The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread -- Final Voting RIGHT NOW!

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread -- Final Voting RIGHT N

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:25 pm

Scene matching? (can't say I went as far as last year, though - lol)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:52 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:for the nomination stage I voted very generally/broadly for parody... for all categories actually... I already knew which videos I'd be voting for in finals...

The other two, I kind of see as parodies of parodies.. but I didn't vote for either in finals >.>
What is the audio from 9 a parody of? I wasn't aware the audio was a parody of anything, as it seemed to me to just be an original sketch.

ish...Yeah I donno, that's the phone text one isn't it? I don't remember each video by numbers... sorry. Heck if I know... maybe it's people mixing up parody with comedy again? But i guess I kinda saw it as a parody of an original sketch? ish?

I donno I voted for several in that category... but as I said, I didn't vote for either of the two that are getting complaints for the final... but now there's a 50/50 guess as to what I did vote for :P

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:06 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:
JaddziaDax wrote:for the nomination stage I voted very generally/broadly for parody... for all categories actually... I already knew which videos I'd be voting for in finals...

The other two, I kind of see as parodies of parodies.. but I didn't vote for either in finals >.>
What is the audio from 9 a parody of? I wasn't aware the audio was a parody of anything, as it seemed to me to just be an original sketch.

ish...Yeah I donno, that's the phone text one isn't it? I don't remember each video by numbers... sorry. Heck if I know... maybe it's people mixing up parody with comedy again? But i guess I kinda saw it as a parody of an original sketch? ish?

I donno I voted for several in that category... but as I said, I didn't vote for either of the two that are getting complaints for the final... but now there's a 50/50 guess as to what I did vote for :P
Well with how poorly edited 97 was, I hope it wasn't that one....
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Re: The AWA 2013 Video Review Thread -- Final Voting Is Upon

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:12 pm

Rider4Z wrote:i got one in! |:> not a snowball's chance in winning considering the competition but hey :awesome:
CrackTheSky wrote: 132 - Rescue Me
Video footage was way overfiltered and ugly as sin, but other than that all my complaints are very, very minor. One of the most emotional videos in the contest that I've watched so far and one of my favorites. Just really, really great editing choices all around. 4.5/5
BEST. COMPLIMENT. EVAR!

(that was mine btw)
I nominated your video for a couple categories as well...

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:01 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Scene matching? (can't say I went as far as last year, though - lol)
I read this as "I decided to only use half of my ass this year."

Me2 :oops:
Last edited by Mr Pilkington on Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ghet
Org Profile

Post by Ghet » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:36 am

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Scene matching? (can't say I went as far as last year, though - lol)
Of everyone I talked to about this video, I think I was the only one that really saw this as a direct reference (The breathing scene was a dead giveaway to me.)
that being said, there are so many Radioactive videos that the only things that distinguished Ileia's from most others were that it was really damn well edited and that it was the first, so your video looked like it was mostly just a reasonable video with that song and had little connection to the original.
The difference between this and Extraball is that Extraball had the types of effects that immediately distinguish it from any other video, and when those effects were replicated in your video you couldn't not see that it was a parody, this one was far more missable.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:04 am

Ghet wrote:
Of everyone I talked to about this video, I think I was the only one that really saw this as a direct reference (The breathing scene was a dead giveaway to me.)
that being said, there are so many Radioactive videos that the only things that distinguished Ileia's from most others were that it was really damn well edited and that it was the first, so your video looked like it was mostly just a reasonable video with that song and had little connection to the original.
The difference between this and Extraball is that Extraball had the types of effects that immediately distinguish it from any other video, and when those effects were replicated in your video you couldn't not see that it was a parody, this one was far more missable.
Much like that Dance 9.0 video I submitted last year, problem was people didn't realize it was a parody and actually thought Nate submitted it. :awesome:
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

JaddziaDax
Crazy Cat Lady!
Org Profile

Post by JaddziaDax » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:57 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:Well with how poorly edited 97 was, I hope it wasn't that one....
I'm not telling you what I voted for. And the same goes for all the categories. I was only trying to explain why I believed the other two made it in the category.

Besides I don't need to justify MY VOTES to you or anyone. :P They are my choice, my votes, my criteria.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:20 pm

JaddziaDax wrote:
l33tmeatwad wrote:Well with how poorly edited 97 was, I hope it wasn't that one....
I'm not telling you what I voted for. And the same goes for all the categories. I was only trying to explain why I believed the other two made it in the category.

Besides I don't need to justify MY VOTES to you or anyone. :P They are my choice, my votes, my criteria.
I know what you were doing and I was not asking you to reveal anything. My comment was mostly me commenting on how I feel lazy/poor editing that completely ignores basic editing fundamentals shouldn't be rewarded.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

Rider4Z
The Machine
Org Profile

Post by Rider4Z » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:26 pm

i care more if the video actually entertained me. skill is secondary in my opinion and can be learned by anyone. but ideas and heart can't be taught. :idea: <3

Return to “AMV Contests”