What software to use?

un_kn_ow_n1
Org Profile

What software to use?

Post by un_kn_ow_n1 » Wed Oct 23, 2013 10:07 pm

I am kind of a noob to the music video scene although I have made a few with a program called power director 10. I am looking to get a little deeper into the effects aspect of the videos. It is hard for me to describe the style that I wish to achieve but I finally have the finances to aquire some software for the higher end production and was wondering what are some of the higher end programs. I was poking around on the avid site and saw a lot of people talking about After Effect and Premeir. Utilizing photoshop for effects. Vegas Pro. Should my choice be dependant on style? I am at a loss here, give me some tips. Will check again after work and class tomorrow.

Mastamind
Org Profile

Re: What software to use?

Post by Mastamind » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:42 pm

That Cyberlink software? I remember using that when I was starting, too.
If you look around this section of the forums you'll find tons of threads about the pros and cons of different software. Most people recommend the ones you mentioned as well as Magix Movie Edit and Final Cut. It all depends on preference and budget, really. I chose Sony Vegas Pro 8 because I downloaded the trial and was very comfortable with its workflow. Vegas isn't necessarily as powerful as some of the more expensive software out there when it comes to special effects, but it is very user-friendly and makes it easy to edit as quickly as you make decisions. After using the software for some five years, I still don't have any complaints about it aside from minor preferences, so in my opinion that's the biggest bang for your buck.
It may be a different story if in the future you want to work with some more complex special effects. There's no substitute for a program dedicated to compositing like Adobe After Effects when it comes to that, but keep in mind that AE is inefficient as an NLE and is usually used along with something like Vegas or Premiere. Premiere may be your best choice if you go that route because Adobe's products are all integrated and stuff, but I've had a good enough experience exporting edited video from Vegas to work on in AE.

There'll always be debate about which software is the best, so it'd be a good idea to download trials for the software you're considering and see which one suits your preferences. Any one of the ones you mentioned will do the job, it's just a matter of what you're looking to do and which one feels more like home.

Good luck :up:

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: What software to use?

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:30 pm

In terms of pulling off effects, Adobe After Effects is the best at that (which I recommend using with Premiere and dynamically linking), however Vegas is a more adorable solution that many users here on the forum prefer since it's a jack of all trades type of software. If you have the budget and have time to study and learn I recommend going with Adobe software, otherwise just go with Vegas.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “Video Editing Software”