AMV Viewpoint

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Re: AMV Viewpoint

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:28 pm

I don't think it's a matter of audiences "being ready". When you put it like that it makes it sound like the audience somehow has to "grow up" in order to like those. I think it's more of a matter that people like what they like. There are plenty of people out there who like those videos, but a lot of people also just like seeing videos that have music they like and anime they like.

I also think, as was mentioned before, amvers make what they personally like. From what I know most of us are only out to please ourselves, not some mysterious "target audience".

As for myself: In general I don't really like too many videos where they are just using someone's characters to create some kind of original flick, because I would rather just watch an original animation for that.

If the video has an original story, but remains true to the established cannon of the characters it uses (Narutoball Z, Daydream, Tainted Donuts), then I can end up really enjoying them, but if the video just uses the anime as a backdrop to their "original story" then I can't get into it as much.

But I also tend to use AMVs as a medium of trying to figure out what shows to watch next.

TheAMVShow
Org Profile

Post by TheAMVShow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:48 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:
But I also tend to use AMVs as a medium of trying to figure out what shows to watch next.
Imagine if studios could understand that... we'd all be employed.

Begi
Org Profile

Post by Begi » Fri Nov 22, 2013 7:56 pm

AceD wrote:
Begi wrote:Lol that's all time stats, you can look at the most current stats if you want, it will still reflect what I'm talking about. And no to be honest I really don't. I go around youtube and here. But thats for a reason and I've brought this topic up in numerous posts and conversations, where exactly are these other AMV sites with so many videos that you talk about?
Yes, but no newer videos will it into the top list because the website is dead in comparison to several years ago, so it's redundant. I don't need to look at current stats because since the website has low activity, friends voting for friends is more likely to place videos higher than they really should be.

amvnews...? http://amvnews.ru/index.php?go=Ratings&file=byrating
youtube would also tell you people love such videos. If you think dedicated amv viewers and its editors are on amvnews, youtube has a much larger scale of casual viewers....both audiences appreciate them...so I don't see how you think such videos have no prevalence at all.
there's no evidence to support "friends for friends". that's just an absurd claim. even if that's the case, you're telling me that someone on this site is "friends" with every single person and not one of them would objectively rate their video? cmon, think realistically.

Amvnews??!! lol, how many videos get uploaded there a month? 5? amvnews is a baron wasteland compared to this site. they probably get 1 video uploaded every few weeks. and youtube has many of those videos? hmmm...interesting. last amv i watched on youtube was this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-qCTL8R9Fk
refer here: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 0#p1508201
Taite wrote:
I just think morphing the clips and all that jazz, effects n stuff, isn't really art at all. Art to me is original 100%. All art is of course influenced, nothing never takes inspiration from something, but I don't think art is comprised 100% of sources that you had no creative control over.
I think a counter argument to that would be music and instruments. Music progressed from a single instrumental sound to a mix of many different instruments. Using that exact logic would be like all current forms of music that use a snare drum are not original because someone used a snare drum before and had their own creative reasons for it, everyone else is just using it for the own purpose and had no control over it's creation.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:06 pm

TheAMVShow wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:

I'd still rather do this for free... While I do think that there is a lot of artistic merit to amvs, I still view it as a hobby for me and not a stepping stone to the professional world. Many amvers have tried to make that leap, and succeeded so it's not impossible.

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:14 pm

Begi wrote:Amvnews??!! lol, how many videos get uploaded there a month? 5? amvnews is a baron wasteland compared to this site. they probably get 1 video uploaded every few weeks.
Ummm.....hardly.
http://amvnews.ru/index.php?go=Files&in=newfiles&per=4

The Org has had 254 entries in the last month ( http://www.animemusicvideos.org/search/newvids.php - gotta change the search options yourself :p ), most of which are direct links (aka youtube) or or not even a link at all.
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:17 pm

Not to mention most amvs announced here get what....3 comments? amvnews gets a much better average, especially in contest season.

Nothing compared to youtube but still

Tsu!
Org Profile

Post by Tsu! » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:19 pm

Begi wrote:Is the community not ready for these type of AMVs? Are they too complicated for the general community to understand?
-OR-
Would you rather watch a video with really great editing that shows off complicated visual techniques (such as cut placement or FX work)?
I like 'em both. I've created both kinds of videos, myself, and I enjoy watching both kinds. I think a traditional tribute-style AMV that commemorates the best parts of the show that a fan can really appreciate and someone who's unfamiliar with the show can go "Hm, looks like something I should watch" are great. But an FX video with an original plot that throws unexpected things in your face is exciting! You never know what's coming and it's great to get wrapped up in a story that only existed in the AMV Editor's mind prior to the video existing.

That being said, I've also listened to one of my friends gripe during a contest screening "But that's not how the anime went!" To each their own, I guess.
Fanime 2014-2015, 2018-2019 AMV Contest - Department Head
Fanime 2016-2017 AMV Contest - Lurking Department Second

TheAMVShow
Org Profile

Post by TheAMVShow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:25 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:
TheAMVShow wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:

I'd still rather do this for free... While I do think that there is a lot of artistic merit to amvs, I still view it as a hobby for me and not a stepping stone to the professional world. Many amvers have tried to make that leap, and succeeded so it's not impossible.
I was thinking more that anime studios specifically would see the potential for AMVs to advertise their anime and hire us just how musicians use music videos to advertise their songs.

I wouldn't recommended AMV editing as a stepping stone to professional. That's a whole other beast.

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:28 pm

Some of the boxed sets I got (Animeworks) have "amvs" on them... the videos aren't all that good, but they look like they are trying O:

TheAMVShow
Org Profile

Post by TheAMVShow » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:35 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:Some of the boxed sets I got (Animeworks) have "amvs" on them... the videos aren't all that good, but they look like they are trying O:
Yeah I've seen some of those too and am usually disappoint. Its more just songs put to a scene that kinda syncs up. We'd definitely do a better job.

Return to “General AMV”