Editor's Block problem (I guess)

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
MrTheAnimatist
Org Profile

Editor's Block problem (I guess)

Post by MrTheAnimatist » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:53 pm

OK, first of, sorry if this sounds like me wallowing in my angst or some shit like that. I tried not to make it sound like that, but it may still come as being that way. Sorry if it does. Also, I'm not trying to make out that I'm special or anything because I'm having this problem. Just though I should clear that up as well.

I've been making AMVs for about 2 years now, and have reached a stage where I'm having major issues with what I guess could be called Editor's Block. I regularly get new ideas for AMVs that I think are pretty cool. However, without fail, every time I try to make something, it falls flat on it's face. Everything I have tried to make in the last year and a half has just felt wrong to me. Now, I would not be thinking about this so much if this had been happening for only some ideas over a short period of time, but as I said, it's happened for every single idea for the last year and a half. So, I'm saying this here because I want to know if this is a common thing (I'm aware editor's block is pretty common, I mean for this length of time and for every idea you have), or if it basically just means I should quit at making AMVs. If you think it means I should quit, please don't hesitate to say it.

Sorry once again for this.
Make a Contract, and join the Studio /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmEwZbh7wHI

GloryQuestor
Moderation Hero
Org Profile

Re: Editor's Block problem (I guess)

Post by GloryQuestor » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:43 pm

One thing about AMV creators, we never really "quit" or "retire". There are so many that walked away years ago that still continually resurface to do something AMV-related. So, don't feel bad about taking a sabbatical--just take a month or two to kick back, relax, and do some other activities in the meantime. You'll find that it'll all work itself out soon enough. ;)
Website Administrator, AnimeMusicVideos.Org
Samurai Warriors Productions
Pittsburgh Japanese Culture Society Events - AMV Department Head
Middle Tennessee Anime Convention - Main Events Operations Manager
Anime Weekend Atlanta - Senior Manager of Programming - Video Art Track

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:46 pm

GloryQuestor wrote:One thing about AMV creators, we never really "quit" or "retire".
Tell that to Castor Troy :awesome:
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

MrTheAnimatist
Org Profile

Post by MrTheAnimatist » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:41 pm

Thanks for the advice. I was considering taking a break anyway, but I wanted to know about whether to just quit or not. Thanks very much!

Shinzui IT
The sexy Artist
Org Profile

Post by Shinzui IT » Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:55 pm

Yeah taking breaks would surely help especially if you are doing several things at once and you just decide to make an amv with a little of boredom that your ideas start to be odd.
Otohiko wrote:
GloryQuestor wrote:One thing about AMV creators, we never really "quit" or "retire".
Oh? and I thought he came back unless it was just that one time only...

MrTheAnimatist
Org Profile

Post by MrTheAnimatist » Fri Nov 01, 2013 12:53 pm

Sorry to keep this thread going, but there's another thing that's been annoying me that I'd like to know about. I tried to work on a vent video today. It was meant to be something enjoyable to work on to keep me into editing without any frustrating. however, I ended up having no idea what to do with it, and get really damn frustrated about it. This has happened with every project I've tried to make in the last few months, but I don't really understand why it happens. My theory is that I thought the idea behind the video was better than it actually was, and he frustration comes from realising that the idea wasn't really that solid or great in the first place. I'm definitely going to take a long break from AMVs, but I'm interested to know if other people get this feeling as well, and if my theory as to why it happens is correct. If I can understand it, it might help me avoid me getting super frustrated due to AMVs in the future.

Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E
Org Profile

Post by Castor Troy » Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Kisagi wrote:Yeah taking breaks would surely help especially if you are doing several things at once and you just decide to make an amv with a little of boredom that your ideas start to be odd.
Otohiko wrote:
Oh? and I thought he came back unless it was just that one time only...
Anyone who dresses up as a bat clearly has issues. :roll:
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Return to “General AMV”