Young and Beautiful / 1st Place Mondocon Hungary

Feedback on cataloged Anime Music Videos

Moderators: Mol, seasons

Forum rules
Please observe the following unique rules for this forum:
  • Please limit your new threads (not replies) to one per week. If you have several new videos to announce, create one thread for all the videos. (Note: if you forget one you can edit your post!)
  • Offsite links are allowed, but you are required to have a catalog entry for that video as well. Threads announcing videos that do not contain a catalog entry will be moved to the Awaiting Catalog Entry sub-forum and will be deleted in 2 weeks if an entry is not created.
  • When posting announcements, it is recommended that you include links to the catalog entries (using the video ID) in your post.
  • Videos that do not contain anime are allowed to be announced in the Other Videos section and are not required to have catalog entries.
EllipseIris
Org Profile

Young and Beautiful / 1st Place Mondocon Hungary

Post by EllipseIris » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:25 pm

1st place 2013 MondoCon Autumn, Hungary

This amv is a milestone in my amv editing career. I feel that for the last years, since I made my Eat me alive amv, this is the first moment when I can say: this is what I wanted to show you. I did it, this is how I imagined this video. I am happyyy <3

The video is based on the song. I adore Lana del Rey, her songs are really inspiring! When I heard this one, I knew I have to create something with it, it was so perfect! I tried to express the song through the anime (this is 80% what I do while editing).
I used some digital effects, they are rather visible, you will recognize them. Maybe 0:29, where you see the city is less recognizable: it was a simple image of the city that i tried to revive. Also 0:20 with the cake and candles: the anime did not include any scenes that would have fit, so I created my own version getting a bday cake from another anime.

One more thing, the video was done under Asylum studios name. I am not 100% sure now about our studio's status, but I think we are dying out. Many of our members are gone/inactive. Some say the studio is over. If it is true, this is my last video being a member, but I still hope we can revivify it, I have too many great memories with it to let it go. :)

This is it, enjoy watching, I hope you will like it!

Cecco
Biscotto
Org Profile

Re: Young and Beautiful / 1st Place Mondocon Hungary

Post by Cecco » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:34 pm

Great work! :)

FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:19 pm

Delicated and beautiful. well the title says it.
Well done and congratulations! :)

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:27 pm

The art's so beautiful to watch, lawd, I need to edit with this source.
Happy to hear you're happy with your video, I'm very happy to see what you wanted to show. All those flares reminded me of Lana's "Summertime Sadness" music video. The flares and blurs gave your video a kind of disconnected, fuzzy atmosphere that, with your focus on mood and lyric sync (beat sync was cool at moments like 0:59 as well), fit the music as nicely as I think any editing style could have. The panning with the masks was also gave the video a smooth touch, although the masks themselves often seemed a little jagged at times because the white outline thingy wasn't totally uniform. The few things I didn't like were the scenes like the pencil one at 1:07 and the segment from 1:24-1:30, which I felt didn't add to the story or personify the music like you tried to do. But you succeeded doing that for the most part. 0:40-0:48 and 1:47-1:54 were my favorite parts because of that, you really did a great job of expressing the song's emotion through special moments like those.
I'll mention how the bloom strength and saturation at 0:56 could have been toned down and how I'd have liked to see you warm up the colors for "hot summer nights," but that's just opinionated nitpicking. I really liked this video :up:
(By the way, what does the text say at 2:02 and 2:08?)

EllipseIris
Org Profile

Post by EllipseIris » Wed Oct 16, 2013 6:51 am

Thank you very much Cecco and FarmXD :)
Mastamind, what an op I just got here :D

Thank you for writing me:) To react something:
You noted that the flares remind you of Summertime Sdness's video clip, it just brightened my day :D You know I started editing a while ago back in 2007, but I edited only live-action movies, TV series (lot of Harry Potter eg.) I was part of the only fan video MV community growing old and wise. Bye the time, months and year passing, all of us got used to using these ovelays, flares and lights, and it was just incredible to see, that in real, official music video clips, the editors also started to use these things, and when I saw Lana's Summertime Sadness video I was just laughing and saying: it looks like an usual MV on YouTube :)) So this is my story of using overlays, they are from my MV vidding times..:) btw here is my MV editing channel, check out if you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/user/LeighHeni/v ... &flow=grid

I agree about the masks, though I had not realized about the white lining, this is why it is an advantage to have a good beta tester... It's also nice to see that you liked 1:47 - 1:54, I think that was the part that gave back the anime the most, one of my faves, too, I even rendered it out to show my boyfriend that this is my fave part (before the vid was done).
And the japanese typo says "young and beautiful" and "aching soul".

