KATSUCON 20 NSFW AMV CONTEST (SUBMISSIONS CLOSED)

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
kitten1987
Org Profile

KATSUCON 20 NSFW AMV CONTEST (SUBMISSIONS CLOSED)

Post by kitten1987 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:47 pm

ONLINE ENTRIES ONLY!

Please read the rules thoroughly!
If you don't, you may be disqualified.
How will we know if you read the rules?
You'll have to read the rules to find out... ^.^

Submission deadline - Friday, January 31st, 2014 11:59 PM PST
There will be NO EXTENSION beyond this date!
All entries MUST be submitted no later then this.
Any entry arriving later will not be considered, so make sure to get them in ASAP!!!
** If you know your entry will be a day or two late, you must contact me BEFORE the deadline passes. **

Contact the NSFW AMV Coordinator: taiga_izumi@hotmail.com for more information.

Yes, you will also send your entries / info here.
Please use a reputable upload site and send the download link to this email.
We will also use DropBox as an option so, if you use that, please use the above email address and add me to it making it a shared folder. When i get videos in the folder i will remove myself from the folder.

The award format will be Grand Prize, 2nd, and 3rd place.
The audience will vote for the top videos.
The Coordinator will be giving out an award as well this year.

Regarding awards. I know those that won last year have not received their awards and i am deeply sorry about that. i had personal medical and financial issues come up but they will be going out later this month. This year it WILL NOT be like that. i have already started setting money aside for shipping costs so that those who win will get their awards in a timely manner.

Once the deadline passes and we have all our entries, the AMV staff will screen them all to determine the field of finalists.

The screening will utilize a fairly strict scoring system.
Your entry must pass a quality check (sound clarity and video quality, mainly) and then it will be judged on several technical factors, although entertainment value is extremely important. No one on the screening panel will be shown or told the name / identity of any of the submissions' editors. Once all the numbers are in, the math will be done and the highest-scoring entries will pass on to the finals (posted a week before the convention).

Submission Form

You must include a separate form for EACH AMV that you submit.
It must accompany the download link in the email you send.
The form should be nothing more then a normal .txt file that contains the following information:

- Full legal name
- Nickname / Studio name (if applicable)
- Mailing address
- Telephone number (including area code)
- Email address
- Title of AMV
- Song title(s) and artist(s)
- Name of source video footage
ALSO please attach the following to the info (for "legal reasons")...
"By submitting a video to the Katsucon 20 AMV Contest [or AMV NSFW Contest], I am representing that this video does not violate anyone's rights and that I own all copyrights in this video or have authorization to upload it."

Email me if there are any questions or concerns about this. I know it's an anomalous thing but I'm being told by those further up the chain this needs to be done.
No one likes having to deal with this stuff but you know...

You must include ALL of that information before your video will be considered for the contest. If you are unsure about any of the information please look it up, as it is all crucial information.
Please name your files in this format:
video: “NSFW - your name – video title.avi”
info: “NSFW - your name – video title.txt”

Submission Format

All submissions must meet the following standards:
- 720 x 480 resolution (up to 1080p is acceptable)
- 29.97 fps -OR- 23.976 fps
- Non-Interlaced video (Progressive scan)
- Stereo Sound

The following formats will be accepted, provided that they meet the above standards:

Video (in order of preference):
- Lagarith avi
- mp4 (must be h264 or x264 compression – no exceptions)
- MPEG 2
- MPEG 1
- HuffYUV avi
- Uncompressed avi
- Divx avi
- Xvid avi
Audio:
- AAC
- Uncompressed wav (PCM)
- MPEG audio (mp3, mp2, etc.)

AMV Rules

0) This should go without saying, but plagiarism will NOT be tolerated! Any attempt to submit the work belonging to anyone other than yourself will result in you being BLACKLISTED from the Katsucon AMV contest now and in the future.

1) All entries *MUST* conform to the formats listed above.

2) NO BUMPERS or CREDITS will be permitted! We will provide title screens to introduce each entry for the finals.

3) A maximum of three submissions per person is allowed.

4) Entries must be at least 1 minute in length and not to exceed 5:30 minutes running time. They must contain at least 75% Japanese animation. Live action is allowed as long as your video remains mostly anime / video game. If you do use video game sources, make sure they are Japanese-produced. also i'd like to note that if any live action sex scene are used that they NOT be personal footage. thanks ^.^)

5) THERE WILL BE NO TIME LIMIT ON SUBMISSIONS THIS YEAR!! (meaning it doesn't matter how old the video is as long as it meets the other requirements than it is more than welcome) .

6a) Dubbed sound from licensed commercial translation is NOT allowed.
6b) Your video will be returned to you for alteration or disqualified if there are any logos, watermarks, or fan-produced or licensed subtitles - CHECK YOUR WORK before submitting! You ARE allowed to produce your own subtitles.

7) All entries must be accompanied by a completely filled-out submission form. (see above) We can't stress this enough! ALL submission forms must be in some form of txt document. I WILL NOT accept Email submission forms this year due to it possibly getting lost in my inbox and trying to figure out what submission form goes to what video. That being said if you still want to include it in an email that's perfectly FINE but i will STILL require an actual txt document to be in the dropbox or as an attachment in the email if you send a download link.

