The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread -- Final Voting RIGHT NOW!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread -- Final Voting RIGHT N

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:54 pm

Rider4Z wrote:i care more if the video actually entertained me. skill is secondary in my opinion and can be learned by anyone. but ideas and heart can't be taught. :idea: <3
I'm not referring to editing skill, more like BASIC things like AR and cropping.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:58 pm

shoot i still get that stuff wrong from time to time :P

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Rider4Z wrote:shoot i still get that stuff wrong from time to time :P
Opening your eyes to see borders around the video and turning the DVD case over to see a "4:3" or "16:9" written on the box takes little effort...

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:04 pm

you forgot 1.85:1 and 2.40:1

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:08 pm

Rider4Z wrote:you forgot 1.85:1 and 2.40:1
The video itself will be either 4:3 or 16:9, with borders added for additional aspect ratios...so no I did not forget them, it's just not something that anyone needs to concern themself with until after they have cropped the video (which they could do AFTER resizing it to 16:9).

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:19 pm

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:22 am

Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

JazzsVids
Org Profile

Post by JazzsVids » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:56 pm

So here is my review. :bear:
Since I don’t know who made what, I’m scared to review these XD I don’t want to offend anyone, especially any associates of mine. I hope I was not too harsh on anyone’s video entry.
Some of them I just didn’t have anything to comment on, so I refrained from reviewing those. Also I didn’t view any of the R, NC-17, or X rated entries.
Not many good entries this year.
Spoiler :
002 – I dislike this song so much. So my opinion may be biased towards the song and not your editing. I thought the edit was cute. The anime is pretty so it kind of edits itself. I was still kind of bored with it. It was hard for me to pick out anything that was special about it. Still, very cute viddie.
004 – Well, I found it more interesting than most Toradora AMVs. It was a cute romance video. Not much else I want to say about it though.
006 – I found this one really interesting. It kept me watching the whole time, so that’s a good thing. I didn’t like so much the clips overlaying of clips over clips, but as I finished the video I began to forget about it. I found the scenes a bit random though. They were all over the place and didn’t really make any sense. I guess I wouldn’t consider it best storytelling, but for like a psychedelic mood, it was really good. :)
007 – Ahhh Disney! :D This was one of my favorite entries. The quality was so beautiful. I’m not a huge fan of Glee songs though. I do feel the pacing was a bit slow and you lingered on clips a bit too long. But it actually worked. The clips were just so visually interesting that I didn’t mind so much. Nice work :)
008 – The song was catchy. I thought the scenes were really random. I don’t understand the point of this AMV. But the song and all the running kept it active and kept my interest.
009 – LOL so funny. Lip sync was great. Props to that, because I fail at it. Of course I think it’s the dialogue that makes it funny, not so much the editing. So the comedy part of it was already done for you. But thanks to your video I have now discovered Swoozie on YT and am currently watching all of his vids XDD He’s hilarious. Ok I’m getting off topic lol.
010 – This anime has such beautiful scenes. I’m a fan of it. I think your edit was overall good, but in my opinion I found it slow and boring. You rarely ever hit any major beats in the song. It just didn’t sync well. You linger too long on clips. I think if you had picked up the pace a bit more it would have been more interesting.
011 – A nice action AMV. It’s hard for me to judge because I’m not much of an action editor, so I don’t know what I’m looking for. Personally I didn’t like a lot of your zoom in/out transition panning. I feel it was overdone, really repetitive, and didn’t flow well. Some of the masking transitions didn’t flow well either. They would come in too fast or slow and this really broke the flow of the video. Overall it was a pretty good video though. It kept me watching.
012 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
013 – I’m biased towards Fun/Upbeat AMVs because they’re my favorite. When I can visually see the work that was put into the video, that’s what I enjoy the most. This was one of my favorite submissions and was the AMV I enjoyed the most in this contest. It kept my attention the entire video. I do feel there could have been more organization of the colors being used. There were just so many different colors being used and it was random. I expect more of a pattern I guess. Especially when you made her face/skin black, it was just disturbing for my eyes. All these light pastel colors and then suddenly BLACK! I didn’t like that lol. I think if you had used white for her face/skin it would have contrasted better. The editing was really good though.
014 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
