What is a good DSLR to buy?

Topics not related to Anime Music Videos
Nunusaur
Org Profile

What is a good DSLR to buy?

Post by Nunusaur » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:07 pm

I've had a Graphic Tablet and a camera on my "to buy" list for a while now. Since we can't afford to buy both at the same time, I've decided to go for a DSLR first instead.

I'm somewhat into photography, and I also like to cosplay, which is why I'm considering going for a DSLR instead of a Digital camera, as it doesn't give the same "professional'ish" effect as a DSLR... correct me if I'm wrong though! I also like to draw manga and realistic portraits, I'm thinking of starting a channel on youtube and uploading speed drawings. Any specific camera you'd suggest that would suit my needs? Canon cameras seem to be the most popular ones. Also, what kind of tripod should I be getting to place on my table so I could record myself drawing? I'm a little clueless when it comes to cameras/tripods, so any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Re: What is a good DSLR to buy?

Post by Pwolf » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:01 pm

You can get pretty good results from point and shoot cameras now adays... that said, a DLSR is a good choice if you plan on furthering your photography skills and can take some decent video also. I'd look at the Canon Rebel line. I've been using a T1i for several years now. Even though I'd like to upgrade to something a little more professional, it's still a great camera. I think the newest model is the t5i, which is probably about $700 - $1000 for the body kit and a lens or two. You can probably find the older versions for a bit cheaper. I'd also invest in a flash and a full sized tripod, both can be purchased for less then $100 together. As for a small table top tripod, there a bunch of options but the gorillapods are pretty nice.

Nunusaur
Org Profile

Post by Nunusaur » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:21 pm

Pwolf wrote:You can get pretty good results from point and shoot cameras now adays... that said, a DLSR is a good choice if you plan on furthering your photography skills and can take some decent video also. I'd look at the Canon Rebel line. I've been using a T1i for several years now. Even though I'd like to upgrade to something a little more professional, it's still a great camera. I think the newest model is the t5i, which is probably about $700 - $1000 for the body kit and a lens or two. You can probably find the older versions for a bit cheaper. I'd also invest in a flash and a full sized tripod, both can be purchased for less then $100 together. As for a small table top tripod, there a bunch of options but the gorillapods are pretty nice.
I actually don't plan on taking photography as seriously. Any good point and shoot cameras you'd suggest, that is close to the results a DSLR would give? I was thinking of getting a gorillapod as well, but because it was so small, I just wasn't sure if there would be enough gap between the camera and table to be able to record myself drawing. Thanks for the reply!

Pwolf
Friendly Neighborhood Pwaffle
Org Profile

Post by Pwolf » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Canon Powershots and Sony Cyber-shot cameras are pretty decent. They both have higher-end "professional" versions that are around $500. That said, a lot of what makes a "good" picture is the person taking the picture. I'd take some time to learn a little bit about lighting and composition to compliment what ever camera you end up getting.

Dr. Derpface, J.D.
Org Profile

Post by Dr. Derpface, J.D. » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:29 pm

That being said, can't go wrong w/ a Powershot :)
Tinnitus

<Fire_Starter> Stirspeare: college=failsauce?
<Stirspeare> Fire_Starter: Electoral college etc.

"Then you weeaboo faggots need to stop thinking that Japan is ZOMG awsmsauce where all ur waifu dreams come true."
-Kionon / Athena - January 12, 2010

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:44 pm

Fire_Starter wrote:That being said, can't go wrong w/ a Powershot :)
pangYA! :ying:
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

Nunusaur
Org Profile

Post by Nunusaur » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:37 am

Alright, so I still haven't gotten to buy a DSLR yet, and I'm not sure I can afford one at the moment. And I trust you guys with your opinions, so I thought I'd ask: Are there any super good Digital Cameras that are nearly as good as a DSLR, but cheaper? Like a specific model? Thank you!

Nunusaur
Org Profile

Post by Nunusaur » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:52 am

Just to add: My main reason for getting a new camera is so I could record myself while drawing and put it up on youtube, with super good quality (1080p). Not sure if Digital Cameras are good for that kind of thing.

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:39 am

requiett
Org Profile

Post by requiett » Sat Jan 11, 2014 3:48 am

Nunusaur wrote:Just to add: My main reason for getting a new camera is so I could record myself while drawing and put it up on youtube, with super good quality (1080p). Not sure if Digital Cameras are good for that kind of thing.
Most point and shoots aren't good for extended shots. A lot of them will automatically stop or make a new file after a certain size or timestamp. Your best bet would be a dedicated video camera with a tripod so you can aim it at what you're doing and keep it steady.

Return to “General Discussion”