Favorite editors and influences

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Re: Favorite editors and influences

Post by CrackTheSky » Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:56 pm

I've been meaning to comment in this thread for some time, but haven't had the time...finally got some free time at work so here goes. No particular order:

Koopiskeva
From an editing perspective, he actually hasn't influenced me all that much, with one exception: Paper Image, which has become probably my all-time favorite video over the years, completely revamped how I view hard cuts and has really, really limited my use of crossfades in the videos I've made since then. He's one of my favorite editors because he just makes good videos, plain and simple, and his work ethic when it comes to his videos is nothing short of admirable. He pushes the editing envelope in some way each time he releases something. Besides that though he's a cool guy in person and he's let me drive his Focus ST a couple times, so there's that.

Nostromo_vx
Is it still cool to hate on this guy? I can't say I ever really understood the ire thrown at Nostromo back around the time Magic Pad and Auriga were released...I guess being a popular editor will always attract derision. But man, Nostromo's videos are just unbelievably well put together. People tend to criticize him for being a one-trick pony that releases nothing but meaningless, "pretty trance videos" but, I dunno. I think that he's found the niche that he's good at, and has dedicated himself to perfecting it. And he has! Nobody does these types of videos better, and I don't think any of his videos are meaningless at all...they're all meticulously arranged, and there's almost always a point he's trying to convey, even if it just seems like pretty OP/ED wankery.

I could defend his videos all day, but it's also worth mentioning that Nostromo had a huge influence on my editing style. For better or for worse, the camera shake/zoom transition that's kind of his hallmark seeped its way into my videos (especially Phobia). I still resort to those techniques when I can't think of anything better...I need to make more of an effort not to do that because at this point, those techniques HAVE become overused, but the fact of the matter is that Nostromo's videos had a huge impact on my own videos in that regard, and many others' I'm sure.

Unlimited Rice
I don't think Rice can make a bad video. He's an all-around editor that can make anything into gold. Days Over Distance is probably the best Voices of a Distant Star video I've ever seen and I watch it regularly. Pedal To The Metal is just a sick, sick action video that squeezes every last ounce out of FFVII: Advent Children. Not Even A Goodbye is a 5 Centimeters Per Second video that somehow isn't just like every other 5 Centimeters Per Second video. And Brand New takes two horribly stale sources and combines them in a totally unique and touching way. He's an innovative and consistently good editor, and definitely one of my favorites.

blabbler
WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS GUY? His videos are brilliant -- they're almost all short, quirky vignettes that overflow with creativity and always end at their peak. His videos tend to get really meta (see: Betamax Cascade) and they just ooze with attitude and style. This is the type of editor I want to be -- someone who can think so far outside the box that they're able to blow the whole thing wide open and make videos that are so completely singular, that they are comparable to nothing else.

fallout161
Nobody really knows who this guy is...you may have seen his video Semi-Automatic Maiden Mahoro, but if that's all then you're doing yourself a great disservice. Much like Ricey above, this guy cannot make a bad video. He just understands how to edit, and that's all there is to it. Plus, he has a good sense of humor with his videos, especially Philosophy of Ghost in the Shell. He's not an editor that has been particularly influential to me, but again, one of my favorites by virtue of how solid his videos are.

Seriously, I could go on, but most people probably aren't too interested. But I'll list some others that I've come to have a whole lotta respect for when it comes to their editing skills. It's too difficult to pinpoint who has influenced me the most because I've absorbed so much from so many people. But here are some others that everyone should check out: aerialesque, Megamom, Pwolf, Brad/AtomX, ScorpionP, ZephyrStar, Kisanzi, and Kusoyaro, to name a few...

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:09 pm

CrackTheSky wrote: People tend to criticize him for being a one-trick pony that releases nothing but meaningless, "pretty trance videos" but, I dunno. I think that he's found the niche that he's good at, and has dedicated himself to perfecting it.
While his videos aren't my favorites, I've always been really irked that the editors who were the most vocal about his videos being the "same thing over and over again" were the same ones who were always spouting, "Edit what you want! It's for fun!". But, apparently, if you garner any amount of popularity, that no longer applies. |:
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:36 am

Centurione, Animated, MentalProdigy and Brad Demoss. It's a slightly odd combination...
"Never fall for a tennis player. Love means nothing to them"

javywhite
You belong in a museum
Org Profile

Post by javywhite » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:14 am

Koop and Animated for me! I remember watching their videos back in the day and then trying to make my own immediately after.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:55 am

Pretty much all of you people.
In one way or another, throughout the years.
<3

Ryuu-Dono
Org Profile

Post by Ryuu-Dono » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:00 pm

Tooo many to choose :bear:

Influences however I'd say Redrum, Zevs1993, Dn@ and Umika (Traumerei <3 )

Gene Starwind 21122
Samurai Master
Org Profile

Post by Gene Starwind 21122 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:03 pm

Some of my favorite editors,

Sierra Lorna, VicBond007, Senta Miller, istiv, alternatefutures (Light of Day- The amv that inspired me back at Otakon 2002) Just to name a few.
No matter what, stay calm, stay cool and live life to the fullest.
Plus as Gene would say always go big in life.
Anime Mid Atlantic AMV Contest Coordinator 2007-2011
Katsucon AMV Contest Coordinator 2010-2011
T-Mode Contest Coordinator 2013
Nekocon AMV Contest Coordinator 2014

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:07 am

Fluxmeister, Bote, Kamoc, Tyler_yj, Khameleon808, Jebadia, NME, Tsukin, Warheart, Niotex

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:08 am

Also Szwagier

Shin-AMV
Org Profile

Post by Shin-AMV » Thu May 01, 2014 11:25 am

I'm in the generic crowd of Chiikaboom/Nostromo/Koop.

Return to “General AMV”