MKV to MP4

VortexMV
Org Profile

MKV to MP4

Post by VortexMV » Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:07 pm

Hi guys, I just wanna know a way to convert my .mkv files to .mp4, so I can edit on Vegas. I tried the MKVtoMP4 software that I saw on pixelblendedstudio website, but it did'nt worked for me. (When I put the converted footage on Vegas, It freezes or just shows Green Screens on the timeline). VirtualDubMKV don't work here either, because of some "fmcodec" problem or something like that.

Sorry for my bad english. I appreciate your attention :book:

FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!
Org Profile

Re: MKV to MP4

Post by FarmXD » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:23 pm

I think you should convert anything to a lossless file.
Try codecs like Lagarith. If you want to pass a file
to mp4, well, I just use the AMVsimple thing.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:55 pm

VortexMV wrote:Hi guys, I just wanna know a way to convert my .mkv files to .mp4, so I can edit on Vegas. I tried the MKVtoMP4 software that I saw on pixelblendedstudio website, but it did'nt worked for me. (When I put the converted footage on Vegas, It freezes or just shows Green Screens on the timeline). VirtualDubMKV don't work here either, because of some "fmcodec" problem or something like that.

Sorry for my bad english. I appreciate your attention :book:
It's possible the video is 10bit based on what you are describing, so I would recommend converting to lossless AVI (the other set of instructions). The files will be larger, but it will maintain the best quality.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:38 am

When I deal with MKV files, I use "MKVextractGUI 1.6.3" to remove any audio tracks and subtitle tracks. (check that the output file plays, not all will in my experience)
Then I use Xvid4PSP to cut it down to the clips I want (or maybe just convert the whole file), rendering it to FFV1. Load that into Vegas and convert the bits you want to Ut. Edit with THOSE.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:05 am

<removed, misread previous post>
Last edited by l33tmeatwad on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:19 am

HalOfBorg wrote:...FFV1...
I don't recommend FFV1 for editing with...
Last edited by l33tmeatwad on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:32 am

Also I would like to point out, while xvid4psp does use avisynth, it uses directshowsource by default, which opens up another potential set of problems...

HalOfBorg
Org Profile

Post by HalOfBorg » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:28 am

I never said it was a great method, but it works. AND I said to convert the FFV1 files to uT to edit with. I would avoid Xvid4psp altogether if I knew how to remove the video from the mkv container. And avoid ffv1 if xvid4psp worked with another lossless codec. I just do what I can with the underpowered damp sponge I have inside my skull.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer - http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:26 am

HalOfBorg wrote:I never said it was a great method, but it works. AND I said to convert the FFV1 files to uT to edit with. I would avoid Xvid4psp altogether if I knew how to remove the video from the mkv container. And avoid ffv1 if xvid4psp worked with another lossless codec. I just do what I can with the underpowered damp sponge I have inside my skull.
Honestly, if you want just to video to be useable and it's not 10-bit, you could just recontainer with AMVtool which will move the video and audio (though if the audio isn't AAC it will re-encode it) to an MP4 container. I haven't really extensively looked at xvid4psp, but since it does use AviSynth it could be configured to use better methods for importing of the footage...that said, I don't really see the point in going through that hassle, because if you know how to adjust that you could just make a small script and save to lossless AVI using VirutualDub. The original poster apparently went by my studio site and read the Handling MKV & MP4 Files guide, but only used the first method. I really need to put up a guide on how to see if your footage is 10bit...
Last edited by l33tmeatwad on Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VortexMV
Org Profile

Post by VortexMV » Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:54 am

I tried to use the method to convert the .mkv to .avi lossless, but the VirtualDub was showing a error that he cannot read the script "LWLibavVideoSource("video.mkv")" from the video.avs

*I installed the L-SMASH WORKS correctly and the mvscr.dll or something was already installed on my PC. I´m about to giving up D: :cry:

Return to “Video & Audio Help”