Source storage problems?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Source storage problems?

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun May 18, 2014 12:12 pm

Hey, a general topic that doesn't show up all the time!

I wanted to pick everyone's brain a bit - how much source do you personally keep around in a ready to edit state? What's your storage solution like? I'm at the point where a single source I've been using is taking up nearly 2TB in UTVideo and I'm considering picking up a 12TB NAS so I can get over this for a while.

So, what do you do?
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Re: Source storage problems?

Post by Ileia » Sun May 18, 2014 12:20 pm

Only what I'm currently working on. I don't have enough space to keep any source around, it gets deleted once the video is done.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun May 18, 2014 12:50 pm

Ileia wrote:Only what I'm currently working on. I don't have enough space to keep any source around, it gets deleted once the video is done.
I actually did that for years, but recently got to a point where I had multiple ideas for the same show so it stuck around. UT @ 1080p is around 1GB/min, so it's adding up REALLY fast. If i was ever to work on more than 1 or 2 projects at a time, I don't think I'd have enough space.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

macchinainterna
Org Profile

Post by macchinainterna » Sun May 18, 2014 1:01 pm

I too only keep the sources I am working with in storage. Granted now that I've built my new computer, I have several projects saved and awaiting completion. But mostly, I only stick with just one or two sources total.

imp
Org Profile

Post by imp » Sun May 18, 2014 1:04 pm

Most space I have is used up for non-amv related stuff thus I tend to not even keep a whole episode in lossless format. Basically I watch the anime, then pick the scene for the project and keep that plus like 1 sec before and after what I need. This process costs time, but saves space, time is money and space costs money, so it's a good trade-off imo <(^.^<)
Finally complete and up-to-date:
http://amv.impdevelopment.eu

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Sun May 18, 2014 3:24 pm

I'm stuck with a laptop with a 600GB for the moment, meaning that I can only really keep clips of what I'm working on at any one time. I keep a fair amount of un-clipped episodes though.
"Never fall for a tennis player. Love means nothing to them"

slimed
Org Profile

Post by slimed » Sun May 18, 2014 5:18 pm

i keep mkvs stored. queue a series to lagarith in vdub for source usage, and delete the lagariths after finishing the video.

Replay Studios
A Studio Within A Studio
Org Profile

Post by Replay Studios » Sun May 18, 2014 7:53 pm

For my dvds/blurays/downloaded footage, I usually keep forever. for my project files (lossless avis, etc) I will delete them after Im done with them.

ngsilver
The Old School Otaku
Org Profile

Post by ngsilver » Sun May 18, 2014 8:56 pm

My DVD/BD shelves are the best storage I have for footage. Beyond that, I have an 8TB JBOD on my main editing rig I use as storage for footage for my projects that wont fit on the SSDs I use for project scratch disks. Once I'm done with a source for a project, unless I have another project in mind for it, I delete the source to make room for the next. I don't edit in 1080p much and usually prefer to downscale my source to 720p. My most recent project I have 52 episodes at 720p in UTvideo and it's only 588 GB. That's still too large for my SSDs (I only have 256GB for that) so it sits on my 8TB local array.

I am in the process of obtaining the parts to build my own NAS using freeNAS and building a ZFS array of around 20+ TB. That's mainly for redundant storage of the things I collect like AMVs, but also to store some source as well. At the very least it'd give me enough extra space to move everything off my JBOD so I can convert it to a raid-5 at least for some small amount of redundancy on my local system.
ImageImageImageImage

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon May 19, 2014 7:32 am

I only keep lossless clips of the video(s) I'm working on at the moment. Generally, when I'm finished editing my video, the lossless files are deleted. The exception is when I feel that the lossless clips might be worth keeping around for a video in the future, but that rarely happens. I'm somewhat OCD about my hard drive space though...I don't like any of it to be taken up unnecessarily, and I like to keep it as clean as possible. I do this with games, too -- if I'm not going to be playing a game for a long time, I won't keep it on my hard drive.

Return to “General AMV”