Help with AviSynth

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Help with AviSynth

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 4:29 pm

Does it play back in your media player? If so as a last resort you could always use DirectShowSource() (no additional plugins needed). It's not the best method but it will work assuming the file plays at all.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:13 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Does it play back in your media player? If so as a last resort you could always use DirectShowSource() (no additional plugins needed). It's not the best method but it will work assuming the file plays at all.
I haven't been able to use windows media player since I started using windows 8. It says it needs an update and I haven't bothered since I use vlc. Could that be an issue?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:33 pm

pan_dbgt01 wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:Does it play back in your media player? If so as a last resort you could always use DirectShowSource() (no additional plugins needed). It's not the best method but it will work assuming the file plays at all.
I haven't been able to use windows media player since I started using windows 8. It says it needs an update and I haven't bothered since I use vlc. Could that be an issue?
First off, I would recommend dropping VLC in favor of Media Player Classic as it is much better. Secondly, I would install the latest LAV Filters to make sure DirectShowSource has something to decode the file with if MPC happens to play it correctly.

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:52 am

l33tmeatwad wrote:
pan_dbgt01 wrote:
First off, I would recommend dropping VLC in favor of Media Player Classic as it is much better. Secondly, I would install the latest LAV Filters to make sure DirectShowSource has something to decode the file with if MPC happens to play it correctly.
It's still not working. I have no idea why. I installed Avisynth and all the dlls are in place.

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:41 am

I used a video converter to make the mp4 and now it's working. MKVtoMp4 is what I originally used, so I have no idea why the h264 video isn't working properly.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:20 pm

pan_dbgt01 wrote:I used a video converter to make the mp4 and now it's working. MKVtoMp4 is what I originally used, so I have no idea why the h264 video isn't working properly.
My first question is, why recontainer just to use AviSynth? Did you try using the original MKV with AviSynth? Secondly, DO NOT REENCODE TO A LOSSY FORMAT! By doing that you are degrading the footage, you are best off figuring out why the footage is not importing properly.

I will say this, while MKVtoMP4 is probably the most convenient and easy way to recontainer videos, it has been known to create unusable files when using the 32bit version on a 64bit OS. The only reason you should need to use MKVtoMP4 is if you are trying to open the MP4 in your editing software, you should avoid using it if you plan to convert with AviSynth as it just adds another layer of possible problems.

pan_dbgt01
Org Profile

Post by pan_dbgt01 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:58 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
pan_dbgt01 wrote:I used a video converter to make the mp4 and now it's working. MKVtoMp4 is what I originally used, so I have no idea why the h264 video isn't working properly.
My first question is, why recontainer just to use AviSynth? Did you try using the original MKV with AviSynth? Secondly, DO NOT REENCODE TO A LOSSY FORMAT! By doing that you are degrading the footage, you are best off figuring out why the footage is not importing properly.

I will say this, while MKVtoMP4 is probably the most convenient and easy way to recontainer videos, it has been known to create unusable files when using the 32bit version on a 64bit OS. The only reason you should need to use MKVtoMP4 is if you are trying to open the MP4 in your editing software, you should avoid using it if you plan to convert with AviSynth as it just adds another layer of possible problems.
Oh okay. Thank you for all of your help :)

When I opened the mp4s in my Vegas I was getting blank video and that's why I am going lossless. I will try the MKVs.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:05 pm

Sounds like the originals are 10bit so lossless it's the right choice, I would just try converting from the original MKVs instead of the recontainered MP4s. There are some rare instances where Vegas (tho not Premiere) will not decode a recontainered video even if it is 8 bit, but I have only heard about this for a few sources.

RTW47
Org Profile

Post by RTW47 » Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:28 am

I believe some problems happened because of accidently trying to open something that does not exist. eg:. avformat_open_input() function error actually could also mean that LSMASHsource can't locate video file! (one possible case: perhaps because video extension did not matched to that in .avs script?) later I got totaly lost was it mp4, mkv or something else...in any way FFMPEGSource failue is also expected. Then remuxing suddenly fixes the problem?
(instead of just changing extension in the script? and using original video in avisynth right away)

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:41 pm

RTW47 wrote:Then remuxing suddenly fixes the problem?
(instead of just changing extension in the script? and using original video in avisynth right away)
No, from the sound of it they recontainered to use in Vegas, it didn't work, so they used the new recontainered file with AviSynth.

Return to “Video Editing Software”