8) All submitted materials become the property of Katsucon, and are non-returnable.

9) Submissions with significant audio or visual degradation will not be accepted.
(PROTIP: do not make AMVs with downloaded video or poor-sounding audio. ^.^)

10) Prizes will be presented during a formal award show yet to be scheduled (although I'm pushing for late Sunday afternoon). If the contestant is not attending the convention or must leave before the award show, their awards will be mailed out after the convention courtesy of Katsucon. Please allow 4-6 weeks maximum for delivery.THIS WILL HAPPEN THIS YEAR I SWEAR! (or if you are at the viewing and want to leave me a way of contacting you, in case your video wins, if you know you wont be at the award show than please feel free to do so. the less i have to mail the better ^.^)

11) DVD copies of the contest will not be available due to legal concerns. BUT if you are there and would like an extra copy of the ballots (if we have leftovers) than please feel free to ask me and my staff will be more than happy to help. But i wll make sure to post the finalists this year. last year something happened and it seems it never got posted so i will be (re)posting them as soon as im done this.

12) Katsucon is not responsible for lost, stolen, misdirected, or damaged entries, prizes, etc.

13) We reserve the right to reject any video for any reason. Rules are subject to change. If any major changes are necessary to make your entry suitable for screening, we will contact you as soon as possible.

14) All members of the Katsucon AMV Staff and judging panel are prohibited from entering this contest. They may still submit their videos to be shown during the non-competitive exhibition.

If you have any questions, email taiga_izumi@hotmail.com(NSFW) for more details.

Bring us your best and tell your friends who edit AMVs that we're up and running.

I can't wait to see what you guys come up with this year ^.^
Last edited by kitten1987 on Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

Scintilla
(for EXTREME)
Org Profile

Re: KATSUCON 20 NSFW AMV CONTEST

Post by Scintilla » Wed Oct 09, 2013 5:27 pm

kitten1987 wrote:ALSO please attach the following to the info (for "legal reasons")...
"By submitting a video to the Katsucon 20 AMV Contest [or AMV NSFW Contest], I am representing that this video does not violate anyone's rights and that I own all copyrights in this video or have authorization to upload it."
In before Bashar. Considering the "75% Japanese animation" rule later on, this is asking your contestants to attest to a lie.
ImageImage
:pizza: :pizza: Image :pizza: :pizza:

kitten1987
Org Profile

Post by kitten1987 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 6:42 pm

to be honest i don't quite understand it myself its just something we have to have you guys put. but i can verify that to get a more clear answer.

BecauseImBored1
Org Profile

Post by BecauseImBored1 » Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:14 am

YAY! I'll have another WTF entry for you @_@

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Oct 10, 2013 9:42 am

kitten1987 wrote:to be honest i don't quite understand it myself its just something we have to have you guys put. but i can verify that to get a more clear answer.
If the higher ups actually think pretending to believe everyone has the rights arranged for the footage would work if they were ever taken to court they are sadly mistaken.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

kitten1987
Org Profile

Post by kitten1987 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:45 pm

hey everyone just wanted to remind people the deadline is just a few months away and im still looking forward to some awesome entries this year.

knage
Org Profile

Post by knage » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:15 pm

In the forum it was stated that the submissions become your property. Does that mean if your video is on YouTube it'd have to be taken down if I sent a copy of the same video to you?
YouTube:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmARoS ... GP_b7rHM7g

I edit with a passion. Remember my name.

Squancho
Org Profile

Post by Squancho » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:47 am

To everyone...

1. Yeah, that legal thing they want everyone to include with their info...I still don't understand it myself. If anything,it only calls more attention to the work using elements not owned by the creator. I don't know why Katsu is so scared of being pinged by whoever. As far as I know, not even Otakon requires such an addition so I dunno.

2. I need to ask the "higher-ups" about that thing stating it becomes "property of Katsu." I think it's just one of those things left over from the days when conventions still accepted solid media (CD, DVD, etc) and, once received, wouldn't be sent back. Since everything is submitted online now, this isn't really a concern.

3. We're certainly not telling anyone to not show their work on other sites like YouTube but we prefer your entries not go public until after the contest is over. We do also publicly display the main AMV Showdown at road shows and conventions where Katsu has a table to promote and sell pre-registrations for next ear so that's one thing Katsu reserves the right to do. But that's more exposure for your work, too. ;)

ANYWAY...let's get moving on those entries!
Zenkaikon
AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2013 - 2019)
Asst AMV Showdown Coordinator
(2020 - 2021)

8bitcritr
Org Profile

Post by 8bitcritr » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:32 pm

This may sound a little anal... but will there be a video of the viewing of the finalist? I will be submitting my entry probably within a week and if I make it to the finals I would love to see how people react to it in person. However theres about a 99% chance I won't be there and I would really love to be there. It's a "film-maker" thing we just love seeing people enjoy our work.(even though technically, I'm not a film-maker just yet, i'm still young)

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 pm

GoodxLucifer wrote:This may sound a little anal...
:aimkissyface:

Return to “AMV Contests”