Avisynth does nothing.

Tetris
Org Profile

Avisynth does nothing.

Post by Tetris » Sun Oct 13, 2013 4:27 am

Been away from the AMV scene for years now.
Did a major upgrade to my PC, so thought I would try again.

But I cannot get AVIsynth to do anything.

When I open a DirectShowSource in virtual dub I get. "Avisynth open failure: Avisynth open failure:DirectShowSourceL couldn't open file. (File path): Cannot play back the file. The format is not supported.

When I try to open in premiere, the avs file does not even show up. I downloaded and installed the avisynth plugin.

When I try opening the AVS file in VLC player, a blank player opens and does nothing.

Im running windows 7 64 bit, and adobe premiere CS6

Qyot27
Surreptitious fluffy bunny
Org Profile

Re: Avisynth does nothing.

Post by Qyot27 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:12 am

This might explain some of it:
http://www.animemusicvideos.org/forum/v ... 7&t=111484

But other points:
DirectShowSource only works if you've installed the proper DirectShow-based codecs (read: LAV Filters or ffdshow-tryouts) and from what I understand, on Windows 7 you also need to use the PreferredFilterTweaker to make DirectShow filters work at all.

You shouldn't be using DirectShowSource. Use FFMS2 or LSMASHSource instead, or for MPEG-1/2, DGIndex/DGDecode.dll & MPEG2Source.

It would appear that VLC just simply refuses to play AviSynth scripts. It looks like VLC (at least, the official build) provides no access to libavformat, which is the most likely way it would probably include support for AviSynth scripts, short of writing their own demuxer (which would be pointless). So it looks like as far as VLC goes, you wouldn't be able to play them anyway. It's weird that there seems to be no hook into libavformat, but maybe it's under the hood somewhere and the actual problem is that the official builds just didn't use a build of libavformat that had AviSynth support enabled.

If you want something *other* than Windows Media Player or MPC-Homecinema that can definitely play them, use mpv (builds here), although it requires a little bit of command line knowledge. Make sure to get the 32-bit build, because you're using 32-bit AviSynth.
My profile on MyAnimeList | Quasistatic Regret: yeah, yeah, I finally got a blog

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: Avisynth does nothing.

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:56 am

In this particular instance where they would be editing with the AviSynth script I would recommend FFMS2 instead of LSMASHsource simply because it isn't 100% frame accurate when seeking (however if you were to convert the whole video it would be fine). I haven't tested a lot, but I do know that LSMASHsource was very inconsistent with picking the correct frames when using the trim function in AviSynth.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Return to “Video & Audio Help”