Nooby questions regarding Adobe AE & Premiere Pro

Nunusaur
Org Profile

Nooby questions regarding Adobe AE & Premiere Pro

Post by Nunusaur » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:25 am

Hello!

I've always used Sony Vegas to edit with, but I've recently started using AE. I don't know how to use it yet, but I'm learning through online tutorials. It seems extremely complicated for me, but I'm sure it'll get easier with time. I'm still quite confused and would like to ask a few questions, I'd be grateful if you could answer. I'm not quite sure what the difference is between Premiere Pro and AE. I'm guessing Premiere Pro is simply for editing purpose, and AE is just for effects? But I was wondering, is it necessary to actually go through Premiere Pro to edit, or could I only use AE to edit and add effects with, just like how Sony Vegas works?

Thanks in advance!

Replay Studios
A Studio Within A Studio
Org Profile

Re: Nooby questions regarding Adobe AE & Premiere Pro

Post by Replay Studios » Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:08 pm

after effects is composting software. Its for doing motion graphics, compositing, etc. Premiere is similar to vegas. You don't have to switch to premiere for after effects. I recommend you trying premiere out with after effects and see if you like it. One of the benefits though of using premiere with after effects is that you can use the adobe dynamic link (you can send your footage from your timeline to after effects without exporting footage).

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:05 am

What Replay said. I'd say if you find yourself enjoying AE, then give Premiere a try if you can. It's different enough from Vegas in terms of UI that it'll take some getting used to, but the Dynamic Link aspect of it is worth it IMO. But, the best editing software is the one that you're the fastest in, and if you already know Vegas like the back of your hand, then stick with it and figure out how to fit AE into your workflow.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Nunusaur
Org Profile

Post by Nunusaur » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:07 pm

Thank you both very much for the insight!

Another quick question: I've often heard of people using three particular softwares; Sony Vegas, After Effects and Photoshop. Whenever I try to open a sony vegas project into AE, it appears as one big clip, instead of several clips that I've cut and put together. How do people work with Sony Vegas and AE? Do they import clips one by one into AE, add effects to it, render and then import it back to Sony Vegas? Thanks!

Brad
Org Profile

Post by Brad » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:31 pm

Nunusaur wrote:Do they import clips one by one into AE, add effects to it, render and then import it back to Sony Vegas?
Yes.
Ask Brad an After Effects Question! - Forum - Site

Return to “Video Editing Software”