The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013 VAT AWA

Announcement & discussion of Anime Music Video contests
Forum rules
Coordinators who fail to maintain necessary communication with entrants, or provide timey updates on results may be barred from announcing future events.
BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Re: The Video Art Track at Anime Weekend Atlanta 2013 VAT AW

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:47 pm

Which goes to show it needs to be clarified I think.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

ReggieSmalls
Org Profile

Post by ReggieSmalls » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:46 pm

Submitted my 2nd video
Am I the meanest? Sho'nuff !
Am I the prettiest? Sho'nuff !
Am I the baddest mofo low down around this town? Sho'nuff!

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:42 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:Can you clarify something jingoro? Does Pro now have a "you can't get feedback from betas" mandate for WiP versions of files? Because I thought you had addressed that before when coming up with these rules and said the new rules wouldn't mess with people's creative process. I'm hearing that others don't agree on that point...

Also, the rules seem to be worded differently in different places... Your TL;DR version for Pro implies submitting to another contest before the con is a nono, while the long version seems to say it can't be shown prior to the con dates... which is it? (I'm asking this as a contest coordinator for a contest with a deadline the week after AWA).
I'm sorry, I thought I replied to this earlier, but I don't see my answer here, so here goes again. :-)

The restriction to new submissions in pro is new, and isn't as finely tuned as in Masters. We've tried to keep this friendly and reasonable, which might be the source of some of the ambiguity. My understanding was that the participants of Pro felt that asking for new submissions would step up the level of competition in Pro, and to that effect, the intent is that, when y'all get your set of videos for the judging, you will be seeing something new. You shouldn't recognize anyone's video from any other contest or award ceremony. As the director, it's my interest to have this be true for our audience at AWA as well... that those in attendance can come to the awards show knowing that they're going to see a lot of great new videos.

The long version is always the correct version over any of my comments or summaries... you may submit your video to other conventions as long as they do not distribute or screen your video (including judging copies, should they operate a contest similar to our professional awards) prior to the end of our awards show.

I don't have the time nor the will to police this strictly, so if it becomes a problem, it'll go down the way lodging a complaint in horse racing goes. Someone will email me saying someone's breaking the rules and will either provide me a link, a google search, a public forum post, or some other kind of evidence and we'll take it from there. Or someone will explain special circumstances to me in advance and I'll be prepared to explain if things are questioned. I've already had one person explain that though their video was submitted to another convention, because of technical problems it did not compete nor screen, a perfect example of something I hadn't anticipated, and I've let them know that submitting such a video to Pro is A-OK with me.

I hope this helps,
-Jingoro

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:11 pm

jingoro wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:Can you clarify something jingoro? Does Pro now have a "you can't get feedback from betas" mandate for WiP versions of files? Because I thought you had addressed that before when coming up with these rules and said the new rules wouldn't mess with people's creative process. I'm hearing that others don't agree on that point...

Also, the rules seem to be worded differently in different places... Your TL;DR version for Pro implies submitting to another contest before the con is a nono, while the long version seems to say it can't be shown prior to the con dates... which is it? (I'm asking this as a contest coordinator for a contest with a deadline the week after AWA).
I'm sorry, I thought I replied to this earlier, but I don't see my answer here, so here goes again. :-)

The restriction to new submissions in pro is new, and isn't as finely tuned as in Masters. We've tried to keep this friendly and reasonable, which might be the source of some of the ambiguity. My understanding was that the participants of Pro felt that asking for new submissions would step up the level of competition in Pro, and to that effect, the intent is that, when y'all get your set of videos for the judging, you will be seeing something new. You shouldn't recognize anyone's video from any other contest or award ceremony. As the director, it's my interest to have this be true for our audience at AWA as well... that those in attendance can come to the awards show knowing that they're going to see a lot of great new videos.

The long version is always the correct version over any of my comments or summaries... you may submit your video to other conventions as long as they do not distribute or screen your video (including judging copies, should they operate a contest similar to our professional awards) prior to the end of our awards show.

I don't have the time nor the will to police this strictly, so if it becomes a problem, it'll go down the way lodging a complaint in horse racing goes. Someone will email me saying someone's breaking the rules and will either provide me a link, a google search, a public forum post, or some other kind of evidence and we'll take it from there. Or someone will explain special circumstances to me in advance and I'll be prepared to explain if things are questioned. I've already had one person explain that though their video was submitted to another convention, because of technical problems it did not compete nor screen, a perfect example of something I hadn't anticipated, and I've let them know that submitting such a video to Pro is A-OK with me.

I hope this helps,
-Jingoro
It does help, though i was more concerned with the first part that was less clear (i.e., some people felt the rules said that we're not allowed to solicit feedback from other people, i.e. "beta" our entries) rather than the last part - that was for other people's benefit who might be submitting to me for AAC.
| | |

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:42 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:some people felt the rules said that we're not allowed to solicit feedback from other people, i.e. "beta" our entries)
So long as soliciting feedback doesn't involve public distribution, you're fine with soliciting feedback. This goes directly to my comments on the other half of your question... if you solicit feedback in a way that lets someone lodge a complaint with "evidence I can verify", then I cannot tell the difference between you soliciting feedback and the proscribed advance distribution.

l33tmeatwad
Org Profile

Post by l33tmeatwad » Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:46 pm

jingoro wrote:
BasharOfTheAges wrote:some people felt the rules said that we're not allowed to solicit feedback from other people, i.e. "beta" our entries)
So long as soliciting feedback doesn't involve public distribution, you're fine with soliciting feedback. This goes directly to my comments on the other half of your question... if you solicit feedback in a way that lets someone lodge a complaint with "evidence I can verify", then I cannot tell the difference between you soliciting feedback and the proscribed advance distribution.
Personally I think soliciting feedback from others you know are going to participate in Pro should be discouraged simply because it really goes against the whole anonymity that it's supposed to have. We all know it's going to happen and there is no way to prove it, but I still think it should be discouraged.
Software & Guides: AMVpack | AMV 101 | AviSynth 101 | VapourSynth 101
PixelBlended Studios: Website | Twitter | YouTube

jingoro
Org Profile

Post by jingoro » Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:03 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
jingoro wrote:
Personally I think soliciting feedback from others you know are going to participate in Pro should be discouraged simply because it really goes against the whole anonymity that it's supposed to have. We all know it's going to happen and there is no way to prove it, but I still think it should be discouraged.
I don't disagree, but with no effective way to police it, my opinion means little.

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:04 pm

l33tmeatwad wrote:
jingoro wrote:
I swore I also read somewhere about being careful where you put it if you're not submitting the file directly (in other words providing a link). Last thing any of us want is to have our video show up on a site like YT that was submitted by someone other than yourself. I've shown my entry to a couple people whom I asked if they were competing first for feedback. But that's because I prefer it to be a surprise to those who are competing.
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:34 pm

jingoro wrote:
It'd be pretty pointless to be betaing your final version anyways... and per your previous distinction, anything other than the final, submitted version is technically not the same video. :lol:
| | |

SailorDeath
Org Profile

Post by SailorDeath » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:40 pm

BasharOfTheAges wrote:
jingoro wrote:
It'd be pretty pointless to be betaing your final version anyways... and per your previous distinction, anything other than the final, submitted version is technically not the same video. :lol:
So, wait, if I remade one of my old videos that was say posted here a while ago, I could submit the remake and it wouldn't get DQ'd? Jingoro is that correct?
Gimme a minute, I'll make a cool one....

Return to “AMV Contests”