Virtualdub problems

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Virtualdub problems

Post by pacotacoshell » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:14 pm

So I got a new PC and I really don't remember what codecs I downloaded to make Vdub run so smoothly on my laptop but I've been having a few problems trying to convert some footage.

This is the script I've been using for over a year with no problems:
ffvideosource("insertvideohere.mkv", colorspace="yv12")
Now I'm getting a crap ton of artifacts or basically the screen is greyed out. I tried it out with two different videos just to make sure it wasn't due to the video I was using. I also tried running it without the colorspace and it was still the same.

Since it was impossible to convert like this I tried using Directshowsource instead, and I removed the colorspace in the script as well since apparently directshowsource doesn't handle that? (I really have no idea) The video ended up upside down in Vdub with the subtitles still there (normally the subtitles are removed from the get-go without me having to do anything).

I also have no idea how to fix that so I'm stumped. I normally convert to lossless lagarith but I don't mind converting to another codec as long as it's relatively quick and problem-free. :P The majority of anime I have is 10-bit as well so I'd like to use something that converts that to 8-bit.

Codecs and things that I've downloaded:
K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 10.0.0 (not sure if CCCP is better, if it is let me know and I'll download that instead)
AMVApp 3.1
UT Video codec
Quicktime (not sure if this is important but I'm throwing it out there)
I downloaded ffdshow again after having the grey screen in Vdub

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Virtualdub problems

Post by mirkosp » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:42 am

K-Lite is the devil. Uninstall it, or, better yet, format. Then, install CCCP.
Also, you will have to update ffms2.
https://code.google.com/p/ffmpegsource/downloads/list
2.17 should do.

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:14 am

Alright, I uninstalled K-Lite and downloaded CCCP. For the ffms2 file, how do I install it? I extracted the folder and clicked the .exe file which brought up cmd for a millisecond then closed. Am I supposed to be putting the folder or the .dll in a certain place?

pacotacoshell
Org Profile

Post by pacotacoshell » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:49 am

After some vigorous Windows Explorer searching, I found out where to put this thing and now everything works smoothly. Much thanks, mirko! :D

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Welp, sorry, forgot to mention it in my post. Well, even if you solved, I'll post here in case somebody stumbles upon the thread:
The .exe, .dll, and .avsi files go directly in the C:\Program Files (x86)\AviSynth 2.5\plugins folder (no subfolders, just directly there).

(Technically, it's not necessary to place the .exe there as well, but it's nice to have it in the same place so one knows where to look.)

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:41 pm

AMVapp is so out of date it's not even funny, I presonally think they need ot take it down and simply post links to the needed software as most of the posts about having issues with ffvideosource come from using an out of date version of ffmpegsource that came with AMVapp. Additionally, I don't feel development of CCCP was kept up well and I always recommend installing the software you need individually. I've encountered several people using newer builds of CCCP that have had issues that were fixed by uninstalling it and installing just same software individually. All you would need for playback would be Media Player Classic and the LAV filters, but ffdshow tryouts and Haali Media Splitter are nice alternatives to the LAV filters.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:44 am

Completely agree on the AMVApp point, and I'm guilty myself about that since I haven't done much yet on the new guide. But I have to strongly disagree about CCCP.
I don't think you are fully aware of what you are saying on that regard. You remember that CCCP was the first DirectShow thing to support 10bit back in the days, right? That was because the CCCP devs themselves patched ffdshow for 10bit. That's not the only thing they did. They had support for other mime types in haali splitter long before haali actually updated his splitter: that's because they manually patched the splitter's binary to include them. If something doesn't work, they fix it themselves, because they have all the knowledge and competence to do it. CCCP is the end all solution to direct show playback problems, and if something doesn't work the solution is hitting the "repair CCCP" button in the CCCP settings app, you can trust me on that.
I could understand having gripes back when updates were sparce and yearly at best, but now development is quite faster with more releases since JEEB is primarily on it.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:15 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the CCCP devs haven't done a lot of good over the years and I'll give props where they are do, but honestly I don't see the need for anything more than installing the basics when it comes to playback. On more than one occasion I've had people ask me for help after encountering weird glitchy issues after installing the latest CCCP. It could have been a bad version or a bad install, but I personally say that unless they are adding something the original devs haven't added yet (like 10bit) then the better option is to cut out the middle man and go to the source. I will say that it is the only codec pack that is mostly (not entirely) glitch free and keeps a basic set of only what you need in terms of playback.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

WhiteWK
Org Profile

Post by WhiteWK » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:04 pm

K-Lite is the devil
why?
for me, installing basic component's every update is pain in the ass... I'm think the k-lite have more update than other's codec pack and in ver. 9.9+ used unique pack installer for both x32 and x64 system.

mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Post by mirkosp » Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:33 pm

Simply put, the point behind K-Lite isn't simple playback for the average Joe, and the devs behind it aren't as knowledgeble about all things video related as the ones behind CCCP are.

Return to “Video & Audio Help”