AMV Editing: A dying hobby (?)

General discussion of Anime Music Videos
Animated
Drama Text Cop
Org Profile

Re: AMV Editing: A dying hobby (?)

Post by Animated » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:18 am

FarmXD wrote:
Animated wrote:all the great old editors are gone...
I'm still here babe.
Pffffrrrrrrrffffttttttt :asd:

So, after reading all of that thread, I take it that the .org has one or a maximum of two more years left... It's a pity, really :| There hasn't been a day in the last two years that I haven't logged in to see what's happening...

FarmXD
Farmer Farm wants to battle!
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:25 am

I joined with this account in 2008 but my first AMV was made in 2002
in DAT movie maker

FarmXD
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:29 am

I don't care if AMV editing is dying, I still enjoy it after
11 years ( I knew AMV's by some anime magazines) so you gave
me the great idea of create some shitty pack with some of
my AMV's before knowing a-m-v.org and the ones I never wanted
to upload. Enough motivation, watching my horrible old ones
and the latest ones, seems like I still enjoy this weird hobby.

:shark:

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:54 pm

Animated wrote:So, after reading all of that thread, I take it that the .org has one or a maximum of two more years left... It's a pity, really :|
As far as I know, this sites main purpose is to catalog amvs. Which it's still great at, and there's no reason it shouldn't be for years to come regardless of whether people activity give opinions or not. Youtube will never be good in this respect.

The FTP system just needs to go, tis a relic.

FarmXD
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:46 pm

It's trapped in time, indeed, the problem is find someone who could change
things with administration approval.

...maybe this is Cornwiggle's curse, the power of his hate is doing this

AceD
I AM THE BEST
Org Profile

Post by AceD » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:25 pm

More importantly, why did my browser auto-correct actively to activity....darn add-ons.

Unfortunately it's never going to change now, unless somebody gets paid to do it. To much work to do as a freebie in somebodies spare time.

Eake4
Australian Zeus
Org Profile

Post by Eake4 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:39 pm

Animated wrote:the .org has one or a maximum of two more years left... It's a pity, really
With a whole new design it can extend its lifespan a bit, though if this does die i bet another org will be created similar to hummingbird's relationship to MAL.

FarmXD
Org Profile

Post by FarmXD » Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:39 am

More than a new design I think it needs functions of today.
I was in a lot of AMV communities and most of them complains
about the uploading system (Wich is an obvious thing, everybody knows
that but I don't really care about the FTP thing). I think forum is
ok just like this, but the main page needs a full reform. My opinion is
if someone wants to save the page and he/she can do something, he/she
can ask for permission and support, no need to be pay if someone really
wants. I would love to do that because I love this site, but I don't
know a sh-t about websites :/

SQ
Doesn't have a title
Org Profile

Post by SQ » Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:33 pm

I've been out of the community since really 2007 I guess. So I can only work with what I've noticed outside the site, hobby, and cons in that period of time.

2009 and prior, new editors I was talking to on other sites didn't want to join the .org because we were 'elitists'.
2009 to now, I've noticed a huge surge in youtube AMV "communities" (channels). Best amvs of all time being one of them. And those channels, all the videos look super nice, and use new anime and upbeat music. And they're all (generally) less than 3 minutes long, heavily composited, and have tons of action scenes and/or flashy images.

I've been getting into some of the non-anime vidding community (as a watcher) as well, and the same thing is in there: Pretty source, popular footage, ADD cutting. These are the ones that are regarded as "really good" anyway. But you what it's lacking? Plot. There's no story in these videos. It's just showing off pretty shit.
So whether this is good editing or not, it's fun to watch, and that's apparently what the viewers want to see.

I liked the .org because while some of the most popular videos were flashy, overall most editors likes story telling more. I think because of this, among other reasons, was why we ultimately died.

Things other people mentioned were the lack of communication between people. I think the .org has sucked at this from the beginning. No comments on journals, no comments on videos, the comments we finally did get on vids are anonymous and only for locally hosted videos. Opinions you can only get one response and then, then you can only show 2 opinions to other people?? WHY?
Why wouldn't you want to share/see what other people have said?

The bottom line is, .org has made it so you have to jump through hurdles just to connect with people outside the forum. I mean the day we got our forum posts to link to our amv profile pages should not have taken so long...

I think now, new users aren't joining and people aren't contributing because:

- the .org is old and not shiny
- people are lazy and the .org interface has a high learning curve
- nobody uses forums anymore
- .org has no huge viewership, it is only a catalog
- there is a "not good enough" feeling to submitting things here. Once it's here, it's here forever, and that can be a lot of pressure.
- no instant gratification.... On anything.

Furthermore, Arigatomina... You gave me so many really lengthy opinions. I loved your opinions! I used to give long opinions too, but they weren't as positive as yours. Definitely the reason I stopped doing it is because nobody talks anymore. And even if they did respond, what were the chances the editor would feature your op publicly? Slim to none.
What is the point.

I think the redesign would help. Not solve anything, but help. But moreso I don't think we need a redesign anymore. I think we just need to realize the old .org is not what people want and we should start over. If we have to pay someone to do that, so be it.
We all got together to make the donut happen. I don't see why we all couldn't come together to hire a developer. A lot of the oldbies are still here, they just lurk.
StandardQuip
Discord: @standardquip
BentoVid (previously AMV Sashimi) Discord Server

8bit_samurai
Hmm...
Org Profile

Post by 8bit_samurai » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:51 pm

SQ wrote:
I think now, new users aren't joining and people aren't contributing because:

- the .org is old and not shiny
- people are lazy and the .org interface has a high learning curve
- nobody uses forums anymore
- .org has no huge viewership, it is only a catalog
- there is a "not good enough" feeling to submitting things here. Once it's here, it's here forever, and that can be a lot of pressure.
- no instant gratification.... On anything.
I'd say the biggest problem would be the Org's awkward interface which contributes to the rest of the problems stated in some way or another. I'm guessing the way it was created and the way things are now is probably because the site's main goal of being a catalog first and everything else was probably secondary. That and it probably wasn't an issue back when there wasn't a youtube and you either use the Org or created your own website (or leech off someone else's site) to host AMVs or something along those lines.
Under Construction

Return to “General AMV”