Free!

This section is for the rational discussion of anime on a series basis. Spoilers should be expected, but please be courteous to your fellow users.
mirkosp
The Absolute Mudman
Org Profile

Free!

Post by mirkosp » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:25 am

ANN wrote:The story revolves around Nanase Haruka, a boy who has always loved to be immersed in water, and to swim in it. Before graduating from elementary school, he participated in a swimming tournament along with his fellow swimming club members, Tachibana Makoto, Hazuki Nagisa and Matsuoka Rin. After achieving victory, each of the boys went their separate ways.

Time passed, and in the middle of their uneventful high school lives Rin appears and challenges Haruka to a match, showing Haruka his overwhelming power. Not wanting it to end like this, Haruka, gathers together Makoto and Nagisa once again and brings a new member named Ryuugazaki Rei to create the Iwatobi High School Swimming Club in order to defeat Rin.

Otohiko
Org Profile

Re: Free!

Post by Otohiko » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:21 pm

I'll just be the first to come out and say that I'm in this 100% for the manservice. Even if I'm a straight guy. Judge me.

No, seriously, out of the 4 or 5 shows aimed at bishounen-hungry fujoshi this season, this one is by far the least creepy and most tasteful, and actually has some semblance of plot. And the water animation is pretty, and as a former competitive swimmer myself, I gotta say it really captures that feeling very well.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:39 pm

Started watching because the butthurt KyoAni fanboys amused me, but this is actually a really quirky and fun show! It's a fun watch every week.

AimoAio
Being elegantly...lazy
Org Profile

Post by AimoAio » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:23 pm

D'aww glasses guy was so cute. ><
Spoiler :
Especially when he dived in the water despite not knowing how to swim. :rofl:

Jasta85
Org Profile

Post by Jasta85 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:46 pm

so, aside from the above manservice and plot, is it comedy? drama? I got nothing against man-love so as long as there's actually a good series behind the gayness i'll check it out

Otohiko
Org Profile

Post by Otohiko » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:21 am

Jasta85 wrote:so, aside from the above manservice and plot, is it comedy? drama? I got nothing against man-love so as long as there's actually a good series behind the gayness i'll check it out
Spoiler :
There's no actual gayness.
So far, it seems like a story about rivalry between one guy who wants to prove that he's the best, and the other guy who completely doesn't care about competing (or apparently care about anything) but just likes to swim.
The Birds are using humanity in order to throw something terrifying at this green pig. And then what happens to us all later, that’s simply not important to them…

Hagaren Viper
Org Profile

Post by Hagaren Viper » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:00 am

I'm actually enjoying this much more than I thought I would, but if anyone walks in the room while speedo Rei is on the screen I'm going to be mortified :uhoh:

alchemymini
doesn't eat shoes
Org Profile

Post by alchemymini » Thu Jul 25, 2013 2:47 am

I actually really like this show! I went into it wanting to see how KyoAni handled manservice, and instead got manservice+ enjoyable story+ great comedy. I was pleasantly surprised~!

EimiJ7
Org Profile

Post by EimiJ7 » Thu Jul 25, 2013 11:31 am

AimoAio wrote:D'aww glasses guy was so cute. ><
Spoiler :
Especially when he dived in the water despite not knowing how to swim. :rofl:
My feelings exactly!

catgod
cat stalker
Org Profile