Re: The Vent Thread

Post by Castor Troy » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:21 pm

Hang in there, George. :(
"You're ignoring everything, except what you want to hear.." - jbone

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:55 pm

Nah, my thing was never permanent. It's a contract job. I was promised an internship in Toronto, and the stupid thing is, I could have pushed to get another teaching contract, but since this seemed like a definite thing I didn't (in fact my department first offered me a teaching job, then turned me down as soon as they heard about this internship). But now the internship has sort of slipped and will probably not start till October-November at the earliest. In the meantime, the department aren't being their friendliest and in fact if it weren't for this internship, I suspect they would not be of any help in preventing Grad Studies (who are on my ass because, like most other PhD students, I'm taking much longer to finish my studies than the 4-year program term) from kicking me out. So it's sort of a shitty situation where I need this internship to continue my studies (my dissertation is even sort of riding on it), but it's preventing me from looking for other jobs and turning into a longer gap than I can fund.

On the bright side, if my school has nothing to offer me in the next month or so, my parents have already offered me to go with them on a road trip to British Columbia and be their main driver for about 3 weeks, which would sort of solve the whole "I don't have any money to live on" issue for a little bit \o/
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Ileia
WHAT IS PINK MAY NEVER DIE!
Org Profile

Post by Ileia » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:04 pm

Oh, I see. Well, they're still dicks!
:cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake: :cupcake:

Miaka999
Org Profile

Post by Miaka999 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:47 pm

your scaring me Otohiko from getting a phd. My adviser at my school said it takes in general 2 years just like masters.

ughh....been applying for jobs all damn day. Resumes, cover letters, and all that jazz. On top of that I am still studying to get into my masters program at a university for speech pathology. My brain is about to fry that not even Hannibal would love

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:11 pm

Miaka999 wrote:your scaring me Otohiko from getting a phd. My adviser at my school said it takes in general 2 years just like masters.
Lol, your advisor lied. It does vary by discipline, but the average actual time it takes to get a PhD is 6-7 years. That's on top of a masters, of course. It tends to be slightly less in technical disciplines, slightly more in humanities and social scientists. I work with multiple people who took a decade or longer to finish their PhD. Now been in the program for more than 5 years myself, which makes this the start of my 11th year in college. The ironic thing is that I'm now sick of academia and despise the university bureaucracy, and while I still love teaching, I can't wait to get the hell out of this environment.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Miaka999
Org Profile

Post by Miaka999 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:22 pm

god and i thought i was the only one that despised university bureaucracy. This year I graduated in May with a triple major in anthropology, psychology, and art. Was sick to death from taking 6 classes every semester. I was up from 6 am to 9 pm. It took me about 5 years to get a triple major done, but made it, thinking it wasn't possible. I cannot imagine taking 6-7 year phd...have to finish my masters though....man someone just give me a break and teleport me somewhere off into space (island more like it)

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Miaka999 wrote:god and i thought i was the only one that despised university bureaucracy. This year I graduated in May with a triple major in anthropology, psychology, and art. Was sick to death from taking 6 classes every semester. I was up from 6 am to 9 pm. It took me about 5 years to get a triple major done, but made it, thinking it wasn't possible. I cannot imagine taking 6-7 year phd...have to finish my masters though....man someone just give me a break and teleport me somewhere off into space (island more like it)
feels ;__; I know how that goes.

Do that Masters. Anyone can do a masters, and if you're thinking that somewhere, sometime maybe you'll want a masters - just do it now. You'll be better for it, and while taking a year off in between might not be a bad idea, don't put it off for long. You can get that out of the way quickly, and it's honestly a very good thing to get. It's not easy, but it's something that, if you're surviving 6 classes now and doing well, you'll adjust to pretty quickly.
For that PhD though, think long and hard before you commit to it, though. It's a big commitment and something that you don't want to go in before you know what you're getting into. Don't make the same mistake as me and jump into it because you feel like you have no other options. That's my honest advice!

Miaka999
Org Profile

Post by Miaka999 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:51 pm

for a long time i have been waiting for some honest advice and my adviser's have always put me down always in a demeaning way. Really no joke, this is great advice and a wake up call somehow for me because I have been really down in the dumps due to unemployment sadness. Definitely gonna go for it :) time to take out my GRE book oh god....

Spasibo Otohiko

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:45 pm

Bleh, shattered one of my toenails today in a bizarre accident while taking off a shoe. I give up, my accident-proneness is seriously off the charts. I hope nothing gets infected.

At least wine still works as a pretty good analgesic for me .__.

Miaka999
Org Profile

Post by Miaka999 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:00 pm

owwwww... hope it gets better. I heard that vodka helps too but just wash it and keep it clean. Saw accidents happen like that on more than one occasion.

the worst part of waking up is not having Folgers in your cup

Return to “General Discussion”