Round 1 - Themes Up!

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Round 1 - Themes Up!

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:34 pm

Round 1 End

The themes will be posted a couple hours before the actual start date of the round (as indicated by the countdown), as the norm with all my contests. Entrants can begin working as soon as the themes are up.
The way things have been set up, Round 1 will begin with relatively easy themes to do within the week and step it up a bit each round.

Themes will vary with audio restrictions, source restrictions, effects work, and quite a bit more. Remember that while your team can select any 3 themes out of the 5 available, each video has to be a different genre and theme.
3 Different Videos. 3 Different Genres. 3 Different Themes.

Available Genres
Action
Comedy/Dance/Fun
Drama/Sentimental/Romance
Horror/Psychedelic

Split the work up however you please within your team.

Note: You may NOT post or upload your videos on any sites (Youtube, The Org, etc.) until the judging has been completed.

Non-Competing - I will be accepting non-competing solo entries from those who couldn't find a team. They will not be judged but I will post them along with all the others every round.
Non-Competing entries are expected to follow the exact same rules as the competitors.

Good luck and have fun.

Round 1 Themes

I Love That Song - Make a video with one of the following songs provided by the judges.
Jump Around! - Make a video using a series/movie that has either appeared in Shonen Jump or Shojo Beat.
Multi-anime is allowed but all sources must meet the theme.
List of all series to appear in Shonen Jump
List of all series to appear in Shojo Beat

Intro City - Make a video that parodies/mimics an anime or tv show opening. Parodying a Live Action TV show is fine. The same audio/visual style is required but credits are NOT required.
A link to the original credits being parodied is required. This theme is an exception to the time limit rule since not all intros are a full 1:30.
//examples//
Example of a video parodying the Bleach Intro.
The beginning of this video parodies Law & Order. (Original Law and Order Intro)

Magical Girls Without The Magic - Make a video using a magical girl source but use no scenes of the characters as magical girls. This means none of their signature costumes, attacks, magic or anything!
List of Magical Girl series suggestions.

Good Old Days - Make a video with absolutely NO effects, zooms, color changes, etc. Only fades, hardcuts and speed adjustments are allowed.
Example of a video that only uses crossfades/hardcuts.
Another example of No-Effects.
Yet another example!

Anicsi
Org Profile

Re: Round 1

Post by Anicsi » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:32 pm

Two questions: When you say we can select any 3 themes of the 5, does that mean that we can select one theme twice or even thrice in one round? So that every video has a different genre but the same theme? Or do the themes have to be different in each video as well?

And secondly: What's the reason why we can't upload the videos to another site? Considering the contest is only based on judges and not on popularity vote, it shouldn't be a problem, right? Or am I missing something? :oops: It's not a big deal, just wondering (we may upload the videos after each round, though, right? Don't have to wait until the end of the contest or anything? XD)

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:04 pm

Anicsi wrote:Two questions: When you say we can select any 3 themes of the 5, does that mean that we can select one theme twice or even thrice in one round? So that every video has a different genre but the same theme? Or do the themes have to be different in each video as well?
3 different videos, 3 different themes, 3 different genres, each round :P No doubling up on the same theme or genre.
Anicsi wrote: And secondly: What's the reason why we can't upload the videos to another site? Considering the contest is only based on judges and not on popularity vote, it shouldn't be a problem, right? Or am I missing something? :oops: It's not a big deal, just wondering (we may upload the videos after each round, though, right? Don't have to wait until the end of the contest or anything? XD)
You can upload your videos after the judging for each round is completed.
To be honest, this is a rule that I instated due to my views as a critic more than anything else.
With AMVs in general, beta testing can sometimes fail you and when you release a video the very first post is pointing out a massive error that no one previously brought up. It's my personal hope that people will actually be able to use the judge's critique and improve the video after the round is over, if they wish to do so that is.

When you're in the middle of a round all you can really think about is finishing the video and turning it in. You don't always stop to think about how a 1 week contest video could become something amazing. Sometimes being able to sit on a video and think about it for a bit while receiving feedback can turn a good video into a great video. So yeah, just hoping that maybe the judges will be able to help out editors improve their work as opposed to just finishing a video, tossing it online and forgetting about it.

I recognize that not everyone thinks this way and just wants to post their video the second they finish but hopefully this will let some editors stop for a moment and breath while they take a closer look at their own work.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:03 pm

sakuraslight
Need more Jiggawatts
Org Profile

Post by sakuraslight » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:07 pm

ImageImage

Anicsi
Org Profile

Post by Anicsi » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:12 pm

Waiting is boring!! :bear:

Oh and I totally forgot to reply to your answer, Yue. Using it as sort of beta-testing really makes sense. I'm usually too lazy to fix up videos after they have officially premiered, so I guess the incentive would be bigger if I hadn't uploaded it yet, indeed :D

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:21 pm

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Tue Mar 25, 2014 6:46 am

Also, is it just me or does it feel like time is moving much faster now? >_>

dreamawake
Prodigal Pen-Throttle
Org Profile

Post by dreamawake » Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:11 am

fuck, i missed it.

Radical_Yue
Org Profile

Post by Radical_Yue » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:14 pm

CastielTheFallen wrote:fuck, i missed it.

By a lot.

Return to “Team Warfare”