Fixing grain and deinterlacing? (Code Geass)

This forum is for questions and discussion of all the aspects of handling and cleaning up your footage with Avisynth.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Re: Fixing grain and deinterlacing? (Code Geass)

Post by mirkosp » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:24 pm

In order to fullscreen, you are effectively resizing the footage to fit that screen. That's upscaling, if just for playback purposes and not in-source. Inflating the resolution is just going to make more obvious issues that can be less visible at a lower resolution. Ideally, if you're ok with that, you could downscale your footage to something like 768x432 or 704x396; it's pretty sad to do that in 2013, but when you downscale, you're going to blur and hide some of the artefacts, so it's an easy way out, though it won't suffice on its own. Assuming you can get the worst of it gone with smoothd2 and the rest with the downscale, it should looks somewhat decent even if small.

BasharOfTheAges
Just zis guy, you know?
Org Profile

Post by BasharOfTheAges » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:31 pm

Dext3r wrote: I just fullscreened what I'm working with in premiere and took a screenshot.
lol wut?

You're confusing the issue by using a preview codec + forced upscale. Show us your filtered source before you put it in premiere at the normal resolution it's at.
Anime Boston Fan Creations Coordinator (2019-2023)
Anime Boston Fan Creations Staff (2016-2018)
Another Anime Convention AMV Contest Coordinator 2008-2016
| | |

Dext3r
Org Profile

Post by Dext3r » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:05 am

mirkosp wrote:In order to fullscreen, you are effectively resizing the footage to fit that screen. That's upscaling, if just for playback purposes and not in-source. Inflating the resolution is just going to make more obvious issues that can be less visible at a lower resolution. Ideally, if you're ok with that, you could downscale your footage to something like 768x432 or 704x396; it's pretty sad to do that in 2013, but when you downscale, you're going to blur and hide some of the artefacts, so it's an easy way out, though it won't suffice on its own. Assuming you can get the worst of it gone with smoothd2 and the rest with the downscale, it should looks somewhat decent even if small.
BasharOfTheAges wrote:
Dext3r wrote: I just fullscreened what I'm working with in premiere and took a screenshot.
lol wut?

You're confusing the issue by using a preview codec + forced upscale. Show us your filtered source before you put it in premiere at the normal resolution it's at.
My fault, I didn't realize that was using a different codec and screwing everything up.

I had a long conversation with L33twad, and actually tried exporting and discovered it was something in Premiere's codec and apparently not at all in the original source (to my knowledge).

I'm now using a version of mvtools' mdegrain (which is incredibly slow and going to take days to convert all the footage).

Return to “AviSynth Help”