[VEGAS] parent-child compositing issue

slimed
Org Profile

[VEGAS] parent-child compositing issue

Post by slimed » Mon Dec 23, 2013 1:49 pm

I think this is the right forum for this.

anyway, so i was experimenting with parent child layers in vegas. never really touched the feature but I've been wanting to learn it so i gave it a shot. the goal was to do a horizontal roll effect from left to right and this is how i had it set up:
(preview window -- it'd be more organized if i wasn't messing around)

i was going to zoom in on the parent layer, starting with the left-most clip and keyframing to the right.

the problem is that soon as i zoom in the quality is somehow completely lost :shrug: :

so my question is, is there any way to zoom in on parent-child layers without quality loss? i suppose if making a roll was an issue this could be achieved with pans but that'd be a lot more work than it's worth. but the bigger problem is not being able to zoom without quality loss, because i had a project planned revolving around this feature.

any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you!

Mastamind
Org Profile

Re: [VEGAS] parent-child compositing issue

Post by Mastamind » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:56 am

Did you zoom into those videos using Event Pan/Crop?

slimed
Org Profile

Post by slimed » Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:14 am

i zoomed in with parent motion. i'm not sure if that's just the reality of the feature or if missing something

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:30 am

I'm not sure either. I looked around online a bit after I got the same issue, but most people don't zoom in as much as you're trying to and probably don't notice the quality loss. My guess is that Parent Motion interprets the size you assign each layer in Track Motion as the new resolution of your layer; making a bunch of videos smaller in an After Effects comp and zooming into that in another comp would give you the same effect, and it looks like Vegas works that way because if you increase the resolution of your project, the quality of your zoom goes up too. But After Effects makes parenting a lot easier and even has cameras to toy around with.
A workaround would be to work directly with Track Motion for each layer. It's really inefficient, but you could simulate parent motion by creating all the keyframes you want on one layer and then copy-pasting those keyframes to the other layers. Another brute force method would be to just set your project's resolution to 4K before you render out of Vegas, then set your resolution to the original resolution when rendering. I'd still like to know if there's a real solution though.

slimed
Org Profile

Post by slimed » Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:37 pm

somehow missed this. i was mostly curious because i had a project planned around parent motion and wanted to make sure everything i wanted to do was possible in vegas. although so far i haven't had to do any zooming this extreme. i think i'll try switching the project file resolution and see if that works out. i think rendering out groups of parent child layers and putting the renders back on the timeline before applying parent motion could work too and would also leave less layers laying around. thanks for the help!

i was googling around and found a response on a forum that explained the problem:
You need to use Pan/Crop to zoom in. Track Motion will always convert the image to the project resolution BEFORE it does any movement which is why you are seeing pixelation when zooming in. Never zoom in with Track or Parent Motion; only zoom out. Pan/Crop will zoom in and use all of the resolution in the image as it zooms.
although having to use pan/crop would make anything like this very tedious.

Return to “Effects & Techniques”