[AWA Pro 2013] Boxxed

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
Chiiisus
Org Profile

Re: [AWA Pro 2013] Boxxed

Post by Chiiisus » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:52 pm

I'm glad you finished this Pancake! Like I've said before this kind of video usually bugs me but this one was colourful in a good way. Also, that song will be forever stuck in my head. EDIT ONWARDS PANCAKE. MORE PLEASE. :ying:
Rawr desu <3

SeNniN
Org Profile

Post by SeNniN » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:11 pm

I really like this! It's really colourful, and the song goes really well with the source, and of course, your editing helped with that, too.
Creative use of typography here. I can see you've worked really hard on this with all that masking. o_o
Probably my favorite from you. keep it up, AimoAio! :up:

CrackTheSky
has trust issues
Org Profile

Post by CrackTheSky » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:52 pm

Glad you uploaded this! It's a great video - definitely one of my favorites from Pro. Few things that irked me - the lip sync was not good. It wasn't even really necessary, although if it had been done better it would have fit in really well. Also, at the end of the day the anime is pretty much secondary to the effects. You could have used almost any anime and made more or less the exact same video. This isn't an objectively bad thing, just a personal preference - I like for there to be a reason for the anime choice, and I didn't see it here.

That said, the editing is solid, the quality is great, love the song choice, and of course the effects work is superb. Well done :up:

4/5

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:02 am

Super mega awesome.

It feels like just a few months since I first saw a video in this style from you, I think it was the Hiyokoi MMV. You've gone leaps and bounds from that video to this, it's really inspiring. But even though this video was great, I feel if you refine this style even more, you could be one of the best typography editors ever (that I've watched at least xD). You have a really good eye for colors, and while some of the effects you used were ridiculously cool (like the hopscotch tiles she was walking on, or the self-fulfilled clip 2:35), others like the standard wipe thing at 1:09 weren't as innovative as the rest. I might just be nitpicky but I honestly feel that one of your next three videos in this style will make me poop my pants, and that's a good thing. xD Still a crazy good video though. Can't wait to see your next vid! :up:

irriadin
BUBBLES!
Org Profile

Post by irriadin » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:01 am

Finally uploaded! So, what to say about it...

The light pastel colors and typography are really well done. I love it when an AMV's composition is strong enough that you can take a screen-cap at nearly any point, and have it be wallpaper-worthy. Boxxed is definitely one of those videos. The silhouette style blends very well with the the typography, also love the constant scanline transitions. 00:50-00:57 is just brilliant. I particularly enjoy how the frame was frozen at 00:57 to draw attention to the work you'd done. So stylish!

You took a lot of risks and were ambitious in your choice of effects. I think they nearly all came out very well! Even the parts where I'm fairly certain you just used the stock anime source (1:55) fit well and were quite well chosen. I find that one good thing of having a limited selection of clips to work with is that it forces you to be quite creative.

Great job Aimo! The final product is impressive and one of my favorites from you! I'd definitely want to see another video in this style from you!

(Also, thanks for getting that song stuck in my head for AGES!!!)

EllipseIris
Org Profile

Post by EllipseIris » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:11 am

Cute, left an op.

FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:53 am

Right, just reminded me this is in my pending opinion list

-Kyros-
Org Profile

Post by -Kyros- » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:06 pm

In general is one of the few videos with texts inside that I really liked :) , maybe some lip syncs were't that good, but in general it was well edited :up:

Aerialesque
is actually a penguin in boots
Org Profile

Post by Aerialesque » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:42 pm

I'm usually not a big fan of videos that focus so much on text, but for some reason, I really like this one. The masking/rotoscoping is very clean, and I love the coloring of the typography. I do agree that the lip sync sticks out once in awhile as a little messy, but not so much as to ruin the video for me. Also, I REALLY didn't like the song when I first watched this for Pro...but it's so catchy that it kinda grew on me. >> Anyway, nice work! :)

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:00 pm

lloyd9988 wrote:._. I like this... like... a lot...

Maria Holic with Marina and the Diamonds mixed with great editing... yeah... this is probably going to be a favorite of mine for awhile.

As far as concept goes... well... I feel like you were going to focus the concept on Mariya and Kanako and how abusive Mariya is too Kanako... But you realized how bad of a source Maria Holic is to edit with your concept so you stuck with the intros plus lots of masking along with a major focus on Mariya instead... Just a guess though.