Than you again for your opinion and your time, it is really an honour to get feedback from my fave from 2012's Akross :)
Last edited by EllipseIris on Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

FarmXD
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:13 am

EllipseIris wrote:Thank you very much Cecco and FarmXD :)
Mastamind, what an op I just got here :D

Thank you for writing me:) To react something:
You noted that the flares remind you of Summertime Sdness's video clip, it just brightened my day :D You know I started editing a while ago back in 2007, but I edited only live-action movies, TV series (lot of Harry Potter eg.) I was part of the only fan video MV community growing old and wise. Bye the time, months and year passing, all of us got used to using these ovelays, flares and lights, and it was just incredible to see, that in real, official music video clips, the editors also started to use these things, and when I saw Lana's Summertime Sadness video I was just laughing and saying: it looks like an usual MV on YouTube :)) So this is my story of using overlays, they are from my MV vidding times..:) btw here is my MV editing channel, check out if you are interested: http://www.youtube.com/user/LeighHeni/v ... &flow=grid

I agree about the masks, though I had not realized about the white lining, this is why it is an advantage to have a good beta tester... It's also nice to see that you liked 1:47 - 1:54, I think that was the part that gave back the anime the most, one of my faves, too, I even rendered it out to show my boyfriend that this is my fave part (before the vid was done).

Than you again for your opinion and your time, it is really an honour to get feedback from my fave from 2012's Akross :)
Well it's a matter of time, if you like it you should improve
more. It's fun editing with anime and the source you chose
fits to your live-action style because is realisitic. Keep it up!!
I want to do something with a movie so I'm looking forward
for your appreciation when I do that (Waiting for movie release
in dvd, so I can't edit right now xD)

EllipseIris
Org Profile

Post by EllipseIris » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:37 am

FarmXD wrote:
Well it's a matter of time, if you like it you should improve
more. It's fun editing with anime and the source you chose
fits to your live-action style because is realisitic. Keep it up!!
I want to do something with a movie so I'm looking forward
for your appreciation when I do that (Waiting for movie release
in dvd, so I can't edit right now xD)
Honestly I am editing amvs too, since 2010 :D btw this video is something new for me, since after starting amv editing my old MV style totally disappeared and everything changed, and for the last few years this is my first amv where I could apply my old style again, so this is special for for me from this point of view, and I hope that I can improve this editing style to fit most of the anime sources and most of my amvs. :)
And for your upcoming MV, you can already see my appreciation, I LOVE to see MVs from amv editors, they are so different from what I got used to and they are quite interesting most of the time :wink:

FarmXD
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:50 am

Well I'll check your channel when I get home at night, because
youtube is blocked in my work xd

bombush
Org Profile

Post by bombush » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:28 pm

Superb atmosphere and mostly great sync (I really loved the virthday cake scene and all those slow-down-speed-up parts). Great illustration to the song but I think I would enjoy the video much better if there was more story. The conflict near the end felt a bit forced and unexplained to me.

Mastamind
Org Profile

Post by Mastamind » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:57 pm

You're very welcome, I took a look through your channel and sure enough there were those flares back in your earlier videos. Perhaps whoever edited Summertime Sadness took a look at your stuff and was inspired.
It's really cool to see how your editing has matured, by the way. Your timing is more precise and it flows much better - maybe that's the influence of AMVs on your work, maybe not, but it's easy to see that you enjoy editing videos like this one. Keep it up, melikes your style! I just subscribed to you on Youtube for more of it.
Haha, I like your taste. Thank you very much and good luck (on your future work, and on getting a beta tester to point out other minor things like the black outline on the shoes at about 0:25) :P

Return to “AMV Announcements & Feedback”