet

BigshotSpike
Org Profile

Post by BigshotSpike » Wed Jul 24, 2002 4:16 pm

Scenes in various anime that had great musical selections:

1.Cowboy Bebop: KoHD-When Vincent is talking to Faye in his creepy room with that beautiful song, "Is it real?" playing. Also when they played "Fingers" in a similar scene, I was totally spellbound. Now that I think about it every scene in that movie had perfect music playing.
I also loved the indian music that played while Spike was walking through the Morrocon street.

2. FLCL-I loved the scene in episode 4 where "Crazy Sunshine" kicks in. That whole seen was just amazing.

3. Princess Mononoke-Right when Ashitaka left his village and he had his theme song playing, I nearly broke out into tears. I had no idea why. It just looked and sounded so beautiful. Everytime I watch this scene it still gets me.

4. The first scene in the Escaflowne movie, with "First Vision" playing. This had to be one of the best openings to any anime.

5.The whole "Magnetic Rose" segment had amazing music. I bought the soundtrack just for that segment's amazing music throughout.

temaranight
Org Profile

Post by temaranight » Wed Jul 24, 2002 5:15 pm

Music is everything we can't say to someone, and don't know how to...our lives would be meaningless without it. It's why we make AMV's...to express ourselves, our lives, our hopes, our dreams.

I've literly broken down into tears watching Trigun, simply because the music overwhelmed me.

I can't write without music...a soundtrack for my stories you might say. If you ever read anything I've ever written, more often than not you'll find notes on the music I was listening to.

Return to “General Anime”