Nevertheless... I will love this amv for a looooooooooooooooooong time...
Ohohoho, I thought you'd like this AMV and I'm happy to see I was right! As for the concept...hmm...not quite. The OP was a calculated part of the AMV, I've been meaning to use it all along. And the AMV is meant to be Mariya-centric too. XD My biggest issue was when I reached the 2nd verse and had no idea how to edit 80% of it because the only part I planned was the TV section. So after about a month of being stalled near the start of the second verse I was just like "screw it, random stuff time" and then the rest of the AMV was done pretty quickly. XD
Kisagi wrote:Nice job! :up: :up:
xZAKUROx wrote:I love it! :D
Thanks! Glad you two enjoyed it. ^^
lolligerjoj wrote:It's really good and hella fun. Great colorful visuals, typography and synchronization. I was going to criticize the lack of content...but I realized that this doesn't hurt the video's personality in any way, so I thought better of it.
It's one of those videos (like Orion, Caffeine Encomium and Do It Right) that are emotionally neutral (and so easily accessible), but still really enjoyable and clever. Great job.
Haha yeah, I ditched the whole concept/idea thing after the first chorus and just turned it into an effect mashup so even if it didn't make sense, it'd still look good. Glad you liked it though! :)
Cecco wrote:Good job Aimo! :P
ViKAMV wrote:It was awesome, very enjoyable (:
Thank you! ^^
Centurione wrote:I loved the style in this <3 Great job, must have required a lot of work. I only wish some of the typos had more dynamic movement and were a little bit more varied but well yea, that's a tiny little thing.
Loved it <3

And actually, I hate this song but after watching the video once in the morning it got stuck in my head and I couldn't get rid of it later at all lol xD
Ah, that was one of the issues I'd been pondering when making this video. It has a lot of text effects but I wasn't sure if I should make it full kinetic typography style (with proper motion and that) or have it as a subsidiary to the anime. In the end I went for the latter so most of the text is incorporated to fit into the scene rather than the other way around.
FarmXD wrote:This is a really good job. It gave me the feeling of been watching
one of those MTV music videos, but the level of this work
surpasses that crap a lot, because it's awsm! Nice one! I really liked it!
(Even if I hated the song so much xD, but graphically, the video
it's a nice view)
HAHA xD well I don't like many MTV music videos either but my issue with them is the pacing is usually just horribly slow and doesn't fit with the song. Thanks for enjoying the AMV though. :)
l33tmeatwad wrote:Not a fan candy styled videos, but this was very well done. It seems a lot of the timing was cleaned up compared to the AWA Pro version, but I do have to mention how bad the lipsync is...for something that was a secondary focus in the video it really should have been better. I'd love to give this video a 4 or 5, but the lipsync irked me so much it really prevented me from giving it more than a 3. All that said, I can tell a lot of hard work was put into this video and it really shows with all the difficult transitions, masking, and other various effects looking very natural. Keep up the good work and I look forward to your next video :)!
Yeah I'm awful with lipsync, it's like my achilles heel. :| I actually went back and redid a lot of the lipsync, every time I would replay the few seconds it covers and think it looks good but when I render to watch the full thing, it just looks freaking bad and I have no idea why. Which is why it really puzzles me every time I watch the perfect lip sync in your videos because I honestly have no idea how you do it. I should ask you for help next time I try lipsync. XD Anyway I'm really happy to see you enjoy it especially because I know you're really not a fan of candy videos. XD
Chiiisus wrote:I'm glad you finished this Pancake! Like I've said before this kind of video usually bugs me but this one was colourful in a good way. Also, that song will be forever stuck in my head. EDIT ONWARDS PANCAKE. MORE PLEASE. :ying:
You have no idea how happy I was when you said the text felt meaningful in this. ;__; It made me feel so much less guilty when spamming more text effects later on so thank you for all the support Cheesy! And goddammnit, I'm still waiting on a new beta of that CCS video from you! D< GET TO WORK!
SeNniN wrote:I really like this! It's really colourful, and the song goes really well with the source, and of course, your editing helped with that, too.
Creative use of typography here. I can see you've worked really hard on this with all that masking. o_o
Probably my favorite from you. keep it up, AimoAio! :up:
Thank you! There were days when I did nothing but mask.....yeah. Let's not go there. XD
CrackTheSky wrote:Glad you uploaded this! It's a great video - definitely one of my favorites from Pro. Few things that irked me - the lip sync was not good. It wasn't even really necessary, although if it had been done better it would have fit in really well. Also, at the end of the day the anime is pretty much secondary to the effects. You could have used almost any anime and made more or less the exact same video. This isn't an objectively bad thing, just a personal preference - I like for there to be a reason for the anime choice, and I didn't see it here.

