AWA 2013 Roast!!

Convention Meetups, Socials, and Events
Forum rules
If posting about a specific convention, please mention the year along with its name in the title.
Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Re: AWA 2013 Roast!!

Post by Mr Pilkington » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:27 pm

You were just waiting for Image to post to follow that up, weren't you?

Mr Pilkington
Location: Well, hey, you, you should stop being over there and be over here!
Org Profile

Post by Mr Pilkington » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:15 pm

So now that AWA is over, and most of us have recovered from the con plague..... Sorry Dicknugget. For those of you that attended, I'd like to get some feedback. I will preempt this by saying, let's keep this positive and constructive. Our roasters spent a lot of time in planning, some rewriting several times over (because there's only so long people will listen to a rant about fonts..... ;p) So lets give them the due respect. It literally takes months of planning to bring this together, and those involved have sacrificed a lot of time to make this happen. Now that that is out of the way:

1.) The Roast, is it an event that you guys want to continue to see? I asked at VAT closing and the answer was an overwhelming "meh."

2.) If it does continue, did you guys enjoy the new setting and night? Anything you want to see changed/improved? Differences between previous years you may have preferred?

3.) (If it does continue) Who do you want to see roasted in the future? Newer editors? Older Editors? Or keep varying them?

4.) Who do you want to see as roast master and roasters? I like to keep the seats open to people who haven't participated before, but If there is a favorite you all overwhelmingly want to see return it's about entertaining you guys.

5.) Any other general (constructive) commentary?

I want to hear feedback, because that's how the even will improve. :up:

Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness
Org Profile

Post by Kitsuner » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:30 am

Mr Pilkington wrote:If there is a favorite you all overwhelmingly want to see return it's about entertaining you guys.
8-) 8-) 8-)

Seriously though, I enjoy participating in the roast a lot, and the new format is pretty cool. I talked to you about this Saturday night, but in case you were too drunk to remember, I think Zarxrax would be a fantastic choice for next year's honoree. He's well-known to the point where he's become a verb in addition to popularizing a subgenre of comedy AMVs. Plus next year is AMV Hell's 10 year anniversary. Get ssgwnbtd as the roastmaster, plus some other funny editors he's worked with (who was that one guy who started out by sending 60 videos to Hell 3/0 again?) and you'll have a solid crew. AND! AND! He's made a lot of really funny and fun videos, so even if the roasters don't modify the stuff they show, the audience will still get good laughs.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]

ssgwnbtd
Org Profile

Post by ssgwnbtd » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:35 am

I might be able to host. Idk. I'd have to be a little drunk.

MaboroshiStudio
Org Profile

Post by MaboroshiStudio » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:12 am

Maybe do it where the roasters are not roasting live... pre-recorded everything and edit it / play it on the big screen. It could combat time, stage fright and possibly make it more funny as it would be more scripted with pop-ups / photos and stuff. Don't get me wrong the live aspect is great in concept, but we are not comedians nor actors... so I say make it uber funny this way and see how people like it.

Kit or someone else could interrupt / hijack the video and give his translation / take on things as well like Tosh 2.0. The biggest thing that would be lost in this presentation is people burning each other in a direct manner... still people can make fun of each other in the video.

ZephyrStar
Master of Science
Org Profile

Post by ZephyrStar » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:52 am

I think Maboroshi's idea is great. Each year the rosters could do like a "roast mep" type of thing. That would allow for showcasing of the editor's videos + the bastardizing and making fun of. The cool thing too is that all the work put into it would be solidified, if you're going to spend months prepping for the event, might as well have a really awesome video to show from it by the end? Maybe there would be a live component too, but it could be condensed.

The cash bar was a plus, but I don't know about the costs involved there.

Vlad G Pohnert
Org Profile

Post by Vlad G Pohnert » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:27 am

Having something live in some way beats just watching a video as that is something one can do anytime and there is no audience interaction. I think it also depends on who is doing the roasting as some people can play off the audience much better.

In general, I think the live roast works provided the creators doing the roast come prepped and can play off the audience

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2019, 2022 AMV Coordinator
Otafest 2012 - 2024 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 2003 - 2024 AMV Coordinator

Lord Rae
Org Profile

Post by Lord Rae » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:50 am

I enjoyed the Roast and the idea of having something on Thursday is great. Now that Joe mentions it I think since we are all editors that editing a roast with video, gifs and pop in translations from Kit could be amazing. It's certainly in our wheelhouse whereas comedy and public speaking probably isn't. Definitely have the roastee view it along with everyone else so it would be "live to tape" in a way. You could also get crazy with it and go green screen for some added production value if you did it taped.

But overall I really enjoyed it. Live or whatever I would definitely come to one again.

Koopiskeva
|:
Location: Out There Occupation: Fondling Private Areas ..of the Nation.
Org Profile

Post by Koopiskeva » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:28 am

It was cool to be roasted, so thank you for that opportunity! o: I like Kit's idea of having Zarx for next year if he can make it.
Hi.

XStylus
Org Profile

Post by XStylus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:30 am

RadicalYue needs to get her flamer ass roasted. :twisted:

(Plus it gives her an excuse to return to AWA next year.)
"Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth." — J. Michael Straczynski

Return to “Anime Conventions”