AWA 2013 Roast!!

This forum is for the announcement and discussion of anime conventions, and for the exchanging of rides to, and rooms at, conventions.

AWA 2013 Roast!!

Postby Mr Pilkington » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:45 pm

And now the announcement you've all been waiting for!

Thank you Benny

The AWA 2013 AMV Roast

We’ll get to the big reveal shortly, but first the foreplay. Most of you know what this is about. Some have even bore witness to them, and have our deepest sympathy. But for those that are yet unlearned of the events following let me explain:
The AWA roasts are an annual event designed to honor our best and brightest. One day we’ll accomplish that too! For now we’re stuck, like most of these events, celebrating our most well-known has-beens; which are willing to spend their own money, traveling (sometimes) hundreds of miles to come receive abuse from his or her own peers. It’s a thankless task, and you love it. What greater way to celebrate the fine art of schadenfreude? And the concept is simple, 4 guests of my choosing are asked to come rip into the “guest of honor.” And then some poor schlub has to moderate this! Doesn’t that sound like fun…. to watch? So if you’re looking for a reason to come to AWA, there’s some anime stuff, and surely swag for sale, plus I think there’s a contest or something (not quite sure that the deal is there); but then there’s The Roast. You know you love it.

That’s all cool, but just tell us who is being roasted?

This year, we’re proud to present the roast of:

If you haven’t heard of this guy, me either, but you will! I’m sure our roasters and roast master are ready to tell you all about him and his life’s work. Let’s see who else is involved:

Our Roast Master:
And our roasters:
Time, Date and location:
Thursday September 26, 2013 @10pm in the AWA VAT.
Come join us for dinner at 8, stay for lulz.
I promise you, good times are ahead! :up:

ADDED NOTE:
I'm looking for a few extra people to help out with the intro mep. If you're interested, PM me.
Last edited by Mr Pilkington on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<Orwell> WTF are they doing upstairs. Almost sounds like construction
<[Kristyrat]> Orwell, you see / <[Kristyrat]> when a man really likes a woman / <[Kristyrat]> or has a bottle of chloroform
<inthesto> He takes her stuff / <inthesto> And then poops in her vagina
Mr Pilkington

Re: AWA 2013 Roast!!

Postby Castor Troy » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:05 pm

This will be greatness! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
"Vlad, you will not get my new blockbuster video. Sorry bro." - Chemix800, Hollywood Editor
Castor Troy
Ryan Molina, A.C.E

Postby Vlad G Pohnert » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Why go do dinner then if we are going to have roast Koop :P

Vlad
Sakura-Con 2013 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
AX 2012 - 2014 AMV Assistant Manager
AWA Atlanta 2011-2014 VAT Programming Head
Otafest 2012 - 2014 AMV Coordinator
Animethon 11 - 21 AMV Coordinator
Vlad G Pohnert

Postby Mr Pilkington » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Vlad G Pohnert wrote:Why go do dinner then if we are going to have roast Koop :P

Tastes great, but less filling.
<[Kristyrat]> Orwell, you see / <[Kristyrat]> when a man really likes a woman / <[Kristyrat]> or has a bottle of chloroform
Mr Pilkington

Postby ngsilver » Sat Sep 07, 2013 11:26 pm

There's always room for roast Koop!
ImageImage
ImageImageImage
ngsilver
The Hookah Guy

Postby Ileia » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:01 am

Because Asian food just leaves you hungry again in a half hour.
Ileia
CornDog Whisperer

Postby The Wired Knight » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:28 am

Looking forward to it - though I will admit to being slightly annoyed that I got left out of the planning on this one since this project was my brainchild.
BANG

Intellectual Property, Real Estate & Probate Attorney.
The Wired Knight

Postby ReggieSmalls » Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:06 pm

I'll do what I did last year, just sit in the very back and yell things out.
If I Ain't Happy I Get Slappy!!!
ReggieSmalls

Postby mexicanjunior » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:03 pm

Awesome! Looking forward to this... :D
mexicanjunior

Postby SailorDeath » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:59 pm

ngsilver wrote:There's always room for roast Koop!

mmm roast poop
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....
SailorDeath

Postby Mr Pilkington » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:27 pm

You were just waiting for Image to post to follow that up, weren't you?
Mr Pilkington

Postby Mr Pilkington » Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:15 pm

So now that AWA is over, and most of us have recovered from the con plague..... Sorry Dicknugget. For those of you that attended, I'd like to get some feedback. I will preempt this by saying, let's keep this positive and constructive. Our roasters spent a lot of time in planning, some rewriting several times over (because there's only so long people will listen to a rant about fonts..... ;p) So lets give them the due respect. It literally takes months of planning to bring this together, and those involved have sacrificed a lot of time to make this happen. Now that that is out of the way:

1.) The Roast, is it an event that you guys want to continue to see? I asked at VAT closing and the answer was an overwhelming "meh."

2.) If it does continue, did you guys enjoy the new setting and night? Anything you want to see changed/improved? Differences between previous years you may have preferred?

3.) (If it does continue) Who do you want to see roasted in the future? Newer editors? Older Editors? Or keep varying them?

4.) Who do you want to see as roast master and roasters? I like to keep the seats open to people who haven't participated before, but If there is a favorite you all overwhelmingly want to see return it's about entertaining you guys.

5.) Any other general (constructive) commentary?

I want to hear feedback, because that's how the even will improve. :up:
Mr Pilkington

Postby Kitsuner » Thu Oct 03, 2013 12:30 am

Mr Pilkington wrote:If there is a favorite you all overwhelmingly want to see return it's about entertaining you guys.

8-) 8-) 8-)

Seriously though, I enjoy participating in the roast a lot, and the new format is pretty cool. I talked to you about this Saturday night, but in case you were too drunk to remember, I think Zarxrax would be a fantastic choice for next year's honoree. He's well-known to the point where he's become a verb in addition to popularizing a subgenre of comedy AMVs. Plus next year is AMV Hell's 10 year anniversary. Get ssgwnbtd as the roastmaster, plus some other funny editors he's worked with (who was that one guy who started out by sending 60 videos to Hell 3/0 again?) and you'll have a solid crew. AND! AND! He's made a lot of really funny and fun videos, so even if the roasters don't modify the stuff they show, the audience will still get good laughs.
OtakuGray wrote:Sometimes anime can branch out to a younger audience and this is one of those times where you wish children would just go die.
Stirspeare wrote:<Stirspeare> Lopez: Vanquish my virginity and flood me with kit. ["Ladies..."]
Kitsuner
Maximum Hotness

Postby ssgwnbtd » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:35 am

I might be able to host. Idk. I'd have to be a little drunk.
ssgwnbtd

Postby MaboroshiStudio » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:12 am

Maybe do it where the roasters are not roasting live... pre-recorded everything and edit it / play it on the big screen. It could combat time, stage fright and possibly make it more funny as it would be more scripted with pop-ups / photos and stuff. Don't get me wrong the live aspect is great in concept, but we are not comedians nor actors... so I say make it uber funny this way and see how people like it.

Kit or someone else could interrupt / hijack the video and give his translation / take on things as well like Tosh 2.0. The biggest thing that would be lost in this presentation is people burning each other in a direct manner... still people can make fun of each other in the video.
MaboroshiStudio

Next

Return to Anime Conventions