MKV to... After Effects

varxtis
Org Profile

MKV to... After Effects

Post by varxtis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:04 am

My question: How do I extract high quality footage from an MKV that is usable in Adobe After Effects and Premiere? Something that is high quality, but doesn't take up have my hard drive space for one average anime episode.

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit

More details:
Im trying to get video extracted from MKVs to use in AfterEffects. Ive been using Handbrake H.264 Codec Compression method, but apparently After Effects doesn't like that. When I loaded the compressed footage into After Effects, After Effects recognizes the footage and the size, but the duration only shows up as less then 1 second. When put into the timeline its translated into only 10frames. I requested help over at another forum, but a guy just implied that it was odd I was using Lossy compression instead of trying to retaining the lossless footage. I explained that "I'm using H.264 lossy compression methods because Im under the impression that its still high quality while saving on space." He hasn't replied or anything. Just kind of left me hanging thinking that lossless vs. lossy IS the key. So, I went the virtualdub method. I wanted to use Huffyuv, but either it wouldn't be listed in the 32-bit version of virtualdub under video>compression, or it would for the 64-bit version but the input/output panes would be grey/blank when importing footage. I even went ahead and tried saving in the 64-bit version using huffyuv despite not being able to see the footage, and sure enough, the resulting saved footage was grey/blank. SO, then I tried Lagarith Lossless. THIS is exactly why I was concerned about using lossless, because the resulting files are ginormous. Over 1 Gig for a 1min and 10 sec clip. After Effects was able to run, view, and edit this footage, but it was ridiculously slow and laggy.

Also, I promise, Ive tried to do my due diligence and read up on this topic from after dawn and videocopilot to Adobe itself, but all I find are guides that strongly encourage getting everything lined up and getting your footage prepared to be used in after effects. But nothing avctually indicates whats the best most practical format/codec to use for After Effects.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Re: MKV to... After Effects

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:12 pm

varxtis wrote:...Ive been using Handbrake H.264 Codec Compression method...
:nono: BAD!!! Do not recompress your footage to a lossy format, you are RUINING your footage when you do that! :sorcerer:

If you are looking to save space and the videos are not 10bit, you could recontainer, however the BEST method is to recompress to a lossless AVIs to work with in your editing software. Huffyuv hasn't been updated in a very long time and there are better codecs to use. Personally I would recommend Ut Codec. Here's a guide I have for handling MKVs several different ways: Handling MKV & MP4 Files

Additionally, when it comes to converting your footage, make sure you are using the 32-bit version of everything when using AviSynth to handle the footage to convert it to AVI.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:43 pm

Thank you so very much, I really appreciate it. Is there anywhere or any books you might suggest me reviewing so i can better understand compression and codecs from a practical stand point? id like very much to be self sufficient in understanding this stuff for when random situations come up... but theres soooo much out there, a lot of it out dated that I dont know exactly what to look for I guess.

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Okay, so I downloaded, Installed, and then tried using UtVideo Codec... I used the original script method for avs which is as follows:

Directshowsource("C:\Users\Varxtis\Videos\UI Footage\Valvrave the Liberator - 10 [gg].mkv")

I opened the avs in virtualdub, and compressed using UtVideo RGB from the list under Video>Compression. Unknowingly it happened to be the exact codec you suggest in your guide on handling MKVs and MP4s. The resulting file (which is only 2 mins) was 1.3Gb. So, then I decided to go ahead and take a look at your guide for handling MKVs. I followed the directions under section B for MKVs (non-10-bit... so the middle script option). When I try to open that avs in virtualdub, I get:

Avisynth open failure:
Script Error: There is no function named "LWLibavVideoSource"
(C:\AMVvideo.avs, line1)

I don't know what Im doing wrong.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:47 pm

varxtis wrote:Okay, so I downloaded, Installed, and then tried using UtVideo Codec... I used the original script method for avs which is as follows:

Directshowsource("C:\Users\Varxtis\Videos\UI Footage\Valvrave the Liberator - 10 [gg].mkv")

I opened the avs in virtualdub, and compressed using UtVideo RGB from the list under Video>Compression. Unknowingly it happened to be the exact codec you suggest in your guide on handling MKVs and MP4s. The resulting file (which is only 2 mins) was 1.3Gb. So, then I decided to go ahead and take a look at your guide for handling MKVs. I followed the directions under section B for MKVs (non-10-bit... so the middle script option). When I try to open that avs in virtualdub, I get:

Avisynth open failure:
(C:\AMVvideo.avs, line1)

I don't know what Im doing wrong.
I probably need to add a required software line above each tutorial. LWLibavVideoSource is part of L-SMASH-Works and can be downloaded here.

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:46 pm

sry to be one of those guys... but I went to the link, clicked the "L-SMASH r764 09/11 Updated" link, and tried downloading L-SMASH-Works r688v2.7z, but it says "no preview is available. There seems to be other options under "old" folder... is there a different one I should be downloading? again, please forgive me for the trouble and thank you for your time and help.

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:47 pm

Nevermind... figured it out. sry. will test now ^_^

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:55 pm

K, unzipped, and installed the exe files under the x64
-boxdumper.exe
-muxer.exe
-remuxer.exe
-timelineeditor.exe
Initially I installed the sited exe files under the win32 folder since I am running virtualdub 32bit and avisynth 32bit. but when they didn't work, I figured the win32 and x64 folders were in relation to which Windows 7 version Im running, which is 64-bit.
Anyway, im still running into the same problem:
Avisynth open failure:
(C:\AMV\video.avs, line1)

So either I downloaded the wrong L-Smash pack after all, or Im doing something else wrong. again, sorry to be one of those guys :\

varxtis
Org Profile

Post by varxtis » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:01 am

I wish this thing had edit capabilities. Anyway, just wanted to add I did download L-SMASH-Works too... it didn't have LWLibavVideoSource in the pack. none of the packs listed on the site you linked seem to have that specific one.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Mon Sep 16, 2013 9:19 am

varxtis wrote:I wish this thing had edit capabilities. Anyway, just wanted to add I did download L-SMASH-Works too... it didn't have LWLibavVideoSource in the pack. none of the packs listed on the site you linked seem to have that specific one.
The dll is "LSMASHsource.dll", I also have a complete setup guide for all the software listed on all my guides if that helps any.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”