I hoped that yesterday I could relax a bit by leisurely upgrading to Ubuntu 13.10. But no, it was a balled-up mess of frustration. Not because there were problems with the installation itself, but because everything else went to shit.
I first had to get a DVD burnt and some videos converted so that I'd have room to download the ISOs (which I did before taking my shower yesterday morning). Then, I could fuse the 32-bit and 64-bit ISOs together so I'd only have to use one disc for the installation media instead of two. I do this, and by the time it was finished generating the new single image, I didn't have access to the only working DVD burner in the house. So I had to physically go someplace else to get the disc burned. While I was there, I decided, 'what the hell, I'll upgrade this installation of Ubuntu too, since I have the disc'. This is where the only installation issue I've had comes in, because the VIA chipset in said computer decided it doesn't like whatever happened with 13.10 (at first I thought it could be because of XMir, but it turns out that got postponed). The issue was probably that I'd previously given up in regard to this computer and used Lubuntu for 13.04, which means I basically shot myself in the foot by trying the main version again. I did have a 9.10 disc lying around so I installed that over it just so that the computer could actually boot and I could fix GRUB.
Once I got home, I did have access to the Mac again, so I could update the VM that I use to build my GCC cross toolchain and get a brand-new one for 13.10. So I run the script...and the headers/libs are in the wrong place. I have to start over with a fixed script, and transfer that into the VM since I fixed it on a different computer. But to do that, I need shared folders to work again, since this part always breaks whenever I upgrade. Nothing I did seemed to fix it, and I just gave up in frustration. I eventually had to upgrade the slower laptop we have, use the fixed script on there (turned out that it still put the libs in the wrong place, but I fixed that easily after-the-fact), and finally got the toolchain package I wanted from the start. Not to mention that I then also have to deal with more disc burning because the storage thresholds just happened to align yesterday, too.
The end result: I've not done the upgrade on my main computer yet (although I do have the toolchain to install on it after I do upgrade it). I'm sure it'll be fine and I won't have trouble, but ideally I should have been able to start on this yesterday afternoon.
Plus, I woke up with a tension headache the morning, centered behind my left eye (although that's gone away since I took Advil, put some Biofreeze on my neck, took a shower, and had my coffee - yes, in that order).