015 – Mmm, I do see what you were trying to do here with your theme, but I don’t think it was executed very well. The pacing was too slow for an upbeat style AMV. Also I think it would have been more interesting if you could have included a few more FX. I was bored with all these raw clips. These are all just my own personal opinions and tastes. I also thought the video lacked proper flow. I think you had a really cute idea with this AMV and I just feel it could have been done a little better.
016 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
018 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
019 – Very interesting :)
020 – *yawns*
021 – I think this is the best Action entry. Very good flow and transitions. The song fits this anime perfectly. Rewatch value: High :) I do feel some of the pacing was a bit too fast though. I didn’t understand the point of you cropping out the video at around 2:15. That was kind of random.
022 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
033 – Hmm I’m starting to think Romance AMVs are just not my thing. I was bored with this. I didn’t really like all the crossfades either.
039 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
046 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
048 – It was ok.
050 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
051 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
068 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one. I didn’t watch it (Only because I don’t want to spoil the movie) :) I’m sure your video is lovely.
070 – This one was just too random for me. I had no idea what was going on. The beginning of the AMV had a very pleasant atmosphere though. The song choice was nice. I just felt it didn’t fit your clips at all. I don’t understand what kind of story you were trying to tell. Maybe it’s because I have never watched this anime. Whoa, did his head just blow up? XDD
071 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
074 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
075 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
078 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
079 – Not one of my favorites.
080 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
089 – I feel the music and clips didn’t relate well at all.
090 – Clannad and The Fray. What more can I say. It was not unique. The story of Clannad will always be a touching one, but I can only watch it in an AMV so many times. If you are going to edit sentimental to Clannad, at least do something with it that makes it stand out from the rest. Make it unique. Not saying the editing wasn’t good. It was a very pretty sentimental video. Quality was good.
095 – “Jesus Jesus JESUS” XDD Lol this was funny.
097 – These characters look waaaay to happy for a horror trailer. It’s not a good fit. I don’t think this was a bad idea, I just think you didn’t do a good job setting the mood. There were a lot of things you could have done to make the atmosphere scarier (like playing with the color correction or something). I mean I’ve seen horror trailers of Disney movies, so I know it can be done. Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKwTt2p2N28
098 – I feel this shouldn’t be in a Professional level contest :/
102 – I love this music and I would just looove to see an amazing edit to it. I don’t think your clips fit this music well. I think the music has a more oriental sound to it. It doesn’t fit the medieval theme of your clips. I won’t get into what I thought of the editing (I don’t have much to say).
105 – I actually really enjoyed this AMV. I’ve never watched an AMV with this anime. It was quite refreshing to see a not so overused anime. The edit was very clean and didn’t distract from the scenes. I do think the flow was a bit lacking though.
109 – Not a very good edit. The jittery shakes didn’t fit well at all.
110 – I felt this was almost completely out of sync with the music. You rarely ever hit any of the major beats. It needs more work.
113 – Unfortunately for you, the other entry with this song greatly outshines yours. I’m so obsessed with this song right now. I think your AMV was ok, but nothing really special. I like that you made an attempt to include more FX though.
115 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
132 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
134 – Um, did you pitch the song? It sounds strange. They video was ok. I won’t say it’s the best edit. I love this song. I feel your video just lacked the impact and power that is felt in this song. Like when it hits the chorus there is just like that explosion in the beat and I think you failed in bringing out that impact. You missed a lot of major beats in the song. Nothing was very well synced. Overall though, I thought your edit was cute.
136 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
135 – I think it is quite obvious, this is not a Professional level entry.
138 – When the video started, my first thought was “umm this is weird” hahaha but then as I continued watching, it was actually really funny. A good comedy.
140 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
156 – Another Doomsday? XD
163 – I’ll refrain from reviewing this one.
167 – This was not entertaining for me.
Oh and I had a question. Can some videos be voted/win multiple categories?

MycathatesyouAMV
Based Dicknugget
Org Profile

Post by MycathatesyouAMV » Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:27 pm

JazzsVids wrote:
Yup
Discord: MycathatesyouAMV#5994

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:53 am

MycathatesyouAMV wrote:
JazzsVids wrote:
Yup

I remember 2011, the year Ileia won AWA.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Return to “AMV Contests”