MKV to... After Effects

varxtis
Org Profile

Re: MKV to... After Effects

Post by varxtis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:21 pm

Awesome. I had actually already tried installing the dll file by various methods including the one on the guide you just linked, but nothing ever worked. I would have posted such, but I was getting embarrassed with how many posts I was adding lol. Anyway, I had no clue about the msvcr110.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 thing. SO now the avs file successfully opens... kind of. It opens the video, but the video in the input/output panes are wonkie green and pink, and have vertical lines. Like so:

Also, your guide seems to be help for 64-bit setup, whereas you had earlier encouraged me to stick with 32-bit. Did I misunderstand?

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:29 pm

varxtis wrote:Awesome. I had actually already tried installing the dll file by various methods including the one on the guide you just linked, but nothing ever worked. I would have posted such, but I was getting embarrassed with how many posts I was adding lol. Anyway, I had no clue about the msvcr110.dll to C:\Windows\SysWOW64 thing. SO now the avs file successfully opens... kind of. It opens the video, but the video in the input/output panes are wonkie green and pink, and have vertical lines. Like so:

Quoted Image converted to link:
http://s10.postimg.org/72m0k5wyx/Valverave.jpg

Also, your guide seems to be help for 64-bit setup, whereas you had earlier encouraged me to stick with 32-bit. Did I misunderstand?
Source may be 10-bit, try:

Code: Select all

LWLibavVideoSource("video.mkv", format="YUV420P8")
varxtis wrote:Also, your guide seems to be help for 64-bit setup, whereas you had earlier encouraged me to stick with 32-bit. Did I misunderstand?
Even on 64-bit systems the software used for this stuff is 32-bit, the only difference is when installing the locations will be slightly different on 64-bit systems.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:22 pm

It worked perfect. First and foremost, thank you. Again I appreciate your time and help. At the risk of sound ungrateful though, Im still concerned about two things.
1.) The size. 1min 10sec clip resulted in a 1.45GB File. Thats REALLY too big. My computers are fairly new and were made with video editing and gaming in mind... However, space aside, Aftereffects is freaking out over the size and lagging really bad. Not to mention the user lol.

2.) Much MUCH less important if it means good size and quality, but Im concerned about how I will know what avs script works for what videos. I download Anime from all walks of life when it comes to sub groups. I notice that Horrible sub and UTW seems to have a general compression standard, but throw in Coalgirls and I get lost. I don't know what the defining characteristics are to differentiate 10-bit video from non 10-bit, and other videos.

As somewhat of a side note or question... If I understand the compression process correctly, Things like "MKV", "MP4", "MOV", "AVI", etc are "containers", but they are compressed using specific "codecs". Is there a way to just rip the video right out of an MKV in its original codec state? How on earth is a 24min mkv thats only 309mb translating to over 1.49GB for just a 1 minute clip of that very same video? As far as I understand MKVs are not compressed zip files that expand when unzipped. Or is that exactly what they are? Theres got to be a way to rip the video (lets say it's 200-250MB of the 309MB) right out of the MKV resulting in a 200-250mb 24min video (no audio or subs)

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:41 pm

Those file sizes sound about right.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:55 pm

Whaaat? So you're telling me that if I had saved the whole video to AVI (24 mins instead of just 1min) a 33.6 GB file for one episode of an anime that originally was 309mb sounds perfectly normal? If that truly is the case... then that means people who make AMVs featuring 20-60+ different animes must be splicing JUST the exact scenes (almost to the frame) they're needing for their AMV? Otherwise theyd need a hard drive the size of the Utah Data Center to have any sort of flexibility. O_o

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:18 pm

Most editors I know work in 720p instead of 1080p (40% of the file size).
Most BRD movies I've used were about 40-50GB for a 90-100 min movie.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Ya, I'm only interested in 720p myself. thats all I ever try to download and use. Huh... thats interesting. The script we ended up having to use in the avs was meant for 10-bit HD right? Which means AVIsynth or virtualdub thinks the video is 1080p? but its just a 720p release of Valvrave Episode 10 by GG.

And though it's still a bit outside my preferred target size, 40-50GB for a 90-100 min movie is still better than nearly 35GB for 24min. Honestly this is all kind of funny, because this was ment to be a simple exercise to extract various scenes where User Interfaces are shown in different animes and movies and turn into into one montage video to have with me and inspire me lol. and its turning into this huge thing XD. Trust me though, I am very very interested in understanding all this better so when I finally make my own AMV or video, its one less hurdle. I just really really wish I could get 200-300mb file size results with decent enough quality (the quality while in the MKV seems perfectly awesome to me to be honest) to use in After Effects T_T

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:46 pm

varxtis wrote:Ya, I'm only interested in 720p myself. thats all I ever try to download and use. Huh... thats interesting. The script we ended up having to use in the avs was meant for 10-bit HD right? Which means AVIsynth or virtualdub thinks the video is 1080p? but its just a 720p release of Valvrave Episode 10 by GG.
10bit is the color depth, not the resolution.

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:07 pm

k, gotcha. But l33t... so, the file sizes ARE accurate according to your method of extracting Video from MKVs? just wanna be sure im doing things right. 33.6gb for a 24min vid.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 5:11 pm

varxtis wrote:k, gotcha. But l33t... so, the file sizes ARE accurate according to your method of extracting Video from MKVs? just wanna be sure im doing things right. 33.6gb for a 24min vid.
Lossless videos are going to be very large (the sizes you mentioned sound about right), and unfortunately your videos are 10bit so you will not be able to simply recontainer the footage for use with editing software (8-bit videos would allow that).

Return to “Video & Audio Help”