That said, the editing is solid, the quality is great, love the song choice, and of course the effects work is superb. Well done :up:

4/5
I agree with you about the lip sync, it wasn't necessary and I only included them because I had no idea what else to put there and since the anime itself was littered with talking scenes...well you know what happened. XD As for the choice of anime, well I half agree with this point too. When I first heard the song I only really pictured a strong, confident female character and the first one that came to mind was Mariya. I haven't seen the anime then so I started planning the AMV without having knowledge of what the anime content contained so when I DID watch the series I realized my idea may not work out as well as I thought but I didn't want to abandon all the effort I'd put in already so I just stuck with it. Lame reasoning but this is how most my ideas actually come about. Thank you for enjoying it though! It was pretty experimental so I'm happy to see it's being received quite well.
pacotacoshell wrote:Super mega awesome.

It feels like just a few months since I first saw a video in this style from you, I think it was the Hiyokoi MMV. You've gone leaps and bounds from that video to this, it's really inspiring. But even though this video was great, I feel if you refine this style even more, you could be one of the best typography editors ever (that I've watched at least xD). You have a really good eye for colors, and while some of the effects you used were ridiculously cool (like the hopscotch tiles she was walking on, or the self-fulfilled clip 2:35), others like the standard wipe thing at 1:09 weren't as innovative as the rest. I might just be nitpicky but I honestly feel that one of your next three videos in this style will make me poop my pants, and that's a good thing. xD Still a crazy good video though. Can't wait to see your next vid! :up:
Aww ;__; thank you for such a huge compliment Paco! It really makes me happy to hear you say that because I've always been paranoid that I'm bad with text effects so I never really tried to make anything too text heavy even though I'm a HUGE fan of typography videos. This AMV being positively received is a huge boost to what little confidence I had in typography, I'll definitely keep working with this style and improve on it so I hope my next text heavy video also impresses you! ^^ And haha, I think I used up a year's supply of candy styled creativity to make this video. I need some time to recuperate. XD
irriadin wrote:Finally uploaded! So, what to say about it...

The light pastel colors and typography are really well done. I love it when an AMV's composition is strong enough that you can take a screen-cap at nearly any point, and have it be wallpaper-worthy. Boxxed is definitely one of those videos. The silhouette style blends very well with the the typography, also love the constant scanline transitions. 00:50-00:57 is just brilliant. I particularly enjoy how the frame was frozen at 00:57 to draw attention to the work you'd done. So stylish!

You took a lot of risks and were ambitious in your choice of effects. I think they nearly all came out very well! Even the parts where I'm fairly certain you just used the stock anime source (1:55) fit well and were quite well chosen. I find that one good thing of having a limited selection of clips to work with is that it forces you to be quite creative.

Great job Aimo! The final product is impressive and one of my favorites from you! I'd definitely want to see another video in this style from you!

(Also, thanks for getting that song stuck in my head for AGES!!!)
Thank you so much for the nice comment! It must be tiring to try and find something to write about especially since I've made you beta this about 23983754 times. xD Unfortunately I can't take full credit for the silhouette idea because it's a style that's quite prominent in the anime and I just sorta adapted the general idea to create the effect. 1:55 is indeed stock anime source but it had such an interesting style, I thought it'd pass nicely as something that may have been effect-ified. :P There's also one other sequence which is also stock anime footage and again, I just took the idea and applied it to surrounding scenes (so it looks like I did a crapton of work but I didn't really). Anyway once again, thank you for all the help during the beta stages and I'm really happy you enjoyed the video.

Muahahaha! Now you all get to suffer through what I did since last year! //noregrets.
EllipseIris wrote:Cute, left an op.
Thank you! And yeah >__> I'm just plain bad at lip sync. At least I know for sure it's one area I have 0 talent in. XD
-Kyros- wrote:In general is one of the few videos with texts inside that I really liked :) , maybe some lip syncs were't that good, but in general it was well edited :up:
Thanks! Haha, I thought as bad as the lipsync is, it'd be at least good enough to pass through most editors without looking too bad but it seems I was wrong. :(
Aerialesque wrote:I'm usually not a big fan of videos that focus so much on text, but for some reason, I really like this one. The masking/rotoscoping is very clean, and I love the coloring of the typography. I do agree that the lip sync sticks out once in awhile as a little messy, but not so much as to ruin the video for me. Also, I REALLY didn't like the song when I first watched this for Pro...but it's so catchy that it kinda grew on me. >> Anyway, nice work! :)
I'm starting to think I may be an oddball since I love text in videos (nicely done ones I mean xD). I'm glad the bad lip sync didn't detract too much from the video for you. :) And haha! This song has been stuck to me since last year and despite making this AMV, it still hasn't gone away. Happy to spread this around to everyone hehe. :lol:

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”