Looking For Advice On Cleaning Kanon 2006 Footage

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Looking For Advice On Cleaning Kanon 2006 Footage

Post by TwilightChrono » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:44 pm

I've never been too savvy with Scripting, especially when it comes to cleaning footage. I generally do alright for myself, but I'm trying to get the best out of this source.

I just finished ripping the first disc and I was curious if anyone had any ideas. I used the DVDFab HD Decryptor and the footage looks REALLY good as is but I know from experience that it can be better.

So, right now it is in .vob form but I was curious if anyone who has worked with Kanon 2006 as a source could give me a few pointers.

I realize that there is no such thing as a 1 script fixes all answer, but any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

I'll be providing screens shortly.
Premiering At Another Anime Con 2012

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Re: Looking For Advice On Cleaning Kanon 2006 Footage

Post by TwilightChrono » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:58 pm

Sorry for the double post. But here are the pics of the footage as it stands right now in vob:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:37 pm

Can anyone provide a little insight please?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:43 pm

Post the script you are using on this footage.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:04 pm

The screenshots seem to be straight out of VLC. He probably hasn't made a script yet. Considering he says they're in .vob form, it sounds like he hasn't even indexed them yet, actually.

Either way, tfm().tdecimate(mode=1) should do the job just fine (iirc kanon didn't have vfr nor particular pattern changes, so a very simple automatic ivtc should suffice; the BDs were progressive, too).
Crop the sides as needed and resize accordingly (this should help).
You don't really need to touch anything else. If you really want to squeeze the quality out of kanon, get your hands on the BDs, as they are worth it in this case (unlike Haruhi).

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:59 pm

Thanks for the input Mirk. You would be right to assume they haven't been indexed yet.

I haven't decided which resolution I am going to edit at yet. Not sure If I should 848x480 or 1,280x720. Seeing as how the latter would be more optimal I will probably be going with that. I have a particular idea in mind for this source as it will be the only source I will be using for the video. My first single source AMV in frikkin forever. So I really want to make sure it is going to look the best it can be.

It also seems all my encoding and scripting stuff is gone. Hmm. Can I get a link to where I can redownload all the tools I'll need. I've been on hiatus only putting out 1 or 2 vids a year for the past couple years so I haven't been keeping good track of my software.

If I could get a link to the filters and programs I'll need I'll get to reinstalling them ASAP.

Before I click submit, Just realized I still have DGIndex in my computer so I'm good on that. So I think just a list of filters and additional programs I need would suffice. And I have the newest Zarx.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:57 am

Most things are linked in the avtech page, just don't install the amvapp itself (outdated software), but download the latest things from the links in the page.

As for the resolution, I highly discourage you do upscale. Go with 480p, but as for horizontal res, that depends on the amount you crop. I honestly think it's time we drop the 848 standard, which was born from mod16 needs back in the day which need not exist anymore and gives us a res taller than 16:9, which means that a normal widescreen dvd (which is, in fact, actually wider than 16:9) will end up looking squished without proper overcropping (and that's a shame itself, if there's detail). Use the calculator I linked above to do the math for the res you should go with, and as long as it's mod2 it's going to be honestly fine nowadays (though at least mod4 horizontally wouldn't be bad...).

TwilightChrono
Org Profile

Post by TwilightChrono » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:25 pm

Thanks again Mirk. Appreciate the help.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”