So You Want To Be A *GOOD* Anime Music Video Editor?

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Kathonic
Org Profile

Re: So You Want To Be A *GOOD* Anime Music Video Editor?

Post by Kathonic » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:06 pm

This is really helpful and I will return here often, thanks a lot! :D

KeiichiFace
Org Profile

Post by KeiichiFace » Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:30 pm

I love the emphasis on fun over winning awards. I've talked to too many folk who are trophy-crazed now!

Great read!

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:39 am

I personally think fun is the most important. I love to edit with music I enjoy which is usually different from what most people like. Meh, it's just me. Whenever I try to edit to something mainstream I feel like I'm selling myself short. I have to truly enjoy what I am editing to.

A good concept or going for something creative is always good as well.

Aleesey
Org Profile

Post by Aleesey » Sat May 17, 2014 10:50 pm

This is my latest video, the song is written and preformed by my boyfriend Aaron. I decided to make an amv for it ^.^. Please subscribe and share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxE4kuu ... hguOIEENaA

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Tue May 27, 2014 8:17 pm

Wish I could win something one day.

Was wondering if anyone knows how to make AMVs that people will actually watch?

Do I need to sell myself short and edit with Naruto and Simple Plan? LOL

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Tue May 27, 2014 8:44 pm

If you really put a lot of stock in winning, then sure, pandering can help. Just know that it wouldn't be your video/editing that they liked, just the anime or the song. Kind of an empty win, really.

Honestly, though, I think editors often to put too much emphasis on winning contests, as if that's the only way to validate their hobby. Do you like your videos? Do you enjoy the process of editing? Then you're good. Try not to get down on yourself about awards.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Wed May 28, 2014 10:35 am

Ileia wrote:If you really put a lot of stock in winning, then sure, pandering can help. Just know that it wouldn't be your video/editing that they liked, just the anime or the song. Kind of an empty win, really.

Honestly, though, I think editors often to put too much emphasis on winning contests, as if that's the only way to validate their hobby. Do you like your videos? Do you enjoy the process of editing? Then you're good. Try not to get down on yourself about awards.
You are right, it would just be nice as I am aging and finding editing more difficult as time goes on. My kids like my AMVs so I guess they are the most important fans :)

Rodders92
Org Profile

Post by Rodders92 » Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:09 pm

This is really informative and has helped me a lot! I'm a film maker from the UK and have recently made my first AMV as I'm a big anime fan and get a lot of inspiration from it.
Here is my first AMV, would love to hear some feedback on it :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu8e-c7 ... d28sz9i9eQ

darkfiretkd
Org Profile

Post by darkfiretkd » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:10 am

thanks for the guide
Freelancer / Part-time AMV.MAD Editor/ Part-time Traveller/ Taekwondo Enthusiast (2nd Dan Black Belt)
I am Chinese Filipino 🇨🇳🇵🇭 (Fujian, China Origin and Filipino Origin) / Deng Xiao Thought ~ 致富光荣 ~
BILIBILI (Mainland China) /Youtube / BILIBILI TV (South East Asia)

EMrain
Org Profile

Post by EMrain » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:53 am

godix wrote:Odds are that you will never make one of those dozen or so. I'm not trying to discourage you from editing. I just feel it should be for the right reasons.

Dude, there's nothing wrong with wanting to show off your editing skills to the world, especially when your AMV is an awesome one. The reason why I lost the AMV competitions I entered was because of the unpolished editing which I had absolutely no time to fix before the deadline, but that's another story entirely. Back on track.

For me, AMV editing is really fun! But I tend to get disappointed and when I'm taking my video editing skills to the next level and I don't succeed in the way I had once hoped. That's when it gets stressful. The AMV scene is a very intense and competitive scene to be a part of, (I'm talking in terms of AMVs in general, not just contests) the competitive pressure from the community is what really hits me the most, it stresses me out, but I guess that's just part of how it is. I will still make awesome AMVs!

My opinion on your guide: Very useful technical information, this will definitely help me in my AMV editing and sharpen my overall video editing skills. I really found the technical information on each of the aspects very detailed and I will take everything mentioned into account.

About the color theory: it has to do with how the brain responds to different colors being shown, as certain visible frequencies in the electromagnetic spectrum of light can trigger different responses in the nervous system and the brain. It could also be said that colors like tree-leaf green or sky blue are more calming because sights of the sky and a peaceful forest don't usually evoke a danger response in the brain, while more intense and more vibrant colors do.

Return to “General AMV”