AMV Editing: A dying hobby (?)

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
TheAMVShow
Org Profile

Re: AMV Editing: A dying hobby (?)

Post by TheAMVShow » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:28 pm

NME wrote:an artform that recycles consumer products created for profit cannot survive
Yeah, tell that to Djs.

blaksun
The one and lonely ... only
Org Profile

Post by blaksun » Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:00 pm

TheAMVShow wrote:
NME wrote:an artform that recycles consumer products created for profit cannot survive
Yeah, tell that to Djs.
and too Hollywood :rofl:
Text endless companions so foe raid ones and even less that makes sense :)

OropherZero
Org Profile

Post by OropherZero » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:02 am

To me it's because the divide between music and anime is increasing. Once upon a time a lot of songs worked for the current shows but now it's becoming increasingly harder to match western songs with the new type of shows out. This is probably why the Linkin Park Hybrid Theory days lasted for a long time, because the songs just worked so well with shounen.

Anyway I find amvnews.ru a good place to source AMVs now =D I've just downloaded like 20 vids from there in the past hour which is probably more vids than I've downloaded through the announcement page on this website all year.

Frostreturns
Org Profile

Post by Frostreturns » Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:37 am

blaksun wrote:
TheAMVShow wrote:
Yeah, tell that to Djs.
and too Hollywood :rofl:
Or every dubstep song ever. :awesome:

DriftRoot
Org Profile

Post by DriftRoot » Sun Oct 06, 2013 8:52 am

Survival of the fittest, hey hey here we are.

There's an ebb and flow to everything, it's just really uncomfortable to be in a position to see the decline of something and unable to do much about it. The tide's against us, surely, but we weren't paddling all that hard to begin with.

AMVs make me feel old, which I supposed I am in terms of being pretty far to one end of the age spectrum in this hobby. None of us are getting any younger, though. If I was younger and discovering this hobby, there is no way in heck I'd be hanging out on this website, looking to it for mentoring or pinning my hobby hopes on making it "big" here.

But it's not just this site which makes me feel my age, it's all the other places featuring AMVs and the people who are there. I don't like the style or nature of a lot of "modern" AMVs, as others have said it's all flash over substance. Flash gets attention out there, as does whatever's cool in the moment. As much as we have had our bouts with favoritism and flashiness, there were a lot of gems which I still see shown at cons which originated here, from the people who made this site what is was back in the day.

In this regard I think we need to remember that as much as the hobby has moved on from a-m-v.org, this place and its members are very much responsible (for better or for worse) for making the hobby what it is today. Whether it was watching a classic comedyand thinking "that's hilarious, and I bet I could do that with X anime and it would be soo funny!" or being inspired by some a dramatic video which brought out the heart and soul of a series. We proved it was within reach to do all of that and more. There are still some editors out there pursuing that goal, but it's a hard one and a lot of folks aren't going to bother if a lot less effort will get them the accolades and YouTube views which is largely how "success" is measured these days.

Heh, I remember the evolution of it. At one point I saw no reason to put my videos on YouTube, I didn't are about what people there wanted. Then I finally put some up, but mostly because other people were uploading my videos and "swiping" thousands of views from me. THEN I started paying closer attention to keeping those videos updated, monitoring the stats and tampering with things for best results. Meanwhile, my attention to what was going on with my videos here went in the exact opposite direction.

Today, if I was to make another video, it would be uploaded here for two reasons: a) to provide a quality download and b) to ensure my video catalog was complete. It wouldn't be because I was hoping for feedback or for a new video to receive any kind of special attention. *shrug* I wouldn't fare much better on YouTube because I just don't market myself in the right circles and I don't make the kinds of videos which could gain a lot of traction. It doesn't bother me, though, that's not why I got into this hobby or stayed with it for so long.

hehe, not sure I should even call myself an editor anymore, is there some kind of expiration date on that? Like, if you haven't cracked open your editing software in a year, you're "out?" I haven't quit, but when I really think about it, if someone asked me what my hobbies were, I really don't think I would include making AMVs in that list, anymore. :(

Shui
Shuitcake
Org Profile

Post by Shui » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:51 pm

I think that AMVs are bigger than ever and easier to do than ever. Just look at all those shiny sources, you don't even need effort anymore.

The Online Mekka of AMVs are definitely the Russians and the French. But I know there are local communities everywhere - nowadays people don't have to come to the org and put up with english if they want to talk about AMVs or release and watch them. It makes me upset that there isn't a central place to find everything, but well - times change.
Spoiler :
fucking stealing other poeples hard work and claiming it as your own, you guys should be ashemed

ppl fukin fuk spent years making those animes, blood sweat and spilt coffe stains drawing all day long just to get a title "animator: this GUY" and then those music ppl spend years learning to produce music, teams of so many hard working ppl just trying to get their stuff out there in the world then WHAT TEH FUK DO U GUYS DO? u fukin take the drawings, u fukin take the music, then u just slap it fukin together like its fukin nothing, then u make banners and og take credit for it fukin all like u fukin made shit goin amv contests actin liek ur teh fukin shit fukin sayin i amde this fukin liek if u fukin did fukin makin fukin the fukin fukin fukin fukin - MiyaDV (2014)

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:11 am

When I post an a-m-v.org link to Facebook, it doesn't generate a direct video window that the viewer that can then click on to watch it directly in their timeline on their phone. There's one of the Org's first problems.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:30 am

DJ_Izumi wrote:When I post an a-m-v.org link to Facebook, it doesn't generate a direct video window that the viewer that can then click on to watch it directly in their timeline on their phone. There's one of the Org's first problems.
I'm curious as to what services actually do this... In my experience 9/10 videos I see on YouTube are blocked via mobile devices because of copyright claims on the audio.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:35 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
DJ_Izumi wrote:When I post an a-m-v.org link to Facebook, it doesn't generate a direct video window that the viewer that can then click on to watch it directly in their timeline on their phone. There's one of the Org's first problems.
I'm curious as to what services actually do this... In my experience 9/10 videos I see on YouTube are blocked via mobile devices because of copyright claims on the audio.
Stop using the official youtube app. All AMVs work fine on mobiles in other youtube apps.

DJ_Izumi
Org Profile

Post by DJ_Izumi » Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:56 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Err, yeah, I'm actually pretty certain that specific Youtube mobile players don't block videos due to copyright and that copyright blocks are globally applied to the entire YouTube system...

Return to “General AMV”