VirtualDub Saving Takes Ages

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: VirtualDub Saving Takes Ages

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:51 pm

I noticed in another thread you mentioning your DVD was PAL, is that the case for this source as well? If so, it is highly likely that the blending and artifacts are in the source you have because PAL versions are notorious for being messed up like that.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:54 pm

Yup, it is indeed the same source. Does that basically mean I just have to put up with it?
"Never fall for a tennis player. Love means nothing to them"

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:25 pm

If the issues are indeed in the source and you can't get a NTSC copy...then unfortunately yes.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 1:37 pm

That's annoying. I'll guess I'll just put up with it, and make a note to import anything I plan on using in the future from the US. Thanks for all the help.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:31 pm

MouseBollocks wrote:That's annoying. I'll guess I'll just put up with it, and make a note to import anything I plan on using in the future from the US. Thanks for all the help.
On the bright side, it's less of an issue if you're going to use something modern - modern formats are pretty much all progressive now.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:57 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
MouseBollocks wrote:That's annoying. I'll guess I'll just put up with it, and make a note to import anything I plan on using in the future from the US. Thanks for all the help.
On the bright side, it's less of an issue if you're going to use something modern - modern formats are pretty much all progressive now.
That's useful. I'll try and stick to newer DVD releases if I can. Most of the older stuff I'd want to use has been re-released or was only ever released stateside anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of a problem (Unless I ever need to use Violence Jack...)

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Wed Jan 01, 2014 12:26 pm

Really sorry to keep coming back to this again, but what's the best way to convert to mjpeg? I'm aware ffdshow has the option, but I didn't want to get yet more stuff wrong. Plus, i couldn't find a way to change the bitrate in the ffdshow encoder options, so I get the feeling that It might not be the best way.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:36 pm

ffdshow works (the bitrate is controlled by the slider near the top of the encoding window), although it'd probably be easier to use ffmpeg directly (especially since ffdshow's linked against a rather old copy of libavcodec*). The only two options worth worrying about are selecting mjpeg as the video encoder and setting the video bitrate:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg -i "input.avs" -vcodec mjpeg -b:v 1500k "output.avi"
pause
Download a static build of FFmpeg from here, unpack the 7z file, and stick ffmpeg.exe in C:\WINDOWS (for simplicity's sake).

Copy and paste the above command into Notepad, change the input.avs and output.avi filenames to the desired ones, save with a .bat extension, and then double-click on the .bat file. It'll do it's thing - the pause line will make sure that after the conversion process is finished, the Command Prompt won't automatically close, and instead tell you to press any button to close it. That way you'll see whether the conversion process encountered any problems.

*not quite sure how old, but since development on ffdshow has slowed to crawl/virtually stopped, it can't be all that recent.

WinFF is a GUI frontend for ffmpeg, although I'm not sure if it exposes an option for MJPEG. It allows for user customization so you can create your own profile for it, though.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Bollocks
Deranged Baboon
Org Profile

Post by Bollocks » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:10 pm

Thanks very much, that works, but for some reason the video I end up with is 20fps.I checked in VD, and noticed that the scripts (Both LQ and HQ) also had a framerate of 20fps. I'm aware that you can change fps using filters, but again, I'd like to be sure before doing anything stupid.

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Post by Qyot27 » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:15 pm

If you're dealing with PAL like you said earlier, the 20fps is because you're trying to IVTC it - IVTC only applies to NTSC stuff. Remove the TDecimate line (and technically the options should differ for TFM or Decomb because there's a different interlacing cadence for PAL).
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

Return to “Video & Audio Help”