Honest Opinion, Or Bashing

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
[madaraxD]
L1king Lolis
Org Profile

Re: Honest Opinion, Or Bashing

Post by [madaraxD] » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:22 am

When a critique is constructive you should be grateful, otherwise just ignore it, some ppl are just meh. And well, i got some comments like that after comment some vids in youtube, isnt a big deal anyway, i read them, i see if they are right and nothing more :3 dont worry too much about it ;-;

FadingSundown
Org Profile

Post by FadingSundown » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:03 am

The only thing that I would try to avoid in the future is attacking their taste. By mentioning the music was monotonous outright, that comes off as a slight against the editor themselves, like they have bad taste. I would recommend hiding in plain sight and just sticking with what you said in the second half of your critique where you mentioned that since there is no breakout point in the song itself, the video is lacking this element. That conveys the problem with the music without directly saying that it doesn't work. And if you feel it is a combo that just doesn't work AT ALL then the best way to critique it is either by going 100% technical and not mentioning sources or just by saying "Sorry, I'm not feeling it. I don't think I'm the right person to beta test for you."
Thank you Yue, you're absolutely right about the taste part. It wouldve been better to only say the music lacks a breakout point, instead of also saying it is monotone. From NotReallyHere I got an PM, which also mentioned that Timmie feels like I have something against his AMVs. This is not the case, but I think he thinks that because I give milder feedback on other dutch amvs that entered in a contest. Most of those editors are quite new to the editing scene, so I tend to explicitly focus on the things I liked from their videos while giving a few things they could slowly improve on.
The only way to fix bias in a convention/contest setting is to either jump in and try to fix it yourself by becoming part of the process or seek out a place that DOES appreciate hard work as opposed to looking at the entry form and writing it off before giving it a decent chance. It sucks when it's your local convention that is doing this but if you're that passionate about seeing a contest done right then get in there and make it awesome.
That is actually not a bad idea xD. For the next year I think im going to stick to entering contests, but after that I could definitly join the judges and do my best to make it better.

@ madaraXD
Thanks Mike. Because of all the replies here I now know that going into discussion won't fix it. So I will start ignoring it, and if it happens again in the future I know what to do, because not replying is the best solution. It kind of got to me because I know both of them, I see them every con I go to ><. I should go to foreign cons...

Cecco
Biscotto
Org Profile

Post by Cecco » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Don't worry and go ahead. =)

-Nfp
Org Profile

Post by -Nfp » Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:14 pm

yolo it was an honest opinion, in my opinion

Return to “General AMV”