Speed up scrubbing in VirtualDub (Plus another issue)

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Speed up scrubbing in VirtualDub (Plus another issue)

Post by Bollocks » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:56 pm

I'm working with a 720p feature length source (117612), and scrubbing is super slow at the moment, to the extent where effective clipping is basically impossible. I thought a solution to this might be to resize the footage, so I tried using a number of different filters (Bilinear, Bicubic and Lanczos), and even at really low resolutions the scrubbing was still at the same speed. I was wondering if there was any way to speed up scrubbing, without exporting it as an avi or mjpeg first.

Also, when I load the footage into VirtualDob (I'm importing using ffvideosource), for some reason the video starts to look like utter shit, even when the original source looks fine. It does stuff like add artifacting and change the colors in a really weird way (Dark grey turning to a lavender type color is the weirdest one so far).

Sorry for putting two issues in the same thread.
"Never fall for a tennis player. Love means nothing to them"

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: Speed up scrubbing in VirtualDub (Plus another issue)

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:20 pm

It's slow because of what the decoder has to do to display it... adding more lines to the end of your script is going to make it slower as you are now making it do more work. Temporarily commenting out lines that don't alter the frame rate at all will help with scrubbing (because the script now has to do LESS work).
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:40 pm

The weird thing here is that I don't have any other lines apart from the import in the script, and I still get the slow scrubbing.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:38 pm

Either something's not configured correctly or your computer is a piece of crap then.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:45 pm

Considering it's a) a laptop and b) Not working properly, the second option seems likely. Just so I can check, what could be configured incorrectly that would cause this problem?

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:31 pm

The issue you're describing with FFMS2 sounds like it's an outdated build that can't handle 10bit input.

The solution is to upgrade:
https://github.com/FFMS/ffms2/releases
or
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1658765
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:44 pm

That seems to have fixed the colour issue. Any ideas on the other problem, or do I just need to get round to fixing this bloody computer?

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:08 pm

The only things I could suggest are to clean up your background services (with msconfig) and startup applications (with CCleaner), and other general system maintenance like flushing temp caches and cleaning the registry (both with CCleaner). The latter just being good overall advice; the background and startup stuff is more relevant, as it'd reduce the CPU/memory usage enough that you could get some better performance.

Another general suggestion would be to upgrade to AviSynth+*, in which case you might be able to get a performance boost by using multithreading and/or 64-bit (64-bit doesn't have as many plugins available for it, but if you're not using any except FFMS2 - which has 64-bit builds available - then there's little harm in at least trying it; if using the 64-bit version, you also need to use 64-bit VirtualDub). Not exactly sure how multithreading in AviSynth might interact with VDub, but again, it won't hurt to try.

*the stable release on the official website (r1576) doesn't have multithreading, as it was the last build before MT was introduced; for the MT version (r1689 or higher), see this post on Doom9 (and the one after it) for the notes on how to use it:
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p ... ost1666364

Due to the way the new cache is designed, the MT build should provide lower memory usage even if you use it in single-threaded mode.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:53 am

Sorry to sound like an idiot, but how do you actually install that build? All that's in the folder is a .dll and two folders. What do you have to do with them? I tried putting them in the avisynth+ folder, but that did nothing, and VirtualDub doesn't recognise SetFilterMTMode.

Qyot27
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:20 am

AviSynth.dll and DevIL.dll (in the system/ folder) replace the ones in C:\WINDOWS\system32 (or sysWOW32 or whatever it is for 32-bit DLLs on 64-bit versions of Windows), and the plugins in the plugins/ folder replace the ones in C:\Program Files\AviSynth+\plugins.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”